Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If we do keep Coutinho I think Buendia will be sold. 

Don't think it will happen personally. I think Gerrard will persist with playing 2 number 10's and will use the pre-season to try and refine it with Buendia firmly in his plans for that. 

• Like 4

if he doesn't end up staying i just hope he doesn't end up at another PL club

i'd hate to have helped him rediscover his best form only to then piss off to arsenal or spurs

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Don't think it will happen personally. I think Gerrard will persist with playing 2 number 10's and will use the pre-season to try and refine it with Buendia firmly in his plans for that. 

Yep this is clearly Gerrard's favoured system, just needs to sort the midfield area out in order to facilitate it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep this is clearly Gerrard's favoured system, just needs to sort the midfield area out in order to facilitate it.

Persistence and determination is admirable, however, there is the danger that his 2x10's system is just not robust enough and/or creative enough for the PL. I can't recall any other team playing this way. Not to say it couldn't work......but even with a stronger midfield the signs are not encouraging at present, IMO.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Club record signing at £38m to be sold 12 months later after a reasonable first campaign?

That would be like City flogging Grealish. Not going to happen. 

30 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Club record signing at £38m to be sold 12 months later after a reasonable first campaign?

That would be like City flogging Grealish. Not going to happen. 

I hope it doesnt happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yeah, because we can only have 11 players in our 25 man squad...

I can actually see Bailey leaving this summer.  Struggled with injuries, shape and formation has changed with Gerrard's arrival, and still could attract a high transfer fee and a lot of interest if we wanted to move him on.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I can actually see Bailey leaving this summer.  Struggled with injuries, shape and formation has changed with Gerrard's arrival, and still could attract a high transfer fee and a lot of interest if we wanted to move him on.  

I wouldn’t sell him at all.  

Basically been injured all season, seen as a coup when we got him and the only forward with genuine pace.  Adding to this his skill and a knack of scoring, it would seem unwise to sell when he hasn’t had a real chance.  

He’s now settled, seems fit so with a full preseason could be a difference maker next season.  

He could be a complete flop but he’s still the same player we brought but has been injured since and would be the type of player we’d be looking to buy this summer if we didn’t already have him re age, pace, skill, level of player, scoring and personality.

• Like 2

I would imagine the complication will come from the pay drop in Coutinho's wage.

His contract with Barcelona currently expires in June 2023, he's most likely told them that he'll be willing to take a pay cut to move to another club; but want's the difference, or part of the difference made up by Barcelona until his contract there expires.

This would be the negotiation that Villa and Barcelona are currently conducting.

I am fairly sure that it will be done though.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I would imagine the complication will come from the pay drop in Coutinho's wage.

His contract with Barcelona currently expires in June 2023, he's most likely told them that he'll be willing to take a pay cut to move to another club; but want's the difference, or part of the difference made up by Barcelona until his contract there expires.

This would be the negotiation that Villa and Barcelona are currently conducting.

I am fairly sure that it will be done though.

This.  Barca will have to subsidize some of his wages through the end of his contract in order to get him to sign with us within our salary structure.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I think Coutinho will end up staying. Call me naive but I genuinely don’t think it’ll be a financial situation. He’s a world class player but fragile mentally, we have got him back to a level he’s not seen for 4/5 years.

From the clubs view he needs to stay fit and continue playing at the level he is for the rest of the season. For Phil it is about enjoying his football, making sure he and his family like the club and area and villa showing some ambition in the transfer market to get into Europe. If all those things align then he stays IMO. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Agree.  i dont think the tactics are the problem at all. 2 up front seemed hopeless, until it worked, 2 10's worked great until it didnt.

I believe we will come back after summer far stronger with refined tactics but not radically different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Of course not and I dont want us to sell him but are we big enough as yet to have players as good as him on the bench. The two no.10s hasnt worked as yet they both want to play in each others spaces. Buendia definately looked better before Coutinho came. 

Off to Arsenal according to HITC, he is apparently on 480k a week at Barcelona. They have the edge as they can possibly offer CL football and we are unlikely to be even challenging for the Europa league in the next two to three season 

40 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Off to Arsenal according to HITC, he is apparently on 480k a week at Barcelona. They have the edge as they can possibly offer CL football and we are unlikely to be even challenging for the Europa league in the next two to three season 

That’s based on the same Telegraph article that did the rounds a couple of weeks ago.

The real Coutinho issue isn’t champions league but how keen he is to keep playing at a high level when the world cup is over.

On 28/03/2022 at 11:28, PaulC said:

nah. if we get Phil to sign then there will be less need to pander to him and play him whenever he is not having a great game or not quite up to match fitness. I feel Buendia has been desperately unlucky with his reduced playing time but the thinking is probably to give Phil what he wants until we get him locked down

Â