Michael Beale

maqroll

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Xabi Alonso sounds like a decent option from those I've seen suggested, in terms of probable fit, ease of settling in, and ability to communicate with our Spanish speaking contingent in their first language. He learnt German in 2 months too so could probably pick up Portuguese too?

Seems to have got decent results as head coach for a B team, and presumably will have been through the same course of badges and qualifications that Gerrard did and hence will have the latest methods and teachings to refer to. 

Just lacks in the experience side I think, and I'd ideally like someone who SG can turn to for a different and more experienced view when he needs inspiration. 

All the Brazilian players played in Spain anyway but no chance will happen 

Of the high profile ex players that became managers with no experience Alonso is actually one I would have risked as senior manager 

On 29/05/2022 at 20:21, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

That may well be the Birmingham Mail's first scoop in 6 years.

Beale is very likely paid very handsomely as a number two, probably more handsomely that Blackburn or QPR would be able to pay their manager positions. I guess it is whether Beale fancies himself as a manager or not. And those two clubs aren't exactly going to be pulling up trees next season.

What a scoop it was aswell 😆 

Pat Rowe you 4 eyed Fraud

Just now, duke313 said:

Would be a good option.  But I'd say he has aspirations to stay in management, so can't see him coming to be number 2.

Good point... thinking about it, it Also raises the concern that we'd face a third year in a row where our number 2 leaves to manage someone else by the end of next season. 

14 minutes ago, weedman said:

I mean, he's improved the defense while also making us more dangerous in attack, sounds like good coaching no? How much of that is on Beale and how much is on Gerrard and the other coaches is unknown though

15 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

BUTWEFINISHED14THDERRRPPPP!!!

We did and we did in a very much underwhelming way. We failed to win so many games that we should of won. the games we did win were still pretty dismal.

He may improved Villa’s metrics, but the over all picture is that it didn’t transform an awful lot. We were poor, we were obvious and we didn’t achieve much more than what Smith and shakey did.

maybe it’s not having his own preseason, maybe it’s stevie G, maybe it’s the players. But I’d expect a “tactical genius” to overcome these hurdles. 

it’s a shame he won’t be proving the doubters wrong this coming season. But he’s got a big boy job now and I wish him all the best. I’m sure we will find someone else. Hopefully someone who can make a real difference. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886m9p811ch8tm9rzijov

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

All the Brazilian players played in Spain anyway but no chance will happen 

Of the high profile ex players that became managers with no experience Alonso is actually one I would have risked as senior manager 

I think he is going to be a good manager in the coming years.

• Thanks 1

I wanted Alonso as Manager over Gerrard, think he’ll be a great manger. Cannot see why he’d come to be Gerrard’s assistant and if he did we’ll be having to replace him sooner than later. Ian Cathro is a good shout or a foreign coach as we still have GMac for continuity. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

really hope we dont bring in just another ex-footballer, no matter how good a player he was. we dont have the luxury of training someone into the role. i hope we go out and get someone with experience and a track record as a coach/ assistant manager

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I have mentioned a number of times on the post match threads the lack of cohesion in our team and that it surely was a coaching issue.

Beale moving on might be just what we need. I always felt that Beale had almost too big a role and was leading Gerrard by the nose.

Whichever way you look at it, 14th is extremely unimpressive. 

I look forward to better performances with some top players under a new coaching set up.

This just doesn't make sense. How are we lacking cohesion when we are conceding fewer chances than at any point since promotion, while also consistently creating more chances than we are conceding (the only other time this happened since promotion was the start of 20/21 with Grealish and an almost unchanged XI for the opening 10 games of the season) ?

14th really doesn't mean a lot. The season was done after the bad start and the rest of this season has been about imbedding a system and working out who from the current squad fits and who doesn't. A massive tactical switch at this point is exactly what we do not need.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think he is going to be a good manager in the coming years.

Probably one of the most intelligent players to play that game pkus has played under Pep, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Del Bosque, Rafa etc so should have picked up many different styles if took them on board

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Probably one of the most intelligent players to play that game pkus has played under Pep, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Del Bosque, Rafa etc so should have picked up many different styles if took them on board

Most great players don't go on to be good managers, but as you say he was such an intelligent player.  

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think they forced MacPhee and Danks on Smith

McPhee did well, we were much more dangerous from set pieces and tried some new things. Difficult to tell with Danks but MacPhee seemed to have a really positive input.

Though his comments on style of play for Scotland - I'd prefer we keep him in his limited Set Piece role rather than push him into a larger role within the squad

1 minute ago, tomsky_11 said:

This just doesn't make sense. How are we lacking cohesion when we are conceding fewer chances than at any point since promotion, while also consistently creating more chances than we are conceding (the only other time this happened since promotion was the start of 20/21 with Grealish and an almost unchanged XI for the opening 10 games of the season) ?

14th really doesn't mean a lot. The season was done after the bad start and the rest of this season has been about imbedding a system and working out who from the current squad fits and who doesn't. A massive tactical switch at this point is exactly what we do not need.

You are correct in much of what you say, but watching the games I saw a definite lack of cohesion and teamwork compared to other teams, and nothing you have said will convince me otherwise.

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wanted Alonso as Manager over Gerrard, think he’ll be a great manger. Cannot see why he’d come to be Gerrard’s assistant and if he did we’ll be having to replace him sooner than later. Ian Cathro is a good shout or a foreign coach as we still have GMac for continuity. 

exposure, sticking his CV out in to english football for everyone to see, might mean he's not here for long, not sure if you can say that worked for Beale or it he would have gone to the championship anyway eventually

alonso does 1 or 2 seasons here and gets a gig somewhere else

Way too much emphasis on Assistants and their impact over the years...  Many have come with big reputations and failed in spectacular fashion for us (McAllister 1st time, Keane, Clarke, Calderwood/Clemence, Shakespeare, etc.) and for all of Beale's reputation as a genius tactician, I didn't see anything last season which lead me to believe that was true in the slightest.  We'll bring someone else in and not much will change, IMO.  Will still play the same brand of dull and boring footy for as long as the Gerrard regime sticks around.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'd rather be a highly thought of Ass Man at Villa than manage QPR.

Yeah i get he wants management but QPR are pants.  They have no hope of getting promoted. Would ahve been better off waiting for rangers job

Â