Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Thug said:

He’s clearly rubbed up too many people the wrong way.

This team are not playing for him.

I don’t even think that’s true. They’re trying, they’re just told to do all the wrong things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

Apologies - he's still our manager and I support the team, disrespecetful on my end as you're right, he isn't sacked yet. 

I like him personally - but not as our manager... I'll support him and the team as long as he's here and hopefully he magically turns it around, but its just awful atm. 

I can’t support against us, but he might have a fluke point and heroic defensive performance at Arsenal. Which might lead to another bad results. 
Thats why I want him out before Arsenal game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

Apologies - he's still our manager and I support the team, disrespecetful on my end as you're right, he isn't sacked yet. 

I like him personally - but not as our manager... I'll support him and the team as long as he's here and hopefully he magically turns it around, but its just awful atm. 

Oh, I wasn’t criticising! I’d been pondering myself what he’d do after and then thought not to get ahead of myself. We’re all talking like it’s a done deal but he may well stick around for a while longer especially if he get the odd win here and there. 

• Like 1

Even with 60% possession we were utterly shit.  Just passing it around in our own half for the sake of it just bores the hell out of me.  There’s just no ideas.  The only player who can actually unlock a defence with a pass doesn’t start.  Everything about his tactics is to get it to the fullbacks to cross it in… to nobody.  Cash can’t cross.  Digne can, but what are Ings and Watkins going to do against 6ft+ defenders?

It’s so damn depressing.  Coming from some of the best football I’ve seen at villa (under Smith) to this utter shite.

Yes, it went stale under Smith, and I could see some logic in sacking him.  But my god, not for THIS.

• Like 2

Smith was owed a lot longer. Losing our talisman was gutwrenching for the club, the fans, and presumably his teammates. The signings were weak and didn't fit our style - any idiot could see it... no way Ings & co were Smith signings. Purslow set him up to fail.

Gerrard... while he didnt put the team together, and one of his big signings is crocked... he hasn't done enough to stay as manager of a premiership side. That's the truth. Like our youngsters, he should be on loan in League 1, learning his trade. Rangers... ffs... he did well, but it's Real vs Barca up there... even more locked up than that - no Atleti, Sevilla, to put up a fight.

Now he's blaming the players every week. Terrible leadership. When you win, your team get the credit, when you lose, you take accountability. You never publicly point fingers at your team. Not unless you want them to quit working for you. Give praise publicly, give criticism privately. Basics of leadership. Shocked he has his badges.

Get out. You don't deserve to work at Villa.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Oh, I wasn’t criticising! I’d been pondering myself what he’d do after and then thought not to get ahead of myself. We’re all talking like it’s a done deal but he may well stick around for a while longer especially if he get the odd win here and there. 

I was thinking the same thing - but also after the result today, I wouldn't have been surprised if the owners had immediately cut ties and I got that FotMob alert on my phone saying "Gerrard sacked". A bit extreme, but I do wonder how patient these owners are...

Edited by trillvillan
  • Like 1

I'm not saying that he's the next Fergie, but Newton Heath were on the verge of sacking Alex Ferguson in 1990. They were booed off at home after a 0-0 draw with QPR and Steve Curry wrote in the Daily Express that he had ''the worst record of any United manager of modern times", had it not been for a Mark Robbins FA Cup winner at Forest, they would have probably sacked a manager that had then only managed 9 wins from their previous 35 games.

Sacking managers early doors doesn't always work at Villa Park either, as earlier relegation years demonstrate. We are on a dreadful run, but we might struggle to appoint most of the high calibre names that have been mentioned, if SG isn't seen to have been given enough games this season to try to turn things around. Our next couple of games are unlikely to see the points rolling in and I think the World Cup break would be an appropriate time to see where we are. That said, I can appreciate that I'm in the minority tonight and after a better than could reasonably been expected start to his time at Villa Park, those results/performances have not been sustained.     

He isn’t a manager for this era. He would have probably worked ok 20 years ago, but everyone else is two steps ahead of him now. Managers are far more tactically aware and think strategically how and what they do - Potter being the obvious example. 

Gerard doesn’t try knew things, he keeps rinsing and repeating the same old things, expecting different results. 

The Mcgin situation is what Ten Hag faced at United. He gave Maguire two games and realised he was dragging the side down, slowing them up, etc. he didn’t keep on doing the same thing, he changed things. He dropped the captain and he put together a team that for the Liverpool match was strategically spot on. 

As many have said, Gerard thinks it is all about him, and like Purslow, I think pride is one of his biggest weaknesses 

Edited by ThornburyVilla
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThornburyVilla said:

Gerard doesn’t try knew things, he keeps rinsing and repeating the same old things, expecting different results. 

Perfect example against palace where it was clear that they were exploiting the highline and space in wide areas. Gerrard didn't do anything to stop it, even when we were being cut open time and time again. Shows a complete lack of tactical awareness. 

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

Think of the money we spent -

hiring MacPhee

relieving Terry and O’Kelly of their contracts

hiring Danks

paying off Smith’s contract

paying off Rangers

paying Gerrard’s 5x Smith’s salary

paying off Blackpool for Critchley

now having to sack all of them

spacer.png

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, John said:

I'm not saying that he's the next Fergie, but Newton Heath were on the verge of sacking Alex Ferguson in 1990. They were booed off at home after a 0-0 draw with QPR and Steve Curry wrote in the Daily Express that he had ''the worst record of any United manager of modern times", had it not been for a Mark Robbins FA Cup winner at Forest, they would have probably sacked a manager that had then only managed 9 wins from their previous 35 games.

Sacking managers early doors doesn't always work at Villa Park either, as earlier relegation years demonstrate. We are on a dreadful run, but we might struggle to appoint most of the high calibre names that have been mentioned, if SG isn't seen to have been given enough games this season to try to turn things around. Our next couple of games are unlikely to see the points rolling in and I think the World Cup break would be an appropriate time to see where we are. That said, I can appreciate that I'm in the minority tonight and after a better than could reasonably been expected start to his time at Villa Park, those results/performances have not been sustained.     

Endless rebuilding is no good, but citing Alex Ferguson is a really poor example too.  Ferguson had an exceptional pedigree coming into the Manchester United job, he'd managed to break the Old Firm domination of Scottish football and win the SPL three times with Aberdeen.  He'd beaten Real Madrid in the Cup Winners Cup final too. The guy was legit.  Gerrard is a man who won a two horse race at the third time of asking. 

• Like 4

His job is safe in the short term, the next two are seen as effectively 'free hits', well not free hits exactly, but he won't be losing his job on the back of losing those games should that happen. He wil be given a run of games after the Arsenal and Manchester City fixtures, to try and turn things around. The Villa board have no appetite to make another managerial change early in the season, so are going to give Gerrard time to turn things around.

• Sad 1

amazing that if he loses the next two games he will be the worst manager in our history in terms of win percentage, since the creation of the club in 1874.

wtf thats some stat lol.

Â