Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

We may need him again before the season is out and whilst he is terrible, it would be nice if the fans didn’t get on his back on social media and when he’s on the pitch to undermine his confidence further. The club will be aware of his limitations and can address it in the summer (please god).

I get the intent behind what you're saying, but at the same time if some guy who tips the scales at 30 stone gets called fat on Twitter, I'd be shocked if it was the first time he'd thought about it. Lad owns a mirror.

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

You haven't lived very long then.

Olsen is not a good goalkeeper but Enckelman and Postma, I'm sorry to say, were far worse than this guy. Comically worse. Not that long ago, we had to suffer Orjan fecking Nyland for christ sake.

HEY! Don’t you talk smack about Orjan. His last ditch clearance against Sheffield United and semi final performance against Leicester made us the team we are today. ❤️ Orjan.

But yeh, Olsen is s***.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i wont comment on the ball he dropped/spilled leaving an open goal that was luckily missed....but.....

the more i watch that Toney goal, the more annoyed i get with it, Olsen literally moves across his goal in a completely upright position, as if he's going for a stroll, if he was rushing across, semi crouched/ready to spring, like most keepers would, he may have had a chance of saving it, but Olsen literally walks across his goal, completely upright and it goes through his legs.....while he is still standing upright, its like he was a member of the Kings Guard he was so straight and upright, no bent knees or spring, ready to adjust.............then he falls on to the post as he tries to close his legs.

He is a really, really poor keeper, even his basic starting body shapes are terrible.

just look at this......

123.gif

Spring? The man can't bend. I'm not even sure he has joints

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Olsen is not great, but he's nowhere near the worst keeper I've seen. Considering he's playing backup to officially the best keeper in the world, he's not as bad as he's being made out to be.

That said, our backup has to be good enough to play Emery's style competently so as not to unsettle the defence, and for that reason alone he should be replaced unfortunately.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

We may need him again before the season is out and whilst he is terrible, it would be nice if the fans didn’t get on his back on social media and when he’s on the pitch to undermine his confidence further. The club will be aware of his limitations and can address it in the summer (please god).

Or like any good keeper he can embrace the opportunity and show he is a good keeper.

Every time he plays he makes clangers and did another yesteeday that almost cost us. 

Honwstly i would rathwr give our youngster keeper a go than olsen. He is absolutely atrocious as bad as nyland

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TomC said:

I will be the first to say that he's not particularly good, but if he's wearing the shirt and giving his best effort, he doesn't deserve that sort of vitriol.

Yeah my bad, I was drunk and pissed off so a recipe for disaster, I mean i even called him a lama for reasons unknown so I apologise to all any lamas that were offended and take that back. 

Principle stands though, Hes still a useless word removed. 

I think it’s a stretch blaming the goal from yesterday on him. Looking at a replay of their goal yesterday, Young messed up and should have hooked it behind for a corner but missed the ball. Toney got a good connection and the rest is history.

However, I think we need to look at a new back up goalkeeper in the summer. Olsen is a poor choice as back up keeper, he seems very nervy and that spreads through the whole back line when he plays. It is strange as he is an international keeper and played in some big teams in the past.

I am not sure whether his head has gone, his confidence shot? Once that is gone then it is very hard to get back. Much like a golfer who gets the yips, every small putt fills you with nerves and it’s a downward spiral from there. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I don’t see the point of bashing him, clearly the players don’t even have confidence in him and he no doubt knows this.

We just need a half competent second keeper in the summer, like a Sam Johnstone, Jack Butland, Dubravka etc. They don’t have to cost a lot but are happy to sit on the bench and work behind Martinez. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Or like any good keeper he can embrace the opportunity and show he is a good keeper.

Every time he plays he makes clangers and did another yesteeday that almost cost us. 

Honwstly i would rathwr give our youngster keeper a go than olsen. He is absolutely atrocious as bad as nyland

He is like the goalkeeper equivalent of Harry mcguire. Not comfortable playing out from the back and makes errors every game. 

13 hours ago, est1874 said:

No, Nyland was not better than Olsen.

Nyland peaked nicely for those Leicester SF where he did pull off some incredible saves but his all round game was really bad and certainly on a par with Olsen's.

I remember a game v Wolves when he just rolled the ball straight out to one of their players who somehow then fired it straight over the bar. Obviously Sheffield United which was a one in a million thing not to concede a goal from and can also remember a game where a corner was swung in, he caught it and then a second later it squirmed out of his grass but just rolled wide of the post.

Stuff like that just spreads panic into our backline. Heaton was no Emi but was a vast difference in terms of confidence when we signed him for the prem season, Steer aswell when he had a run in our promotion side.

Both Nyland and Olsen are the same, it's a shock when either go through games without making a basic error.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Nyland peaked nicely for those Leicester SF where he did pull off some incredible saves but his all round game was really bad and certainly on a par with Olsen's.

I remember a game v Wolves when he just rolled the ball straight out to one of their players who somehow then fired it straight over the bar. Obviously Sheffield United which was a one in a million thing not to concede a goal from and can also remember a game where a corner was swung in, he caught it and then a second later it squirmed out of his grass but just rolled wide of the post.

Stuff like that just spreads panic into our backline. Heaton was no Emi but was a vast difference in terms of confidence when we signed him for the prem season, Steer aswell when he had a run in our promotion side.

Both Nyland and Olsen are the same, it's a shock when either go through games without making a basic error.

Reina's reflexes had gone by the time he came here but he still played with confidence in his ability. It helped.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 11:10, AshVilla said:

It was if all the confidence drained from the players when Olsen came on.

The whole team dropped deeper and we switched from pushing for the win to a damage control exercise.

As they put it in The Times, he "radiates uncertainty".

Easily the worst keeper I've ever seen in a Villa shirt, he looks like a throw back to the days before you could have a goalie on the bench and you had to put an outfield player in goal if your number one went off.

• Like 1

Â