Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, jim said:

Go and have a look at some of the posts this week and pre match.

Every single one of us wanted to destroy City and everything to click for Gerrard setting us up for a title race. What we post on here is diluted by the reality of the situation.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

That's great, maybe now that's actually happened, we can now follow up and sack him.

Yeah the next problem is that tonight I understood the plan was to stay compact and launch the ball in the general direction of watkins

Next week I'd like it to be to play actual football which so far has proved problematic... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macandally said:

Nobody wanted a drubbing, but the tea leaves suggested that was what would happen.

He deserves credit, today we had shape and structure and a team ethos.  But let’s be honest, that is the first time this season so he deserves the next one or two to see if he has actually stumbled on something or whether he resorts to type

That’s very reasonable and fair.

This changes nothing for me only confirming that this team is far better than what we've been producing until tonight. Good result, I'm grateful for the point and the players effort, but I'm not about to w*** myself silly over a draw at home ffs regardless of who it's against. 

• Thanks 1

Set up well and the players knew their role but we lose that game 9 times out of 10. Performances against Man City aren't the deciding factor but it will certainly mean he gets the next two games.

It's when we are expected to do well and actually have to try and keep possession and create chances that has been the problem. Next two games are still huge for him, anything less than a min of 3 points and he will still be gone.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Every single one of us wanted to destroy City and everything to click for Gerrard setting us up for a title race. What we post on here is diluted by the reality of the situation.

I want McGinn to put in MOTM performances every week and have 90%+ pass accuracy, but this is of course tempered by the reality of McGinn's ability.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I'll be honest, I hope this kick starts him now and he gets us going.

Not that I like him, or how he has been so far. But that I want every single manager who has had the job to succeed, as that means we are successful.

Isn't that what we all want? For us to succeed.

For me its his poor choices and stubbornness i dont like about him. Like making mcginn captain not playing luiz.

I dont actually hardly ever have a problem with his interviews.  I think he is generally honest.

If we saw more of today consistently then ill happily have him stay. But i have major reservations that this will happen

I hope that today was turning point with his mcginn sub

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Some people seem genuinely angry that we played well and got a point against one of the best teams in Europe. 

Wow. 

On form they are one of the best teams in Europe. Today was a off day, they didn't even get a yellow card, which generally shows how hard a team is playing.

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Set up well and the players knew their role but we lose that game 9 times out of 10. Performances against Man City aren't the deciding factor but it will certainly mean he gets the next two games.

It's when we are expected to do well and actually have to try and keep possession and create chances that has been the problem. Next two games are still huge for him, anything less than a min of 3 points and he will still be gone.

I don't think we lose that game 9 out of 10 - I actually didn't feel that nervous watching it, which is rare against the bigger clubs as they usually complete dominate.  Man City had huge amounts of possession, but didn't create as many great chances as they usually do and that's because we were very disciplined.  Played the game almost perfectly tbh and should have scored more on the counter too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

On form they are one of the best teams in Europe. Today was a off day, they didn't even get a yellow card, which generally shows how hard a team is playing.

Come one mate, thats a bullshit metric! :D 

We did ok today. Credit where its due. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jim said:

“No one outside Villa gave us a chance, of course our supporters will have” 

Didn't see the shameful comments from a few pre match then.

Did anyone expect him to play the formation he did? Not one indication has been given that he planned to drop his useless formation. 

Let's see if it makes a return against Leicester before we start actually believing we have any long term prospects under him. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

Did anyone expect him to play the formation he did? Not one indication has been given that he planned to drop his useless formation. 

Let's see if it makes a return against Leicester before we start actually believing we have any long term prospects under him. 

He's tweaked it every single game to be fair (which, in my opinion, is always a bad sign) rather than just sticking with something.

Just now, Sam3773 said:

You can be happy with today's result and still think the manager's time is up. 

They aren't mutually exclusive. 

I tend to think his time is up, but the great thing about today's game is I don't feel like we *urgently* need to replace him. I'm more comfortable with him getting a run of games now, as I can see the potential to now go and get enough points to climb up the table.

There's no point in sacking him if there's nobody good enough available (who wants to manage Villa!)

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Well yeah, that is what I have been saying. Need to follow up with a good performance next week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

He's tweaked it every single game to be fair (which, in my opinion, is always a bad sign) rather than just sticking with something.

Tweaked it, but kept the fundamental premises of two 8's covering full backs that venture forward. It doesn't work. Or rather, it doesn't work with the players he is using in that shape. Ramsey showed tonight he has to play further forward (if anywhere). In far from convinced he's realised this, but if he has, we might stand a chance.

Fundamental doubts remain (assuming he has now realised this) as to why it took him this long anyway.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does that not depend on whether or not the manager had an influence on the result?

No. I don't call for a managers head if we have one awful performance in a run of good games, I won't say he needs more time because of a good performance in a run of awful games. 

Â