Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Worrying trend of lackluster creative output is starting to surface. xG of .4 this time versus Chelsea.  5th game under Steven where we failed to break an xG of 1. 

Still early days but you hope we start creating a bit more. Otherwise that puts a lot of pressure on our defense to keep a clean sheet everytime out. 

• Like 1

I think yesterday will have shown to Gerrard our weaknesses more than any other game because there were bits from everybody in the negative column and together as a team.  He will have also seen some positives from it.  For me it really showed where we are in terms of quality, ability, mentality and position.  In some ways it was the right time to do it, just before a transfer window although I don’t expect much, it was also against a team we probably based on percentages expect to lose to and early into Gerrard’s reign that he can use to work on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Gerrard's MO coming in was to stop the rot, embed his tactics/philosophy and to improve performances/results. Done all that for me.

January he might bring in one or two at max but from now till the end of the season its about further improving the above and aiming for a top 10 finish. 

We as fans need to slow down and get a bit of perspective. It will take 2 or 3 windows to get us where he really wants us

Stop with this ‘talking sense’ it will never catch on

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at our fixtures for the next 2 months we can potentially pick up some serious points.  Hopefully injuries / suspensions can be kind to us.

Did you just doom us? 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I think he'll have very specific ideas about the sorts of players he wants.

That bodes well.

Really - I think he will stroll into Lange's office exchange a few compliments of the season - then as he leaving will casually say "if you get chance can you pick up a couple of full backs on your way home ?"...😃😃😃😃

I think it's very telling how the players are making the very same mistakes under Gerrard that they were making under Smith. 

They let down DS in a big way and that is now very clear to see. Maybe SG not being on the touchline last night did have an effect on the performance. So what does that say about these players ? They can't be trusted to motivate themselves for one. They lack focus and discipline at times when it is needed most. 

Without those ridiculous errors last night, we may have come away with all three points, and that isn't the only game where you could make the same point. 

At this level you just cannot be that error- prone. I don't see SG standing for that kind of thing too long, and rightly so. Maybe DS gave them too much slack. Now maybe it's time for some individuals to hear some home truths, either fix up or find a new club.

Wondering if SG seeing this game live on TV when he is the manager with all that is riding on it will have given him a slight different insight on what we need/missing /formation/tactic. He has watched all the games we played before he was manager and all we have after but not with this first viewing if you will. It would be a very different perspective/first impression.

42 minutes ago, jim said:

Apart from there being a fair few that will have hardly trained last week due to Covid and the manager not being there, who knows how much input he had. 

Also, the manager has been here 5 minutes, he doesn’t have a magic wand unfortunately.

What? He didn’t bring a magic wand? Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. SG out!!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Gerrard's MO coming in was to stop the rot, embed his tactics/philosophy and to improve performances/results. Done all that for me.

January he might bring in one or two at max but from now till the end of the season its about further improving the above and aiming for a top 10 finish. 

We as fans need to slow down and get a bit of perspective. It will take 2 or 3 windows to get us where he really wants us

Yes, a top ten finish would be a successful season. It would be improvement from last year after a summer when we lost our best player and centerpiece of our game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, a top ten finish would be a successful season. It would be improvement from last year after a summer when we lost our best player and centerpiece of our game.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

A top 10 finish would be a huge success IMO. 

A couple of strong acquisitions in January and I think we can finish the season strongly; Gerrard will demand this.

Pushing for the top eight if we can achieve this?!

However I also agree top ten would be a steady improvement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A couple of strong acquisitions in January and I think we can finish the season strongly; Gerrard will demand this.

Pushing for the top eight if we can achieve this?!

However I also agree top ten would be a steady improvement.

I always maintained under Smith that we would have a strong 2nd half to the season, so I definitely believe the same under Gerrard.

• Like 3

On 26/12/2021 at 22:29, Rightdm00 said:

Worrying trend of lackluster creative output is starting to surface. xG of .4 this time versus Chelsea.  5th game under Steven where we failed to break an xG of 1. 

I'd be more concerned if the run hadn't included Chelsea, Liverpool, Citeh and Leicester. Not sure how many teams create lots in those games. 

Â