Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We were a shambles at Newcastle,  Liverpool and Warsaw. Maybe the keeper isn't the issue?

As if there is always ever one issue?

Olsen is one of the main issues whenever he plays. There were many glaring issues tonight and Olsen probably wasn't event one of the top 3. Doesn't change the fact that he cost us a goal in a game we lost by a one goal margin.

• Like 1

I dont understand why he has to play. Its not like Martinez has to run around much. He is there tonight anyway so not like he has had a night off.

We know what Olsen is, Emery knows what Olsen is and Olsen knows what Olsen is. He is a £1-2 million goalkeeper being asked to play out when he really struggles to.

Surely Olsen isnt demanding to play in all these cup games?

Im not blaming him by the way. I just dont get the necessity to not play a first choice keeper.

31 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont understand why he has to play. Its not like Martinez has to run around much. He is there tonight anyway so not like he has had a night off.

We know what Olsen is, Emery knows what Olsen is and Olsen knows what Olsen is. He is a £1-2 million goalkeeper being asked to play out when he really struggles to.

Im not blaming him by the way. I just dont get the necessity to not play a first choice keeper.

Is it because of Martinez’s ongoing nerve damage that he has to rest him when he can

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Well he only plays the cup games and given our recent record, that is not going to be too many more games this season is it.

The goalkeeper is such an unique position.

The thing is if a goalkeeper isn't confident it not only affects that one position it will have an effect on the entire defence.

There is no reason not playing Martinez every game unless he is injured. 

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Difference is we actually win games when emis in goal

We have also conceded 11 in 3 losses with him in goal

Emi is a great keeper and Olsen isnt but the stick to beat Olsen is always quicker. I thought a goal or 2 vs Legia Emi could have done better for example

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have also conceded 11 in 3 losses with him in goal

Emi is a great keeper and Olsen isnt but the stick to beat Olsen is always quicker. I thought a goal or 2 vs Legia Emi could have done better for example

But look at the teams that was against newcastle liverpool

Olsen plays against stevanage and everton and concedes lame goals at his near post. 

Im sorry but olsens a terrible number 2. When steer was here i had confidence in him when he stepped in. In olsen i have very little faith.

• Like 1

He's an alright shot stopper. But every goalkeeper at the top level is a good shot stopper. It's the rest of their game that is more important these days and it's obvious Olsen's isn't up to scratch.

I can't see how he's ever going to have any success here, even as a backup. He's just not good enough

8 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

What have missed here sorry? Nerve damage?

Think Emi has a knee issue or it has been reported that he cant always train fully. Have definitely read it before but not sure how accurate it is

5 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

He's alright (and I've defended him in here quite a bit) but it's just asking for trouble when you involve him so heavily in the build-up. Not sure why Emery insists on it. Not sure why the goalkeeper was even rotated, really.

So he can play? Goalkeeper rotation in cups is something Emery has always done.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Did he save McGinn’s attempt to become an Everton legend  or did it hit the post ? My commentators said it was the post , but I could have sworn it was a great reflex save ? 

he saved it with his face.

it literally smacked him on the face and flew off wide of the post.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's an alright shot stopper. But every goalkeeper at the top level is a good shot stopper. It's the rest of their game that is more important these days and it's obvious Olsen's isn't up to scratch.

I can't see how he's ever going to have any success here, even as a backup. He's just not good enough

Yeah, he doesn't have a redeeming other feature.  Decent shot stopper and also good with his feet - fantastic.  Decent shot stopper and also commanding on crosses - we can work with that.

He has nothing else, though.  His throwing seems OK, I guess?  

• Like 1

Not saying the 2nd goal vs Everton was his fault  but he was in absolute no man's land. 

Would've been harder for DCL to miss than score. Should of just rushed DCL and made him make a decision instead he started coming out then back peddled and inevitably conceded. 

Â