Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

One thing Gerrard had mentioned a lot last season was that it was hard to put his stamp on the team in terms of style when the games were coming thick and fast. Now we've had a full preseason, and I don't really see any changes in terms of style and cohesion? We look pretty much the same as we did last season to be honest.

The games were coming thick and fast so he couldn't put his stamp on the team.

So he's arranged an extra couple of friendlies.

I’ve never known a pre season come under so much scrutiny. 

You’d think we’d spent £150m and replaced the first 11 the way some are going on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Anyone else alarmed how recent week has gone, traore told train with u23's, and the captain debacle.

I really think the obsession with Gerrard style and his  insistence on playing it will hamper us. Possesion football is out the window for this season, wrong personel in the system evident today.

10 people screaming on villatalk forum about captaincy  and how they dont like mcginn.

thats a debacle???? lol

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Clueless and gone by Christmas, something going on behind the scenes I reckon.

When u say something going on, like what? I can't imagine SG has lost the support of Purslow and he has been well supported in the window. Do u think a player revolt?

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

When u say something going on, like what? I can't imagine SG has lost the support of Purslow and he has been well supported in the window. Do u think a player revolt?

I think he was being ironic tbh.

54 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Anyone else alarmed how recent week has gone, traore told train with u23's, and the captain debacle.

I really think the obsession with Gerrard style and his  insistence on playing it will hamper us. Possesion football is out the window for this season, wrong personel in the system evident today.

Nope.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Rightly or wrongly there a quite a few fans who don't like Gerrard. 

As such he won't get much slack if results / performances aren't good. The only way for it to go away is an absolute storming season hovering in the high echelons of the table.

It is such pity that, it just ruins any decent debate as people argue with bias as opposed to what is happening at our club

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

It is such pity that, it just ruins any decent debate as people argue with bias as opposed to what is happening at our club

TBH I think it's similar with any manager - but look at page 1 of this thread. He wasn't popular from the get go.

I'm not a fan of SG myself. Have to say though results have overall been good enough for a guy yet to complete a full season.

I'd be content with 10th. But I would like to see us turn on the style a bit more.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

No. 

We've had an excellent pre-season IMO. 

Im concerned about the season starting next week to be honest. Couldn’t tell you who’s starting, not really happy with how we’re playing or could even tell you how we’re trying to play 

Edited by IrishVilla10

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I really don't know how this season is going to go. The squad has improved and we should be better than last year but I'm not convinced we can be a top half team yet. 

I don't think the manager knows his best team and I don't think we've got a consistent way of playing. 

He has my full backing but in concerned. 

Yep.  I’d go further that I think that Gerrard has a team that he wants to play but it isn’t working and some of the “2nd team” are playing better/making more impact when they come on or play separately.  I worry this team doesn’t have a way of playing and lack cohesion going forwards.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

Rightly or wrongly there a quite a few fans who don't like Gerrard. 

As such he won't get much slack if results / performances aren't good. The only way for it to go away is an absolute storming season hovering in the high echelons of the table.

I'm pretty confident we can get 10th - just on the amount of quality in the squad.

Beyond that we need to see a team being moulded. 

Weve squeezed decent results in pre season and imo that's how the season will pan out. Narrow victories over lesser sides.

But not long to wait now.

Judgement Day looms. 

Â