Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 13/03/2022 at 13:13, Xela said:

Modern football, where you are only as good as your last game. I hate what the sport has become. 

That is the beauty of sports, you can't get buy on a reputation !! You need to bring it on a regular basis !!

16 hours ago, gurru991 said:

That is the beauty of sports, you can't get buy on a reputation !! You need to bring it on a regular basis !!

Unless you are Steve Bruce ;) 

• Haha 2

On 13/03/2022 at 19:48, nick76 said:

I’m on the Gerrard train but to be fair he is a rookie manager and it’s too early to know whether he doesn’t know what he’s doing or he’s the next messiah.  

he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t quite understand???

It's a niche joke that you won't get unless you have ever had the experience on the cross city line. But the general rhetorical question was... Will gerrard take us to where we want to get to?

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

It's a niche joke that you won't get unless you have ever had the experience on the cross city line. But the general rhetorical question was... Will gerrard take us to where we want to get to?

Depends if you’re happy to be on a train terminating at Four Oaks - I am.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Is this the one where you thought you were going to Lichfield Trent Valley but it ends at Four Oaks? 

Could be worse - you've gone past Four Oaks and are stuck at Blake street due to a broken train and wait in line of 30 people wanting to catch the same Uber.

I'm sure there is a Villa analogy here somewhere. 

• Like 1

Another good presser. I liked his response to players who maybe frustrated they are not getting starts "We have been frustrated when they have unperformed or gone away on international duty and come back injured. They have an opportunity to impress me every day in training. When they out train the starters then they will get an opportunity."

Fair enough. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Another good presser. I liked his response to players who maybe frustrated they are not getting starts "We have been frustrated when they have unperformed or gone away on international duty and come back injured. They have an opportunity to impress me every day in training. When they out train the starters then they will get an opportunity."

Fair enough. 

True, but do the likes of Sanson and Chuk and even Buendia really not train hard? Seems unlikely.

• Like 2

The next few weeks will be a test of a different kind for Gerrard. It probably doesn’t take much to motivate a team fighting for survival or pushing for  trophy or CL place.

We’re doing nothing this season. So he needs to fire them up on a match by match basis to give their all to finish top half. It might not matter to the players but it definitely does to the fans so I hope he gets the message across.

2 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

True, but do the likes of Sanson and Chuk and even Buendia really not train hard? Seems unlikely.

Buendia seems like a man possessed so I think he is the exception :) The question was asked about Leon Bailey & Traore but he took it broader. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

The next few weeks will be a test of a different kind for Gerrard. It probably doesn’t take much to motivate a team fighting for survival or pushing for  trophy or CL place.

We’re doing nothing this season. So he needs to fire them up on a match by match basis to give their all to finish top half. It might not matter to the players but it definitely does to the fans so I hope he gets the message across.

The good thing now is that we have genuine competition for places across the team. In past seasons the eleven generally picked itself irrespective of player form.

14 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

And for wide players, you know they could be the best in training and Gerrard would not start them. I suppose the point is we have no idea, but it does seem a bit of a flippant comment that doesn't really reflect how we all know professional football works. 

Perhaps McGinn runs himself into the ground in training, which might explain a few performances over the last couple of months? On form and matchday evidence he'd be in and out of the team. 

16 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

I didn’t think it’s a question of just training HARD. And that’s not what Gerrard said.

Â