Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm quite surprised by that tbh.

He had to go. I wanted him gone months ago. But I would have thought if you're going to sack someone, it'd be common courtesy to let them know back at base rather than before a ride home with the team. That's a dick move, honestly.

It suggests personal animus and we'll likely never know the details.

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We've just wasted a year so I take no satisfaction from Gerrards sacking as it just confirms that.

As for Gerrard he was just style over substance wasn't he. He talked a good game but couldn't transmit that onto the pitch where it mattered. 

This, especially when he said "it's on me to fix".....got sick of hearing it so many times but seeing no change....well, it was enough to make me want to throw my bollocks at the clock 😡

Edited by mottaloo

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We've just wasted a year so I take no satisfaction from Gerrards sacking as it just confirms that.

As for Gerrard he was just style over substance wasn't he. He talked a good game but couldn't transmit that onto the pitch where it mattered. 

I've followed us for over 40 years and based on results, performances, engagement/connection with supporters (which matters), and what he inherited and how he was backed, he'd be in my bottom 3 of managers who have managed us over my time.

I've followed this great club for a similar amount of time. Who are the other 2 managers?

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

I've followed this great club for a similar amount of time. Who are the other 2 managers?

McNeill 100% and then I'd say Garde although he only had twenty games. So far out of his depth though it was unreal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Danks to take the game against Brentford. Would much rather Critchley take the reins, danks and Mcphee need to get out this club soon as.

Don't think it makes much difference at this stage. Sooner we get the new guy in the better

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Danks to take the game against Brentford. Would much rather Critchley take the reins, danks and Mcphee need to get out this club soon as.

Critchley has gone as well hasn't he?

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

McNeill 100% and then I'd say Garde although he only had twenty games. So far out of his depth though it was unreal.

I agree with McNeill, they were dark times in back in 1987. I tend to cut Garde a bit of slack, the damage was well and truely done by the point he arrived. Sherwood had blown all of the Benteke and Deplph money, we had some foreign players who went ont to have good careers at the top levels across europe but he had no idea how to get them all playing well together. Sherwoods biggest mistakes were thinking Gestede could replace Benteke's goals and that the chuckle brothers together in central defence was a good idea. Neither Lescott or Richards were good defenders imo.Therefore I would place Sherwood ahead of Garde.

Graham Turner who was manager before McNeill was another who was out of his depth and promoted too quickly up the leagues, that one is on Doug and his quest to replace the aging European Cup winners with the original young and hungry model. But Turner would be up there with McNeill and Sherwood in my opinion. Gerrard I would class as on a similar level of ineptitude as Turner. So McNeill no.1, Sherwood no.2 and Gerrard and Turner battling it out for that third spot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I agree with McNeill, they were dark times in back in 1987. I tend to cut Garde a bit of slack, the damage was well and truely done by the point he arrived. Sherwood had blown all of the Benteke and Deplph money, we had some foreign players who went ont to have good careers at the top levels across europe but he had no idea how to get them all playing well together. Sherwoods biggest mistakes were thinking Gestede could replace Benteke's goals and that the chuckle brothers together in central defence was a good idea. Neither Lescott or Richards were good defenders imo.Therefore I would place Sherwood ahead of Garde.

Graham Turner who was manager before McNeill was another who was out of his depth and promoted too quickly up the leagues, that one is on Doug and his quest to replace the aging European Cup winners with the original young and hungry model. But Turner would be up there with McNeill and Sherwood in my opinion. Gerrard I would class as on a similar level of ineptitude as Turner. So McNeill no.1, Sherwood no.2 and Gerrard and Turner battling it out for that third spot.

I think you are probably right with regard Garde. I wouldn't have Sherwood in bottom 3 though. When he came in for last third of 2014/15 season he kept us up, got us to FA cup final, including that great semi win against Liverpool, and we played some good stuff. Had he gone at end of 2014/15 then he would be really fondly remembered. A combination of things then led to the shit show that followed but the reality is that really good finish to the 2014/15 season under him was the stand out in what was otherwise 6 seasons of decline from 2010 to 2016.

I think sadly what this does show is that you could make an argument for a number of managers being in the bottom 3 over the last 40 years. McNeill would be in everyone's list though.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2022 at 21:20, DCJonah said:

You can't be serious. 

He's had loads of support. He's also had a lot of support from the owners. 

You've created an alternate universe in your mind for the struggles Gerrard is having to endure. 

so you think, the shutting up shop, after the Kamara signing was support?.....I don't.

We needed more strengthening, and most fans thought that too....despite losing our 2 marquee signings, which were predominately of a defensive nature/persuasion.....The front 6 have been our biggest let down, in a 4-3-3.

There was a school of thought , that Watkins and Ings, drought was temporary, granted and that, they would start scoring.....wasn't to be, that gamble, misfired.

I think the summer, business, has made an impact on where we are......Thats not giving Gerrard a pass, just think it played a significant part.

This team, without Carlos and Kamara, resembles a team we have had troubles with, in the past....I can't ignore that.

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think you are probably right with regard Garde. I wouldn't have Sherwood in bottom 3 though. When he came in for last third of 2014/15 season he kept us up, got us to FA cup final, including that great semi win against Liverpool, and we played some good stuff. Had he gone at end of 2014/15 then he would be really fondly remembered. A combination of things then led to the shit show that followed but the reality is that really good finish to the 2014/15 season under him was the stand out in what was otherwise 6 seasons of decline from 2010 to 2016.

I think sadly what this does show is that you could make an argument for a number of managers being in the bottom 3 over the last 40 years. McNeill would be in everyone's list though.

Yeah you are probably right about Sherwood. If he had gone after the FA Cup final I wouldn't have the same opinion, he wasn't the right man to entrust a big squad rebuild to. He is the definition of short term stopgap manager, bought in to raise morale and get a boost, any longer and his weaknesses become apparent.

Regarding the last sentence, sadly we have quite a few we could argue the case for over the years, especially during the last 10 or so years. The good ones are far less common.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

so you think, the shutting up shop, after the Kamara signing was support?.....I don't.

We needed more strengthening, and most fans thought that too....despite losing our 2 marquee signings, which were predominately of a defensive nature/persuasion.....The front 6 have been our biggest let down, in a 4-3-3.

There was a school of thought , that Watkins and Ings, drought was temporary, granted and that, they would start scoring.....wasn't to be, that gamble, misfired.

I think the summer, business, has made an impact on where we are......Thats not giving Gerrard a pass, just think it played a significant part.

This team, without Carlos and Kamara, resembles a team we have had troubles with, in the past....I can't ignore that.

Actually I agree with parts of that, i'd hoped we'd do more in the summer and said so. 

But he'd been backed in January and I think his poor results and management might have made the owners question whether it was wise to give him more. That opening game against bournmouth showed us how it would end up. 

Ultimately with what he inherited and what he was given, he had more than enough to be better than what he delivered. 

Thankfully his damage has been done and we can now move on. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

100% this.

The club are as culpable as Gerrard and the players for the mess we are in. Everyone owns this. 

Like the country it’s just a 💩 sundae at the moment and the only reason we are still eating is that we have no choice. Can’t move elsewhere, can’t change your club. 

Id have rather been anywhere than watching that game last night. The sad thing is I rearranged my week to make sure I was free. 

Football is, was and always has been a special kind of madness. 

• Thanks 1

Â