Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Signing him on loan was impressive, but not absolutely massive; he was out of favour and looking for some game time. Signing him permanently after the performances he's put in is probably the biggest statement of intent I can remember from us

• Like 4

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Heard Gregg Evans say on the 1874 Pod cast with Bardell, that fee and wages have already been set apparently. Rest is up to us.

That's what I thought. So, if true, the ball is in our court, which is fantastic. He is an incredible player. I wonder if Gerrard will persuade any more elite players to join the revolution.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, av1 said:

It’s still not sunk in. 

After his debut at VP when we were walking back to the car my boy just said ‘dad, I can’t believe I’ve just saw Phillippe Countinho play football, and I can’t believe it was for us’

Even last night I said similar to the boy, it’s ridiculous really. Watching him is absolute joy. 

Same here. My lads 8. Loves playing FIFA on his Xbox. Collects his footie trading cards, knows who the genuine superstars are. When he heard we'd signed him his jaw literally dropped. Not often you get to see such quality right in front of you

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sometimes you've just got to sign that sort of player though to push you forward in short term.

Over last decade we've signed young prospects like James Bree and Tishbola who've amounted to little here and also mid range signings like AEG and Trez who we'll probably struggle to get back for what we paid. And the obvious flops like Ross McCormack.

So there's no guarentee with any age profile signing really even if clubs generally have shifted to under 25s with significant re-sale value.

I get that but Coutinho in our current position is simply world class value to us so he must be signed at all costs if we're really serious about breaking into top 6 in near future.

He is clearly a much superior player to anyone else in the rest of our team. His salary should be commensurate with his importance to the team.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That's what I thought. So, if true, the ball is in our court, which is fantastic. He is an incredible player. I wonder if Gerrard will persuade any more elite players to join the revolution.

I hear Salah and his team have rejected Pools contract offer.

👀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think we’ll offer something like 200k on a 3 year deal which is about £10m a season. £33m transfer fee, £30m in wages. If someone said youd be able to get prime Coutinho at Villa Park for an outlay of around £65m; youd bite their hand off. His demeanour is so positive and he’ll be worth every penny. It will be down to the player himself, which is a positive- he’s so humble and experienced he’ll do whats right for him and his family. Aston Villa is right for him and his family. 

20 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Suarez would be big aswell if used correctly e.g. not like Man. United have done with Ronaldo part 2.

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

I don't speak to my cousin much since he moved down south, but last night he called me just to sing that Coutinho song down the phone. Magic indeed.

22 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Same here. My lads 8. Loves playing FIFA on his Xbox. Collects his footie trading cards, knows who the genuine superstars are. When he heard we'd signed him his jaw literally dropped. Not often you get to see such quality right in front of you

And that’s the thing gents. I’m not a commercial financial guy so I’m probably talking crap, but can you put a price on that sort of stuff? But how many young kids are going to become life long Villa fans on the grounds that Phillippe Countinho blew their heads and got them hooked? 

He’s the 3rd/4th most expensive signing ever (I can’t be bothered to look it up) this sort of singing sends waves through football, and again with the caveat that I’m not a financial guy, I’d suggest that the signing pays for itself in the long term. 

As I said in OP, I’m still pinching myself that this kid plays for Aston Villa

Edited by av1

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Suarez would be big aswell if used correctly e.g. not like Man. United have done with Ronaldo part 2.

He's also a knob'ead so I don't want him anywhere near this club. The racism, the biting, great player he may have been. He isn't any longer and is of questionable character, like Ronaldo I wouldn't have either of them here. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

He's also a knob'ead so I don't want him anywhere near this club. The racism, the biting, great player he may have been. He isn't any longer and is of questionable character, like Ronaldo I wouldn't have either of them here. 

you wouldn't want Suarez or Ronaldo at Villa ?

what are you smoking pal. Two of the best players ever ?!? 

6 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I reckon Pele is probably available too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dale said:

Suarez is meant to be a very decent person off the pitch - Gerrard has mentioned this before. He is an absolute animal on the pitch though and is a win at all costs type of player. 

Whether he is past it or not now is another question.

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

His agent works for him. Any player that sits back and lets their agent make noises is doing so because it suits their purposes.

That's a bit naive. Agents work for themselves, an most do what's best for them, not always the player. 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

That's a bit naive. Agents work for themselves, an most do what's best for them, not always the player. 

Obviously they can do whatever they want. It doesn't mean they can force others to and they have no protection against getting fired.

Would you continue to give someone x% of your salary, plus the potential to earn millions if you move, if they didn't act in your best interests? It wouldn't be hard to find someone else to do the same job.

40 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

It’s not 2013 anymore 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Annoyman said:

I find watching him almost zen-like, just gliding effortlessly round the pitch and then smiling serenely and hugging his teammates when he scores

I’m flattered.

• Haha 2

Â