Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

By no means do I think we should be thinking of getting rid. But I am nervous about our transfer policy come the summer.

I don't think we should be giving him £40m+ players after Coutinho. Bissouma may well be a good player but I'm concerned that we'll fast become Everton. Full of good players from other Prem teams, for massive money and end up being very mediocre.

I'd like us to go back to our old policy.

Ibrahim Sangare is the buy for me in midfield, I really like Bissouma but I'm not convinced I want a hugely expensive squad built by Gerrard. Smart buys with sell on value I think for me

• Like 4

I said when Smith left I think we traded a guaranteed 11th-14th finish for a potential relegation battle just as Gerrard is a novice so unpredictable.

I think - THINK - he did enough in his first few games that I was wrong, and we are still sitting comfortably midtable if you don’t look too closely at the details, so I think all in all it remains a zero sum decision but with some potential upside… but the last couple of games have reignited those doubts about the risk…

17 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Of course, SG can still turn it around. What Spurs or any other club does means nothing to us though. 

So you got my point and then missed the point. What other clubs do does have meaning though, it affects where we are in the league. 

27 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t believe in his system.

He’s copied Liverpool’s blueprint but doesn’t have the players to make it work.

Our fullbacks are forced to run the length of the pitch back and forth because we don’t control the play. They are knackered after a full sprint getting into position and are in no state to defend properly when getting back or put in a cross when getting forward. Our previous star midfielders of McGinn and Ramsey are pinned back as wide defensive midfielders, pressing the opposition wingers. Luiz is left in the middle of the park by himself getting over run. Our star attacking midfielders are forced to come deep for the ball and have too many players in front of them to do anything with it and our striker is isolated and well covered by defenders.

We are barely recording any shots on target whilst regularly being cut open. 

My biggest worry is that Gerrard has all his eggs in this ‘system’ because it worked in Scotland and is not capable of finding one that actually suits our personnel. He’s not shown any kind of tactical flexibility as yet and his answer today to his plan not working was to throw on all the attacking players at once. It reminded me of Lambert against Bradford in the League Cup semifinal.

you might be right and I think those are all valid criticisms. but imo he deserves the time to implement the system he believes in to the best of his potential. I think the majority of the problems we're facing right now is due to a lack of confidence. too much hesitation and indecision is costing us.

I really want this to work out.

I like the profile that Gerrard has bought to the club. He's got lots of good faith from the media which helps. We're able to bring the likes of Coutinho because of him.

I want him to stay and be a success, but he needs help and soon. He's way out of his depth.

He needs a better assistant to join the backroom staff, someone who knows the league with a bit of experience.

God knows who that might be but he and his coaches definitely needs some help.

I'd like to think a wiser old head might help with things on the pitch whilst Gerrard remains as the figure head.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

The thing that is worrying for me is after the last game is he said, “there will be changes”. There was one change. I was fuming as soon as I saw the line up as to me, there needed to be a lot more. 

Too many of these players are getting a free pass into the starting IX, I can’t help thinking what that does to the squad players that have to sit there and accept it. 
Gerrard said that Tim Iroegbenum was close to starting, so start him! Is Sanson really that woeful that he doesn’t deserve a chance? 

Sending Archer and Kesler out on loan was a massive error for me. Youth players are usually pretty fearless when they play, we need some of that right now. The tried,  tested and supposedly experienced ones are proving to be holding us back right now. As for Gerrard, I couldn’t believe he even put Ings and Watkins in a 442 when it’s been nothing short of pathetic every time prior.

Something needs to change drastically, I’m not saying it needs to be the manager, but he needs to make some big decisions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I really want this to work out.

I like the profile that Gerrard has bought to the club. He's got lots of good faith from the media which helps. We're able to bring the likes of Coutinho because of him.

I want him to stay and be a success, but he needs help and soon. He's way out of his depth.

He needs a better assistant to join the backroom staff, someone who knows the league with a bit of experience.

God knows who that might be but he and his coaches definitely needs some help.

I'd like to think a wiser old head might help with things on the pitch whilst Gerrard remains as the figure head.

Wasn't Beale supposed to be this wonder coach. And Gary Mac is that experienced coach you describe but then he was here for months of turgid play under Houllier....

• Like 1

He just needs to go back to basics a bit, Stop trying some completely different system until he can get the players in who can play it. 

We look so fragile all the time, especially in transition when we lose the ball. We need more defensive minded players for this formation/system to work. 

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't Beale supposed to be this wonder coach. And Gary Mac is that experienced coach you describe but then he was here for months of turgid play under Houllier....

Beale has gained a reputation in the SPL as far as I'm aware. The Premier League is a step up, it's proving to be a bloody big step. MacAlister might be experienced but hasn't been successful in England I don't believe.

Honestly don't know who to suggest. David Platt, Brian Kidd (not sure if they're good choices tbh) but you'd hope they'd be someone out there. Steve McLaren???

Edited by jimmygreaves

2 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Beale has gained a reputation in the SPL as far as I'm aware. The Premier League is a step up, it's proving to be a bloody big step. MacAlister might be experienced but hasn't been successful in England I don't believe.

Honestly don't know who to suggest. David Platt, Brian Kidd (not sure if they're good choices tbh) but you'd hope they'd be someone out there. Steve McLaren???

I think Beale was at Liverpool with him coaching in the academy but could be wrong.

There's only so many good number twos to go around, we had the experienced head of Ray Wilkins here for a bit under Sherwood and also Roy Keane with Lambert for a few months and both were a disaster.

As said above formation has been found out so we'll see next match what Gerrard's plan B is. If there is one of course.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

If someone had written something like this about Smith a few months back, you’d have been one of the first to two foot them.

We were shite under Smith for nearly 12 months. If we don’t improve next season I’ll two foot myself. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He's out of his depth.

What makes you say he's out of his depth? All these great managers who've bombed in Premier League jobs in recent years, were they out of their depth?

It's just a meaningless throwaway phrase.

• Like 2

Just now, R.Bear said:

What makes you say he's out of his depth? All these great managers who've bombed in Premier League jobs in recent years, were they out of their depth?

It's just a meaningless throwaway phrase.

"Great managers"

He's out of his depth because he is implementing a system that does not work with this squad. Any system works up in scotland for the old firm.

He's out of his depth because he talks about mentality, being ruthless and ringing the changes, yet doesnt do any of these things, because he doesnt know how to do it.

He's out of his depth because when the going gets tough, he slumps back in his chair rather than bark orders at the players from the touchline.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jim said:

We were shite under Smith for nearly 12 months. If we don’t improve next season I’ll two foot myself. 

We were “shite” under Smith from about mid Feb to mid May. That was when the form really dropped off to about a point a game. And then all of October, just going into November, yes again, shite.

So four months, yeah agreed, shite. Not “nearly twelve months”.

It was time for Smith to go, but exaggerating it hinders the argument.

• Like 3

Â