Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Barca will want as high % as possible of his salary paid. Coutinho and his agent want's a club as high up the football hierarchy as possible I'd imagine.

Don't think there is a whole lot of realistic competition for Coutinho's signature considering his astronomical salary and clubs needing this exact type of player.

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It doesn't work like that. Betting odds are not linked to the chance of a player signing. They purely reflect the amount of betting activity on a particular outcome. I could put £1m on Messi joining Villa (if I had it) and he would be odds on favourite on Paddy Power. Means nothing. 

Not quite true. Betting activity is the main thing shifting odds in one direction or another, but bookies do set initial odds (otherwise everyone would just jump in at evens every time a new market opens), and they adjust the odds when other factors have changed. It's a myth that it's entirely a free market based on betting activity.

I know they've not all settled in yet, but knowing what they're capable of, just imagine Bailey, Coutinho and Buendia behind the striker :lol:  That's up there with anything outside the top 5. Add a dominating DCM to that (easier said than done, I know) and we can be very excited.

• Like 2

Just now, StewieGriffin said:

Could this be our Robinho moment?

No, because we can’t back it up with the players that City did after Robinho signed. 

Get what you mean though, feels as though we’re headed in a slightly different direction as a club now with Ings, Coutinho and possibly Digne signing. The club wants names who have done it at a good level and have experience to blend with the youth. 

6 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Could this be our Robinho moment?

you mean he gets off the plane thinking he is signing for one club, then after signing realises it was a completely different club?

You couldnt write that stuff.

My view is that these days any big signings for Villa are fairly quick. You get some drawn out transfers but they are generally lower league/ less in demand players.

Larger names all feels a bit press and agent manipulated when it drags on and Villa aren't (currently?) of the size we normally benefit from that.

I get the feeling this will join those ranks and he'll be pulling on a different shirt by the end of the transfer window.

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not quite true. Betting activity is the main thing shifting odds in one direction or another, but bookies do set initial odds (otherwise everyone would just jump in at evens every time a new market opens), and they adjust the odds when other factors have changed. It's a myth that it's entirely a free market based on betting activity.

Betting on an event like this is a different market to the betting market for a match result.

There are plenty of people close to the transfer who would have inside knowledge of where he is going so bookmakers set limits on how much can be bet, set crappy odds and adjust those odds significantly anytime any money comes in.

This gives them a bit of protection against someone betting who knows more than they do.

• Thanks 1

The obvious danger with this one is Barcelona's desperation for money and Newcastle's desperation to improve their team at all costs. Hopefully we're all but done and dusted at this stage.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Sky sports now saying Spurs and Liverpool are NOT interested - having said this morning they WERE interested. I'm on the edge of my seat for further developments.

The thing is, those clubs could have done this deal in the summer if they had genuine interest. The only thing that has brought this on is that Gerrard is now at Villa and has a connection to the player. The other factor is Newcastle who also have different circumstances to what they had in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

The obvious danger with this one is Barcelona's desperation for money and Newcastle's desperation to improve their team at all costs. Hopefully we're all but done and dusted at this stage.

Perhaps, but I think the only reason we're in the conversation is the Gerrard link - I can't see him wanting to go lower than us, especially to a club battling relegation that he doesn't have any links with.

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Perhaps, but I think the only reason we're in the conversation is the Gerrard link - I can't see him wanting to go lower than us, especially to a club battling relegation that he doesn't have any links with.

Money talks

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

True, but you have to factor in the fact that absolutely no footballer wants to live in Newcastle unless they have family there. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

True, but you have to factor in the fact that absolutely no footballer wants to live in Newcastle unless they have family there. 

And that they’re likely going down… I doubt he’ll join a team that’s won one game all season and has Eddie Who has a manager.

Â