Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well if the comments from Purslow are true, Gerrard is going nowhere.

I’ve seen two semi-reputable people suggest the meeting last night was largely about non-football matters although football was mentioned. Neither have said anything specific about Gerrard being on the brink/safe and I wouldn’t expect Purslow to have such a conversation at a fan meeting, unless I’ve missed something. 

All I’ve seen suggesting otherwise is some bloke named Josh suggesting Purslow turned up last night in a Gerrard home shirt and a ‘Vote Stevie’ baseball cap. It’s not clear what fan group Josh was representing. 

One doesn't need to bother with newspaper speculation, if bad form continues he will lose his job same as any manager at any club, might not be at the exact moment that many want but it's only a matter of time now unless there's some sort of miraculous turn around in results. Besides there has been plenty of talk of him being under pressure and from some of the more reliable journalist as well, Express and Star man Matt Maher, John Percy, and Tom Collomosse.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Got a link to the Percy one?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/10/10/forest-vs-aston-villa-live-score-premier-league-latest-updates/

Steven Gerrard is still waiting for Aston Villa’s season to spark into life and the big question is how much longer the club’s hierarchy is prepared to be patient.

Gerrard’s future remains under scrutiny from frustrated supporters despite a fourth Premier League match unbeaten, with the Villa manager spared a more severe inquest after a goal from Ashley Young, a player aged 37 years and 93 days…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

We aren’t likely to be battered every week are we? Only the poorest of teams get battered every week, we are just poor for the level we are at plus we are 16th in the league and just had 3 comparative easy fixtures against a poor Southampton team, a 10 man Leeds team for 45 minutes and a poor Forest.  We are highly unlikely to get battered by any of them.  Unbeaten is being thrown around as if we’ve done something brilliant yet you look at those games and would be surprised if we weren’t however poor we were.  City game is the only shinning light in that run.  5 points from those three games on reflection looks poor as Leeds were there for the taking and we should’ve had more than enough to beat Forest.

and Smith got replaced by Gerrard.  That’s why it’s so baffling that Gerrard is still here in that thought of consistency.

Mate were just going round in circles with @Villa_Vids he is not understanding that even if its not the immediate future that we will turn into a 2011 Barcelona it will STILL need to be a new manager leading that charge so why is that being used as an excuse…we need change regardless its as clear as day everything is upside down and maybe he is trying hard but slippy G just isn’t the man… i was calling for him to be replaced since the west ham game when most were still blind to it all. Your wasting time trying to use all these examples HE NEEDS TO GO !!

Played just as bad as forest who were awful and couldn’t even hammer away at a ten man leeds and we limped through Southampton. I want us to support the boys but make it clear we want gerrard gone and close the door on his chapter.

lets go for a manager who has been through more clubs than jack nicklaus, only joking but no just has proper experience with pedigree and notable accomplishments. We deserve that at least for all the years of trauma.

Tuchel or Poch we should go all out for any of them two and give them a 5 year deal and project worth signing up for ✍🏽 

Edited by RicRic
  • Thanks 1

Villa are going backwards and Slippy and his delusional thoughts that somehow after trying the same dam things every game will somehow click is what will finish him.at villa.

Same tactics, same team selections and same pathetic results and constant high value players not getting enough game time Gerrard is on the verge if its not already done of killing Aston Villa.

Bailey, Beundia, Ings effectively the grealish money has depreciated massively we'd be lucky to get 50mil for them these 3 are players that Gerrard dosnt rate well Steve we have a message for you WE DONT WANT YOU HERE GET OUT.

Edited by villan501

5 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

All the clubs you list have a proper set up that has been built on multiple successful teams over the years, the head coach is a smaller cog in a much larger system. They have multiple players they can depend on, if we are being honest we have only had one player that we could depend on,  that was Jack Grealish. That is unacceptable. I am not trying to dampen excitement but we are nowhere near that level of consistency yet, even sacking Gerrard ASAP wouldn't bring us to that level immediately.  We are striving to be that sort of club, we need to be run more consistently from above, then the team and of course more consistent individual performers. But we can't be sacking managers and replacing them with different plans and ideas each time. That is unsustainable and reckless.

I also worry what culture you are projecting to the players if you sack managers over poor performances and results each season without giving them time to improve things. Gerrard overcoming this bad period to then kick us on will be game changing for the club's psychology  IMO (if he is capable of course). It is unlikely atm.

On your last paragraph, I am not denying what you are saying but maybe we have overhyped certain aspects based on a promotion bounce that has worn off as the seasons have gone on. We have only developed one player (Grealish) and have spent millions in the process on the first team. We have all the ingredients to be a successful club that is in Europe most seasons, but I  don't think we currently have the direction internally from those above Gerrard (i.e Lange & Purslow). It is why I worry about life after Gerrard.

And how does the hierarchy recapture that optimism of two season ago? I believe, to continue on this short term route, we would have to get a big name to take over (Poch?) and provide a decent level of funding to back that coach to achieve those short term aims. Is that realistic? Then what happens if that coach/manager can't get above a certain level? How long are they given? We don't have a clearly defined plan. Everton had been through a similar process, no guarantees when you start sacking coaches and give them limited time to implement ideas or learn, not withstanding bad luck with injuries/var decisions.

It seems odd that  you think it's unlikely that Gerrard is capable of "overcoming this bad period" (it's almost a year don't forget) yet you still think we should keep him. And you think  this is a rational position to take.  You worry about life after Gerrard but what about life under Gerrard ? How much worse can it get  than dire football and poor results?

As for developing only one player - We just sold Chukwuemeka for £20m, Ramsey's a first team regular, and Archer probably should be if the Manager had any balls or brains.   

The structure and plan was in place and working ok until Purslow decided to make hiring his best mate his priority instead.   Once he's gone, and perhaps Purslow too, we can get back to that plan.  

No-one is saying we should sack manager after manager for the sake of it - just that we should sack this one because he is failing.  How long the next guy gets will also be based on how he does.  That's the way it works at every club.

• Thanks 2

Â