Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

So you can see that Gerrard’s defensive stats are good then? 😉

Well we play more defensive football under him so it should naturally be better 😛

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Have you got any facts to back that up?

We have a lot less of the ball than last season and are a counter attacking team now. Burnley is the first game we have won since Everton that we had more possession than the opposition 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have a lot less of the ball than last season and are a counter attacking team now. Burnley is the first game we have won since Everton that we had more possession than the opposition 

We were a counter attacking team under Smith 

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

We were a counter attacking team under Smith 

But with more attacking intent. Arsenal game last season we could have hit them for 5 or 6, Liverpool we should have scored 10 incredibly 

I dont think Gerrard has that in his managerial DNA which is more Rafa than Klopp to go for the throat. Southampton game  for example they were there to be hit for 7 or 8 but we just sat back at 4-0 and played out the last 40 minutes 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But with more attacking intent. Arsenal game last season we could have hit them for 5 or 6, Liverpool we should have scored 10 incredibly 

I dont think Gerrard has that in his managerial DNA which is more Rafa than Klopp to go for the throat. Southampton game  for example they were there to be hit for 7 or 8 but we just sat back at 4-0 and played out the last 40 minutes 

We failed to beat so many teams below us who defended deep. That's the problem with counter attacking sides. It only gets you so far. 

• Like 2

Villa rarely have high possession figures, was much the same under Smith. Wouldn’t say we’re a typical counter attacking team, like Spurs under Conte, but we’re near the top when it comes to progressing the ball quickly. Relatively few passes and quick attacks, often making difficult passes leading to lost possession.

In the 7-2 against Liverpool, Villa had 30% possession which is logical as Liverpool went behind in the 4th minute.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For me it's not about his DNA, it's that Gerrard doesn't have a Grealish in the team (if I'm comparing those games last year under Smith).

Even with Buendia/Coutinho, they're just not as quick and direct as Grealish was (not saying he was quick, but he was quicker). He was so effective for us. If Bailey was actually quick or fit and more the player we all imagined he was then maybe we'd be more effective on the counter.

57 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

OK, checked some of it myself. Under Smith this season we conceded an average of 1.73 goals per game. Under Gerrard it’s been 1.17.

Last season we conceded 1.21 on average.

Just imagine if we could have scored some more goals during those games we lost by a goal (West Ham, Wolves, Arsenal, Watford, Newcastle, Man U). Another 6 points? 9? 12?

I think the debate is a bit pointless on what has already gone. He has got the points to keep us up and keep his job for next season.

He is probably going to make significant changes over the summer - that will one way or the other shape his VP tenure.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hippo said:

If you're winning it doesn't matter - hell we'd have liked McLeish if he'd got us 4th and won the FA cup. !!!!

Liking/not liking Gerrard only becomes an issue if he isn't winning. Being a former Liverpool hero - I think the fans might turn slightly quicker.

But his popularity or otherwise is a sideshow to results on the pitch.

Now, I agree with that.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

But last season we had Jack Grealish , most of the goals this season under  Smith came from the  Austin MacPhee playbook, Matty Cash was turning into Rory Delap. I agree we haven’t been clinical enough at times under Gerrard but that’s been down to poor finishing and a team that’s still learning and getting used to the system, clean sheets are incredibly important , conceding less goals is important just ask leeds, or look higher up the table at the clubs we aspire to be competing with, Your judging Gerrard way to early positive work always starts out by laying the foundations first.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

we just sat back at 4-0 and played out the last 40 minutes 

Bastard, Gerrard out, should have won 8-0.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ve been critical of Gerrard but tonight you can’t be because it was a performance on the whole to be proud of against one of the top European teams.  Nobody would’ve argued if we had come away with at least a draw…their quality and the ref just nicked them the win.

Well I am critical of him tonight.

That first sub was a major and avoidable mistake that may have cost us the draw at least.

And moving one of our best players at that stage to a position he cannot play. 

And not starting Buendia, our best player, in order to justify the signing of Coutinho.

• Like 1

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Well I am critical of him tonight.

That first sub was a major and avoidable mistake that may have cost us the draw at least.

And moving one of our best players at that stage to a position he cannot play. 

And not starting Buendia, our best player, in order to justify the signing of Coutinho.

Fair enough, but out of all the things I have been critical on with Gerrard he got the team up for the game, we competed, we seem to have a game plan to get chances, we were better in midfield and our defence was ok.  

I’ve wanted us to show desire, a game plan, be organised and go for it.  We did that tonight against one of the best teams.  I’ve been very critical of Gerrard and yes the sub and change of positions for Dougie was an error.  

I also believed Emi should’ve started but for me it was a huge step forward tonight.  

It was one game and I still have some big concerns over Gerrard going forwards and yes he made some mistakes but I’m here after the game proud of my team despite being disappointed with the result.  I have to give Gerrard credit for that!

• Like 1

If we can persist with this formation and add some quality through the spine, I think we could be in for a decent season next year. We need to hit the ground running as the strategy seems to have shifted to a more short-term vision but for the first real time I am starting to see a semblance of identity with "Gerrard's Villa"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â