Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He can't pass the ball???????

He's one of the best passers in the top 5 leagues. So he's one of the best passers and progressive passers in our team. Stats are stats. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Exactly, at the end of his loan him and the manager should have been shown the door as it was obvious neither were good enough.

Except Purslow then triumphantly announced him as our signing at the end of season awards, on a massive four year contract. Whoops.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Phil isn’t some experiment, he’s a valued member of the squad who is struggling for confidence. Some of the comments about him go far beyond fair criticism of his performance yesterday. There’s a lot of problems in the squad, but Phil isn’t solely responsible for it. 

No agenda he is one of the weakest links in our team. People seem to think Coutinho is the one that went to Barcelona in 2018

He isnt he is finished and has probably played 4 good games since he joined. Yesterday was his 32nd appearance

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

spacer.png

I'm out of here. You're all insane

Yeah Coutinho being in the team was a major part of the problem. He was one of the main creative forces in the team that did not create a thing. He was one of the players who was always trying to thread intricate passes through a packed centre of the pitch, which bar one instance where Sanson scored was not threatening the Stevenage goalkeeper. He was tidy, but ineffective in my opinion. The less said about his shooting the better, all bar one of his shots sailed high and wide, the one on target was staright down the goalkeepers throat. I am not sure what he offers for us as a team going forward.

• Like 2

He could be effective if you built the team around him, specifically for him and play In his little pockets of space but that's not going to happen and he's never going to be the player he was at Liverpool so don't see it working out for him 

Edited by PaulC

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He could be effective if you built the team around him, specifically for him and play In his little pockets of space but that's not going to happen and he's never going to be the player he was at Liverpool so don't see it working out for him 

Problem is he has never really had a team built around him before. Maybe the season before Klopp took over he was the starman but that's it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Excellent cross and it’s a very different game if Chambers could finish 

Bit harsh I think, defender used his body well meaning Chambers had to get around him to make contact, it's not an easy chance because he can't strike it clean

Would expect a striker to do it due to better movement but don't think it's easy for a defender

If Chambers had done that defending at the other end I'd have been happy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

When does it ever 'go right' for him? The criticism he's facing is in part because yesterday is not some isolated incident. 

I think it last went right in uhh *checks notes* the final game of the 21/22 season, which also happened to be the last time it went right since March 2022.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He's one of the best passers in the top 5 leagues. So he's one of the best passers and progressive passers in our team. Stats are stats. 

I wouldn’t say the stats suggest he’s one of the best passers in the top 5 leagues. They’re ok at best 

Sunday was a big chance for him to turn things around and he blew it. : <  Five attempts but only one of them on target. (And two of the off target ones were "wild"). I wonder if he blew it because he was too stressed and anxious to impress in his first start under the new manager. This may have resulted in a lack of composure.

Just not up to the physicallity or pace of the league anymore. His legs have gone and we are not good enough to carry any pasengers. That adrenaline-driven, new club bounce spell was clealry the exception. Never looks like beating a man, scoring or opening up a low block defence. Great player back in the day but sadly not what we need now. A very expensive mistake that I am sure we will cut our losses on in the Summer whilst supplementing his salary for the rest of his contract.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Agree mate. He clearly knows what he wants to do but his body does not facilitate it anymore. Need to quickly move him on and try to free up some wages if we can so as not to encroach too much on FFP with new signings.

On 09/01/2023 at 04:30, birdman said:

Yes clearly a troubled player felt a bit sorry for him when the TV pictures kept cutting to him when he was sat on the bench.

I hope he gets one or two good matches before year end. It's tough to accept when your time in the big leagues has gone on.

Best to secure one more big paycheck and retire to a quiet life with the family.

Edited by DJBOB

Â