Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, HongKongVillan said:

I think the most important lesson I have learned from SG tenure is that, you and I, can win the Scottish League if we get to manage either Celtic or Rangers.

Everyone should have already known this, I wouldn’t have gone anywhere near him at the beginning.

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

What I don't get is he has the chance to change things, but he continues with the same failed system. He needs to give the players a fighting chance to show what they can do!

Yep. This is the most worrying thing. His management career is crumbling before him but he's not once questioned his own system and tried something different. 

Yes his player selection has been diobolical at times but a manager has to learn and ditch systems if they are plainly not working. He's dug his own grave in this respect. 

• Like 1

Losing games happens.

Continuing to play a system that doesnt suit your players and being unable to coach them to improve. Demanding special players create something special to dig him out of a hole.

It's all something I'd expect to see one of those over eager U10 dad coaches do with a tactics board after playing too much FM and watching All or nothing a few times 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Pity to write off another season from the start 

Yup, that's the biggest shame. He will be gone and it's all gonna be ok again, but it's a wasted year. 

However, look at Newcastle. Relegation candidates this time last year, but finished very strong and higher than us. There is still a lot of football to be played. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Not  a fact at all it’s fake news - ever heard of remi garde? 
as for gerrard I’d give him to saints game 

I think it's based on having had a certain amount of matches in charge (30 maybe?)

Don't think Garde, Matteo or Black count as they weren't around for very long

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The only way I could have any respect for him now is if he were to resign. 

He and his agent will have gone to great lengths to negotiate his salary. I doubt he’ll walk away from it voluntarily. Stuart Pearce is the only manager I can think of who’s walked away from a pay off in recent memory.

Gerrard needs to go ASAP. I don't even care who we replace him with as I feel like almost any manager in the game right now could get a tune out of this squad. We don't have a bad squad, we don't have bad players, but we lack a manager that knows what he's doing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Losing games happens.

Continuing to play a system that doesnt suit your players and being unable to coach them to improve. Demanding special players create something special to dig him out of a hole.

It's all something I'd expect to see one of those over eager U10 dad coaches do with a tactics board after playing too much FM and watching All or nothing a few times 

Pavlovs dog syndrome 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We havent wrecked him, he has wrecked himself with some utterly poor decisions.

Trying to play a style that doenst suit these players, captainsgate (does anything else need to be said about that?) Wasting 28m on digne when targett was good enough, playing his favourites like mcginn and coutinho depsite them being very poor and inconsistent. Freezing sanson out for no reason, benching luiz.  Playing ings and watkins together all the time when its be a epic failure. 

Its been nothing short of a disaster under him and he has wrecked the club not us wrecked him

Yea , I know , thought it would happen when he was first linked with us and it's been 12 months of torture watching him and Purslow dismantle what had been built. 

36 minutes ago, useless said:

When he leaves I'm going to pen a really emotional farewell message and remind him in life there are ups and downs and there more important things than football.

What?

With his wages of about £4m to date and likely £5m-£10m compensation fee he’ll be too busy counting his money to read your farewell message and will probably laugh when he does.

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The only way I could have any respect for him now is if he were to resign. 

If I was him, I wouldn’t care about about respect if I know I’ll get £5m-£10m pay off.  No way, even with his money, would he walk away from that type of money.  He won’t care about Villa after this anyway and the media and co will be on his side so he’ll only lose our respect which won’t concern him.

28 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I think the most important lesson I have learned from SG tenure is that, you and I, can win the Scottish League if we get to manage either Celtic or Rangers.

St Johnstone won more domestic trophies than Rangers did during Gerrard's time in Scotland. Literally the only thing of note he did up there was get them exceeding expectations in Europe, but their new manager has done much better on that front

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

What alarms me with SG is that he doesn't own what's happening and take a step of leadership and the responsibility for it, and I'm not even talking publicly, or to the playing staff. I'm talking about to his own self. It's like he hasn't even considered the possibility this is on him.

Seems to me that his energy was spent becoming the great midfielder that he was for Liverpool, and while so much of the principles that got him to that level of success are ingrained in who he is to this day, the desire to work on his current game, managing and coaching, more specifically, managing and coaching us to where we need to be, is in stark contrast to his playing career. I could be dead wrong, but I'm saying it, I think this is more of a post career pastime than a career he's willing to invest in enough to be great at. As is, at least. Hope I'm misguided in that.

I think the fact that his home is still based near Liverpool suggests your theory could be correct.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think the fact that his home is still based near Liverpool suggests your theory could be correct.

But, but.......He's all in, and his coaches. It's the players fault for not being technical enough.

• Like 1

Â