Weekends Football 21/23 January

andykeenan

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree - there are some decisions where they can make the decision either way depending on a lot of factors.

Like this penalty.

The reason VAR is unpopular is that those factors tend to be steered toward teams with certain badges.

It’s that clear and obvious shit with this penalty, how they think that is enough to change the original decision is crazy. The extra look, the extra review, just gives another opportunity to overthink it and make a bad call, it makes decisions twice and more as susceptible to inherent biases. Whether that bias is what the referee wants, what the league wants or what the narrative wants. Conspiracy is not the right word really. Referees being forced to make their decisions in a split second and without further review is GOOD for making the right call, any VAR should and was always supposed to be there to prevent the most horrendous of errors.

I **** hate it.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd like to see two things.

• I'd like to see it taken off referees - let referees referee games and put in a separate group of people to VAR - an independent group who never meet those referees and don't have relationships with them.
  • I'd like all of the communication made available to the public, all the stuff in the earpiece, all the discussion in the VAR studio, everything.

Yep, it’s time for transparency and then accountability.

Right now there is zero of either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• I'd like to see it taken off referees - let referees referee games and put in a separate group of people to VAR - an independent group who never meet those referees and don't have relationships with them.
  • I'd like all of the communication made available to the public, all the stuff in the earpiece, all the discussion in the VAR studio, everything.

I think being able to hear them would infuriate us more. Would it really help? It would just further highlight their incompetence 

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

There's definitely something odd going on. It's all very fishy.

Scudamore in 2016:

"Without being disrespectful to any club, we have a strategic plan at the Premier League and the strategic plan says putting a new name on the trophy in every six-year period."

Link

Jesus Christ, seeing it again that’s absolutely **** embarrassing. VAR should be demoted and the on field ref too for being swayed by such a shit call at StOcKlEy PaRk. Shows that the farce of the monitor is all for show, any self respecting referee would go and look and say ‘mate what are you seeing, I clearly made the right call. Get a grip,’

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Also the Premier League should bin the current group of officials and go and try and hire the best talent world wide. 

Just now, tomav84 said:

I think being able to hear them would infuriate us more. Would it really help? It would just further highlight their incompetence 

They’d have to actually do their jobs and explain themselves, which would be a start

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Scudamore in 2016:

"Without being disrespectful to any club, we have a strategic plan at the Premier League and the strategic plan says putting a new name on the trophy in every six-year period."

Link

Narrative. It’s dangerously close to ‘Sports Entertainment’.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Also the Premier League should bin the current group of officials and go and try and hire the best talent world wide. 

I'd go one further and try and bring on board more ex players. 

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I'd go one further and try and bring on board more ex players. 

The answer for me is they try and make it a viable career option for academy players that don't make it 

That's way they'll have the football angle covered as well as the athleticism whilst still being able to be moulded in to what they need to be

Edit - FWIW I think academy players should be offered the chance to do coaching badges as well, fail to make the 1st team and then they have the choice of drop down the pyramid in to the EFL, be a ref, be a coach, scouting, medical side of it or leave football all together 

For an industry that has such a shocking percentage for making it at the top level there doesn't seem to be that many alternatives on offer 

Edited by villa4europe

Just now, tomav84 said:

Perhaps this is needed, a spotlight needs to go on the whole thing.

Them justifying it in the moment and detailing their thought process is so important as it prevents them and their mates retrospectively combing through rule books for a tenuous explanation which has never been interpreted that way before and never will be again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, it’s time for transparency and then accountability.

Right now there is zero of either.

Surely referee reports should be made public as to why these decisions were made 

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pawson is quickly becoming the worst in the league for me.

Think I said it before Mike Dean is probably the best Premier League referee which really says it all

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is where I am with it, this current bunch of officials are not fit for the job. Needs to be an independent group like say. 

Also yes you should be able to hear the dialog between the VAR team and the ref. 

The standard of officials in the premier league is the worst. 100% bias involved in their decisions, they are scared to upset Klopp or Pep 

Â