Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The fact that he sees this as the issue on Sunday shows he has literally idea on how to turn it around

He needs to leave asap.

The bloke is in denial and shown zero evidence that he will turn this around.

It's hilarious that he's claiming the reason we lost is because of an unlucky deflection but at the same time continues to ignore the fact were tactically inept, poorly coached and have zero threat in front of goal.

Under 1 xG in 4 successive games now against teams we should be beating but it's ok guys relax we lost because of an unlucky deflection.

Enough is enough we have had it with the lame duck excuses and even more so the poor standard of football on show given the fact that the club has hiked ticket prices this season with the square root of f**k all to show for it.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, daft said:

I said pretty much this and got called a Trump supporting Brexiteer despite being neither American, English or trusting of any politician at all. I hate them all equally. We are in a spot of bother, and while throwing out Gerrard might be part of the solution, we cannot see it as the totality of. 

I'm sorry you got called things just for having an opinion, that's not cool.

It's clear that Gerrard is not going to be part of the solution, is Purslow going to be? I think that is open to some debate. I feel a bit for Lange, he's the Sporting Director and should be overseeing everything on the football side of things, but I think it's clear Purslow took over the recruitment process for appointing Gerrard, and Gerrard has been allowed to dictate transfer policy over him. He's not been in control. Maybe he should be stronger? Or maybe he's had no option but to accept it? I don't know but it should be reviewed, as should pretty much everything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I'm just being silly mate.

Don't know what else to do with myself.

( Although I should be doing work )

We both know in our heart of hearts that Leon will be sent on in the 75th minute when 2-0 down and expected to turn the game around single-handedly while receiving the ball surrounded by Arsenal players and the nearest Villa player 20 yards away. Gerrard will then bemoan the lack of creative spark from the players on the pitch in his post-match interview.

On the not knowing what to do with yourself, if it's villa-related, maybe just tune out until the match tomorrow. Get away from the noise.

1 hour ago, weedman said:

That Archer sub is the sort of thing managers do to waste a bit of time at the end of the game, baffling 

This was a worse decision than Douglas substitution.  Makes no fecking sense,  has bothered me since Sunday.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

What, like keep signing players? 😂😂

It was the same with Bruce. Couldn't judge him because he didn't have a midfield enforcer. Smith, judge away. Gerrard, can't judge him because he hasn't got the players. 

37 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The fact that he sees this as the issue on Sunday shows he has literally idea on how to turn it around

Similar to the disallowed goal, saying if that had gone our way etc. Idiot, the ball was out of play so the goal was never going to be given. 

It's crazy how you see what people are really about when their up against it and never when things are good. Gerrard, for all the good interviews and media portrayal is now starting to come across as not only ignorant but stupid as well. 

• Like 1

Im behind SG all the way.Its the players that have let him down,so far.I mean Archer came on when we were 0-1 down with 30seconds to go and let Steve down by not scoring 2 goals for a Villa win.As for Bailey,he had 14 minutes FFS,and did he score ?......No.He let Steve down as well.We need players that will stand up and be counted,I mean Bailey and Archer had 14 1/2 minutes between them and could not even score once.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

start of his reign: "we need to install a no excuse culture at the club". today's presser: "We’ll do our best, people are working hard in the background to support me in those areas. It was a blow to lose Diego Carlos as he was out major statement signing – having him missing has certainly been felt."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Similar to the disallowed goal, saying if that had gone our way etc. Idiot, the ball was out of play so the goal was never going to be given. 

It's crazy how you see what people are really about when their up against it and never when things are good. Gerrard, for all the good interviews and media portrayal is now starting to come across as not only ignorant but stupid as well. 

He said something similar after Palace. It shows his intent really. He just wants to keep it tight and nick games. When games are level or even down just 1 goal, it's "still in the balance". How is it in the balance if the other team are controlling the game and creating chances? Seems like the balance is tipped in favour of them, no? If you don't take control of the game, how do you expect the balance to tip in your favour? He doesn't. It's all chance to him. If I have better players, and the luck goes my way, I can win this. It's actually kind of funny how he's basically Steve Bruce.

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

This is why he has fallen out with Mings I suspect; Gerrard probably feels threatened by his superior intellect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hughes said:

start of his reign: "we need to install a no excuse culture at the club". today's presser: "We’ll do our best, people are working hard in the background to support me in those areas. It was a blow to lose Diego Carlos as he was out major statement signing – having him missing has certainly been felt."

Yeah I imagine this no excuse culture is about to dissappear 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hughes said:

To be fair, transfers are a totally different proposition to Football matches and team etc.

That's down to the whole club, not just him.

This "different approach" usually the death knell of managers. Similar to when Dean decided to start employing the 352, which worked once against a poor United side, and then trounced over and over.

There's a tiny list of managers who change their philosophies and style of play mid-season and end up being successful.

The Vecna clock just ticking louder and louder.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 3

Just now, DJBOB said:

This "different approach" usually the death knell of managers. Similar to when Dean decided to start employing the 352, which worked once against a poor United side, and then trounced over and over.

There's a tiny list of managers who change their philosophies mid-season and end up being successful.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying - it is usually the death knell for managers - at least he is trying something different. 

He can't win either way. If he sticks with his system - he gets pasted for being stubborn and not seeking to utilise his players properly. 

If he prepares a different approach - he gets pasted for being rash and desperate. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

There's a tiny list of managers who change their philosophies mid-season and end up being successful.

I was thinking the “send out all the strikers” moment against Southampton as a different approach lol.

Â