Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

The point was Villa are very close to being in a much more respectable position in the league.

The football is dire though, and i’m sure we wouldn’t finish near 9th on this trajectory even if someone did lash in a 90th minute winner.

My point was that we don't look close to gaining any more points – never looked like scoring against 10-man Leeds or Forest. So the only chance of us being a game away from the table looking better, especially given the next game is against Chelsea, is by other teams losing points.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Probably £15-20m comp - but it’s worth it, we cannot gamble any further. 

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Can we start a GoFundMe page?

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Just a cheap player with no salary, so not that much in reality to football finance.

Sack him and let him take Coutinho with him, that should cover it 🤦‍♂️

Just beyond sick of this guy, arguably the worst manager we’ve ever had. Should’ve been getting so much more out of this squad but we’re heading into a relegation battle FFS. He sickens me.

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Even subscribing to the notion that apparently the players are the problem...

Gerrard has had 2 transfer windows and a pre-season to bring in better players, and coach the ones we have.

He bombed out very capable players who have proven themselves (Bertie, 7G 7A in a season, a dream for most of the current squad)

Even taking into account the above, is the poor squad we have worse than Bournemouth? Leeds? Palace? Fulham? Brighton?

Gerrard is an absolute failure of a coach. No player has improved under him, and proven players look atrocious. How did he pass his badges if his entire philosophy is putting 11 players on the pitch and hoping one of them score a goal? 

Yep. I was just saying to someone

Watkins, McGinn, Konsa and Cash look a complete shadow of their former selves. 

Buendia and Bailey came with impeccable credentials and now look terrible 

Digne was great at Everton and looks terrible. 

All this since Gerrard arrived. These players WE KNOW are better than they are showing.  That many players don't all lose form at the same time, and keep it lost. 

The manager is ruining them. 

Christ Coutinho looked amazing in his first few games but by the time the Summer came round Gerrard had ruined him and people were doubting we should buy him, now he's gone further down hill. 

I've no idea how people continually shift the blame from Gerrard to the players, it's insane. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

My point was that we don't look close to gaining any more points – never looked like scoring against 10-man Leeds or Forest. So the only chance of us being a game away from the table looking better, especially given the next game is against Chelsea, is by other teams losing points.

And then Chelsea are followed by Brentford and Fulham which for me are pferct new manager bounce games

We could twist and pick up 6-9 points from the next 3 games or stick and be looking at somewhere between 1-4

• Like 1

I think the players are good enough for a 10th place finish. 

The top six, Brighton and Newcastle. After that it’s a bit of a free for all. About half a dozen clubs could finish 9th as easily as they could finish 15th.

They are capable of better than what is currently on display. I do feel like we need a talisman figure, a Yorke, a Grealish. Maybe they thought between them Buendia, Bailey and Coutinho could be that, less reliant on one player. Hasn’t worked out that way though.

He has to go.

The results aren't good enough. 
The performances aren't good enough, and nor is the in-game management. Wanting that piece of 'magic' is like hoping we get a luck deflection - he isn't paid for that. 
I can't actually see what the plan is, so it's not like it hasn't quite clicked yet - there's nothing to 'click'.
The disconnect between club and fans, in 11 months, is scary. Price hikes don't help, but first and foremost, that's the team and manager.
The change of captain didn't help and was handled terribly - but it underlies a 'favourites' policy, which is becoming fairly obvious. 
He's had injuries, but it wasn't exactly looking OK before. I can't see anyone who has improved, but plenty who have gone backwards. 

I know he's a relatively inexperienced PL manager, but we aren't paying him apprentice wages. He's had 4 years of management and is still making very poor mistakes. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not quite the same, Villa were a single goal away from 9th

And so we bloody well should have been with our incredibly easy run of fixtures.  We should be looking at 6th with the run we've had.  But we've totally **** it up and now we're going to slide away and slide away quickly with the run coming up. 

We should have credit in the bank but we're now in debt instead and it will be called in over the next few weeks starting Sunday. 

• Like 1

Seeing Gerrard's demeanour now (moody media interviews, walking straight down the tunnel with no acknowledgement of fans) I'd be really, really scared if we got into a relegation scrap. I can just see it getting really nasty, and not good for anyone, with Gerrard getting ever more bitter. Probably culminating in an acrimonious parting of the ways when it would be too late to salvage anything for anyone - Gerrard's reputation, Premier League status, Purslow's smug assuredness. 

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

A lot of talk in his post match pc about `moments of magic'.

He really doesn't get it. Chuck the team out there and tell them to `play with freedom'.

You have to coach them, mate, something you can't do.

What does he think Young did? A belter from outside the box. Without that moment of magic we'd have lost, does he think they all need to do that every game to win? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

What does he think Young did? A belter from outside the box. Without that moment of magic we'd have lost, does he think they all need to do that every game to win? 

We cant even score a tap in at the minute.

It's embarrassing.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

A lot of talk in his post match pc about `moments of magic'.

He really doesn't get it. Chuck the team out there and tell them to `play with freedom'.

You have to coach them, mate, something you can't do.

100%.

We've signed Coutiho, and that seems to have been his tactics done for the year for every game. 
I would love a proper journo to sit down with him, and ask him how he intends to get him on the ball, get him in the right positions, and to create the chances - especially given the guy has probably only played 10 good games in 4 years. Gerrard seems to think he's prime Messi or Ronaldo

• Like 1

Â