Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The narrative has changed, everyone is now thinking he is the wrong man.

It’s early days, and he is already fighting for his life even if he isn’t going to get sacked, but he still has time to turn it around. But today was was no better than Newcastle, we just have no control, no movement and offer no threat. We are so easy to defend against, the wing back crosses are easily swatted away. How we end up with more possession escapes me, perhaps it’s all the passing between the defenders in our own third.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

Just now, CVByrne said:

Not Gerrards fault, this team have been shit since January last year. 

He's made deals worth £68m to the club for new players (although assume Coutinho won't be taking up the offer come summer now)

Don't get me wrong Digne and Coutinho are good buys. But we still don't have an improved midfield, still don't have competition at fullbacks and still don't have competition at CB. We treated January like Football Manager and whilst we improved the squad. We didn't actually remove any of our weaknesses. 

He had a mini pre-season, something no other managers normally get that join halfway through the season and is failing to implement any tactics or style. He also is (so far, bar United with £140m Coutinho on the bench.) incapable of changing games with substitutions.

It's a little bit his fault 

• Like 2

The bottom line is, you have to almost ignore who the manager is. Meaning if it was Tim Sherwood or Remi Garde in charge, what would the reaction be? The manager being Steven Gerrard shouldnt give him any leighway at all. Games like Newcastle happen, I said last week I'll judge him after this game for that reason. Gerrard has to really pull something out of the bag in the next few weeks.

Today totally unacceptable - for all the talk after the newcastle game to then make 1 change is pathetic - gerrard has lost a lot of credit today for me and shown worrying signs that he is a weak manager , we are in a total mess , one win in 8 and look a shambles 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Isn't it his job to change that?

He has to get rid of the failures who are the spine of the team. McGinn. Mings, Watkins and Luiz need to be got rid of. They epitomise the utter mental frailty and failure of the club

I'm fast coming to the view that it doesn't matter who we have as manager, they'll all end up producing the exact same kind of awful, weak, losing, lethargic football, no matter how well they start off. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to get to that point.

• Sad 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

He has to get rid of the failures who are the spine of the team. McGinn. Mings, Watkins and Luiz need to be got rid of. They epitomise the utter mental frailty and failure of the club

Our owners are constantly spending money and constantly changing the team, is constant change the answer?

It's a fair point that the players aren't good enough. The midfield 3 isn't up to it whatever combination you concoct. Cash isn't, neither are the strikers. We have two brilliantly talented but lightweight creative players with no one to play off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'm fast coming to the view that it doesn't matter who we have as manager, they'll all end up producing the exact same kind of awful, weak, losing, lethargic football, no matter how well they start off. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to get to that point.

Not actually true though is it. Last season we beat Chelsea, Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool in the league

• Like 1

Â