Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Could someone please explain the furore around the "option to buy"? 

I get that it means we have a pre-arranged price in place if we want to buy the player. However, what if another team decide they want him too and offer more money? Surely either Barca can accept the higher bid also, or Coutinho can simply say no to us and then force Barca into accepting the other offer? 

Ergo, I don't get it. 

my understanding is that it's like the buy back clause. if the option to buy say is £15m. we can buy him for 15m at the end of the season and no one can say no...barca can't say no, coutinho can't say no, and even if newcastle offer 100m then he still moves to us for 15m

edit: there are things though that can invalidate the clause depending on what's agreed i.e. if he plays less than a certain number of games

Edited by tomav84

Just now, Zatman said:

The option means we have a guaranteed price to buy him. Other teams can bid and offer more wages but our bid will be accepted anyway 

Yeah, so as I thought. If he has an absolutely amazing six months with us and value rockets, we can still buy him for pre-agreed price but other clubs would need to offer what his performances reflect. Cheers!

Just now, tomav84 said:

my understanding is that it's like the buy back clause. if the option to buy say is £15m. we can buy him for 15m at the end of the season and no one can say no...barca can't say no, coutinho can't say no, and even if newcastle offer 100m then he still moves to us for 15m

Surely Coutinho could say no, no?! Unless he's agreed a contract with Villa for six months and a contract for after that also during these negotiations?

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I get that it means we have a pre-arranged price in place if we want to buy the player. However, what if another team decide they want him too and offer more money? Surely either Barca can accept the higher bid also, or Coutinho can simply say no to us and then force Barca into accepting the other offer? 

Ergo, I don't get it. 

From my understanding if another team comes in for him, we still get first refusal for the price we set at the start. Regardless if the other team offers more, if we action our option then there's nothing the other team can do.

A huge huge signing. 

Just to temper some of the excitement. 

Been watching a few of his outings for Barcelona in this season. He looks pretty shit to be fair. 😂Ability is definitely still there but looks short on confidence and sharpness. So going to need a bit of love from Gerrard and a good run in the team before we see the best of him. Hope the fans stick with him because I think it'll take him a little while to see the best of him.

Expectations are going to be so high. Probably the highest profile player we have ever signed.

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Surely Coutinho could say no, no?! Unless he's agreed a contract with Villa for six months and a contract for after that also during these negotiations?

my understanding is that is what happens. same with buy back clauses, the contract details are all done for the hypothetical scenario of the clause being triggered. the player can't just say no.

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

edit: there are things though that can invalidate the clause depending on what's agreed i.e. if he plays less than a certain number of games

So does that mean we have somehow managed to come to an agreement on what Coutinho's future salary with us will be if we choose to sign him?

Really interested to find out what this would be. Felt like the biggest hurdle for me that.

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Ergo, I don't get it. 

It all depends on the condition of the option to buy. They may have inserted a clause that states "If Villa offer X amount then all other offers must be rejected". Unfortunately we'll never really know what the fineprint is of the clause. But you would assume if we do decide to try and buy him then that means he's interested in joining us. 

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Percy over here trying to rain on everyone’s parade. Lol

Yes John, major progress certainly is being made.

Edited by sidcow

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Best form of defence is attack, they can’t score if we are attacking for 90 minutes.

just kidding TRO, I’m with you.

It is actually true......but who can attack for 90 mins?

but this signing must help us, in signing others.

big praise to the owners and SG

• Like 1

Â