Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

Having now seen the goals on TV rather than the corner of the lower North, I absolutely can blame him for the 4th goal. Deflection or not, he should be keeping that out. Not sure what he's doing to be honest.

• Like 3

In my opinion,  if he has a decent game or makes good saves, collects crosses with confidence I am "oh..erm...OK...wow !" as if I wasn't expecting that to happen. My mindset with him is preset to expect a cock up or nervy performance. 

We have been spoilt with Emi and perhaps that's why we don't think Olsen will ever be anywhere near him ever.....and I am sure olsen knows how the fans perceive him, rightly or wrongly 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t he actually play for Everton but they decided not to keep him?

Oh wow really? Yikes. 

Fact of the matter is, we concede a lot more goals with him between the sticks than we do without (granted it's Emi who he's compared against).

That must weight on his mind when he's playing and knock his confidence before we've even kicked off. Is he averaging like 3 goals conceded per game in his Villa starts?

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Fact of the matter is, we concede a lot more goals with him between the sticks than we do without (granted it's Emi who he's compared against).

That must weight on his mind when he's playing and knock his confidence before we've even kicked off. Is he averaging like 3 goals conceded per game in his Villa starts?

Yeah, it was a goal every 40 minutes before last night...

4 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Sorry, You can't pin any of the goals on Olsen.

Yes I can.

Second one hilarious when he's running after the guy. What did he think was going to happen? It's like he forgot he's a keeper.

Fourth one any decent keeper keeps that out.

4 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Blame the midfield and the defense instead...

Yeah, they were shit as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Well he has managed to do that in his last 1.5 starts which isn't great.

The mythology of robin Olsen…

I took my 13 yr old daughter last night. She was desperate to sit in the holte for the atmosphere so I agreed - L4.

A few minutes in there was a corner where it looked for all the world like Olsen had misjudged it and was going to miss it. We let out a gasp and shudder together. Fortunately he reached it and palmed it out of the area. We then got four word expletives from two men in front of us:: what the f is wrong with you, that was a good save’

fast forward to second goal. My daughter plays in goal and shows a fantastic tactical awareness whenever she plays. She dared to say to me aloud that she thought Olsen should have cut off the angle better and made himself bigger…again the men turned….

and then the fourth goal. I let out an OMG or words to that effect. Once again were told how Olsen hadn’t done anything wrong and there was no way was he stopping it. I said he got his hand to it, and also felt he had gone too early for a shot from that range. Still think he should have saved it. More expletives at me this time.

Should have been a memorable experience for her but instead this was all she was talking about for 2 hours going home.

We supported the team the whole way, just spur of the moment reactions and comments between ourselves. Yet when the midfield are passing to invisible men and Lenglet gifting corners away, momentary groans are allowable.

So this is the mythology. He’s either the worst keeper since Gabor the pyjama man or to others, someone who never puts a foot wrong and the rest of the world is to blame. The truth (backed by stats) is that he isn’t a top keeper. Too slow, not commanding, reflexes not on a par with most premier league keepers. He’s bang average and we need better for our number 2 (but I’ll whisper that quietly in case I offend again).

Rant over!!!!

• Like 1

Even if goals aren’t his fault, clearly something is going wrong if we’re conceding 3 a game on average with him there. He both makes the defence jittery as hell, and can’t play in our system where the GK is the most used player. Surprised Gauci hasn’t been given a go tbh 

• Like 1

I didn't think initially that the 2nd or 4th were on him, but he definitely should have done better for the 2nd - he runs in a completely straight line and gives their striker every chance to knock it to his left/keepers right. He assumed he'd take it first time and looked daft when he spotted Olsen and just nodded it left. He then compounded that by diving at the wrong height. 4th goal is tough as deflections are so hard to stop, but why on earth is he trying to fist that (insert Kenneth here)? If he'd used his hand he'd have got more on it and pushed it up/wider.

Be interesting if we wrap up 4th this weekend if Gauci gets a go in the Palace game - be a bit unfair to throw him in against Liverpool, but that may be an indication that Olsen isn't seen as #2 next season.

I don't see where we'd ship him off to mind you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Sorry, You can't pin any of the goals on Olsen. Blame the midfield and the defense instead...

The more I see it the more that 4th should be saved. His fists are clenched which looks all wrong. I think the second looks awkward too, they are not clangers but just fail the eye test tbh, looks iffy.

At first I thought blaming the 4th goal on him would be harsh as the deflection gave him no chance, but having seen the highlights he could have done better with that with a stronger hand. I do think that Olsen doesn't instil great confidence in the defence in front of him, and I won't be overly sad when he leaves us. Hopefully our next back up goalkeeper will be of a better standard, and we should be able to demand better with Champions League qualification and continuing to finish in the top 6 positions.

This next part is speculation on my part, so I may well be wrong and would like to hear if I am wrong from people who are closer to the pitch. I do wonder what Olsen's communication is like with the back 4/6 inc CM's? Is he quiet goalie or quite verbal and loud. I always think back to Les Sealey, not the greatest goalkeeper in the league by any means, but he would be barking orders to the back line all match and keeping them on their toes and therefore did quite well as a goalkeeper. Likewise I get the feeling Emi is very vocal and talks to the defence all match. I kind of get that feeling that Olsen is quiet and not very communicative and that leads to confusion and uncertainty like with Diego against Chelsea when Palmer had a great chance to win the match near the end.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is he playing on Sunday? If so I think Emery might need to change the way he sets the team up. 

2 goalkeepers? 

• Haha 3

I think he should just be released in the summer. 

When he's in goal, 1 of our players may as well just go and stick 3 OGs past him and have done with it. Least then it gives us 85mins to come back. 

Up there with the worst I've seen at this club. We've had some decent number 2s but he's in the Kiraly realms of shyte. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

I’m not a goalkeeper, but I don’t see how he was that bad for the second goal? First seemed worse if anything. 

He just charged out with no conviction, giving the striker the opening to finish under him. Kind of like Raya for Watkins' goal at the Emirates. Just made up his mind for him. 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He just charged out with no conviction, giving the striker the opening to finish under him. Kind of like Raya for Watkins' goal at the Emirates. Just made up his mind for him. 

I think that's a bit harsh.  The defence has completely bailed leaving a striker 1-on-1.  Olsen comes out to try and get the striker to act quickly rather than giving him time, but he manages to get a header across the box and finish smartly.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think that's a bit harsh.  The defence has completely bailed leaving a striker 1-on-1.  Olsen comes out to try and get the striker to act quickly rather than giving him time, but he manages to get a header across the box and finish smartly.

I wouldn't say that goal was particularly his fault, but like a lot of the discussion around Olsen it does highlight one of his deficiencies, in this case the poor starting positions he takes up. Or maybe they're not poor because we're so used to Emi, but it can't be a coincidence we concede so much when he's on the pitch. Everything he does looks panicked and reactive.

One theory I have is that he, like most current keepers is from an era where keepers didn't need to be so proactive. Our entire platform as a team is built upon this pillar, and if it's even a little bit shaky, we crumble. Before keepers just needed to be solid at their various duties, as and when it's required of them (like Olsen generally is). The ones who were proactive stood out from the pack (ex: Neuer), and as the game evolved more keepers started to play this way. Emi made the transition beautifully, Olsen just doesn't seem to be able to. Limited game time doesn't help of course, but his weaknesses stick out like a sore thumb in Emery's team.

Edited by Keyblade

Â