Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I said it at the time and everything since just confirms it. 

We were desperate to get him before any other club did and Smiths bad spell gave him the perfect opportunity. 

I must admit, I wasn’t totally against it at the time. I’m of the belief that every manager has to start somewhere. Perhaps I was lured in by the press conferences. He said all of the right things in front of the camera. 

But you’re right, it’s been a disaster and I was wrong and he needs to go!

I've seen a few people on Twitter and here say that today isn't on Gerrard, but I'm afraid it is. If he's coaching them correctly, we'd be scoring at least one of those chances today. Regardless, this is a results business and not only have the performances been dire for a while, the results also have. 9 points from 10 isn't acceptable for a team that was aiming for at least a top half finish this season - that's relegation form following one of the easier runs of games you'll see in this league. If results haven't improved over a period of 10 games, they won't improve over the rest of the season.

Despite all of that, I don't see him leaving in the next few days. I think it's a combination of a couple of things, the main one being Purslow, who I think will be reacting emotionally rather than rationally to this. A mate (/hero?) of his, who he personally gambled on after seeing him win the league with Rangers, despite Beale being the real mastermind. Purslow will still feel like this has to work and he'll still have credit in the bank after the last few years, but he can only hold the owners off for so long. The other reason is that I can imagine a lot of top managers waiting until the World Cup break to make a decision on their future, as it'll afford them time that you wouldn't normally get mid-season to prepare accordingly.

I really hope I'm wrong and that he's sacked in the first 24 hours, but I don't think he'll be shown the door just yet.

Ultimately the buck stops at Gerrard but I have to say, you don’t see any of his coaching team in his ear or appear to be helping him during a game.  Does Danks even exist? I do think his supporting staff are badly letting him down and just as culpable.

The continuous improvement line only looks ridiculous if we don’t act now. Purslow needs to stand by the boards principles and fire the bullet this week. Plain and simple.

Any further delay is damaging the club badly. 

• Like 1

I dont see much point in giving him the Fulham game because say we get a result, then have a shocker against Brentford, then what?

He's either the right man to take us forward or he's not. Most would say he isnt so if that's case then sack him now. He's had a year and we're no better. I really wanted this to work but everyone has lost faith it seems.

That said, some of the players have been a disgrace this season and need to have a look at themselves. I cant think of anyone who comes out of this season so far with much credit. A new man coming in has got a lot to do to get some of these guys to produce some form.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Has any Villa manager managed us to fewer goals? Feels like we never score and when we do it is out of nothing rather than build up. 

Possibly no manager has had the quality and number of attacking players at his disposal and scored so few goals.

Â