Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

I'm still nervous that something will come up and he'll actually sign for someone else - shortly followed by official tweets from the club saying that we'd never made a serious approach for him.  I can't help myself.  If something seems too good to be true then it probably isn't happening.  Please get the official confirmation out soon!

I imagine the front 6 could look like this when everyone is fit:

..................New DM..................

.........McGinn........Luiz.............

Bailey........................Coutinho

..................Watkins.................

Then Ings, Buendia, Ramsey, Carney and Bert to rotate based on form/fitness. I imagine we'll be looking to offload AEG and Trez in the summer. 

If that isn't enough to massively trouble the majority of teams in this league then I don't know what will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

- Push for Europe
- Get him settled and enjoying his football
- If he reaches his potential this season we sign him permanently and push for Europe next season.
- If he doesn't we don't sign him. 

I can see it ending up like James.

He'll play alright for 5-6 months then a big club will pick him up.

He is most likely looking at us as a stop gap and that's ok.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

- Push for Europe
- Get him settled and enjoying his football
- If he reaches his potential this season we sign him permanently and push for Europe next season.
- If he doesn't we don't sign him. 

Depends on the fine print of the option to buy.  If he does well there might not be anything to stop other clubs wishing to take him come May.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whats the deliverable from this signing ? - I still can't see Europe  - We weren't getting relegated anyway ? 

Is it just because we can ?  - Or is the hope that playing \ training with PC will give some of our players a performance boost ? 

Does it even matter? At the heart of all this, footballs entertainment and its just exciting to see a player of Coutinho's quality playing for us, irrespective of deliverables etc. 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How can the club afford this?

I realize we've got wealthy owners but how do we get past FFP? We've got nowhere near the money income like the elite clubs do

£250k a week is £1m a month for six months.  £6 million buys you half an AEG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whats the deliverable from this signing ? - I still can't see Europe  - We weren't getting relegated anyway ? 

Is it just because we can ?  - Or is the hope that playing \ training with PC will give some of our players a performance boost ? 

not sure if ur joking mate, but its a signing that takes us from "oh its Villa", to "oh my lawd they signed Coutinho", and other players thinking "oh they are a serious club, i might actually consider them if i get to play with players like Coutinho".

Its a statement signing, it raises our profile to the wider world, it raises our profile to potential future signings, its a brilliant signing imo.

Hopefully it works out, he is clearly a very talented footballer, but regardless of this is a signing that puts us on the map, and its worth it for that alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

That's what I think too and why I like 18 month loan until the end of his contract but don't like 6 months 

6 months with the reaction from the majority of here does look like it will have a huge feel good factor and some peacocking but I still not sold it will do much in terms of performance 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allani said:

I'm still nervous that something will come up and he'll actually sign for someone else - shortly followed by official tweets from the club saying that we'd never made a serious approach for him.  I can't help myself.  If something seems too good to be true then it probably isn't happening.  Please get the official confirmation out soon!

Its done. The betting market has him at 1/33 to sign for us now, they'll suspend it shortly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I think too and why I like 18 month loan until the end of his contract but don't like 6 months 

6 months with the reaction from the majority of here does look like it will have a huge feel good factor and some peacocking but I still not sold it will do much in terms of performance 

Looking forward to watching him play for half a season still. 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Depends on the fine print of the option to buy.  If he does well there might not be anything to stop other clubs wishing to take him come May.

That's what I expect will happen. If he does well he'll have bigger clubs and better options come the summer. Hence why I kinda rather had the 18 month loan (depending on salary %) than just a 6 month loan.

Maybe he'll love the club, Gerrard, the canals, yada yada but wouldn't count on it.

2 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

Does it even matter? At the heart of all this, footballs entertainment and its just exciting to see a player of Coutinho's quality playing for us, irrespective of deliverables etc. 

Thats very true of course. But there must some cost/benefit analysis - if we are to be a well run club. Even if the benefits are direct in terms of league placing/Europe qualification of course.

Â