Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Gerrard seems to be one of those managers that commands respect. A bit like a Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola as opposed to a Solskjaer, 

He seems to be in complete control and the players know that he is the man in charge.

As much as I loved Smith as manager I didn't get the same feeling.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Gerrard seems to be one of those managers that commands respect. A bit like a Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola as opposed to a Solskjaer, 

He seems to be in complete control and the players know that he is the man in charge.

Good example, for all we know, Solskjaer might actually be a very good coach, but just " too nice " , and it's why the players probably love him as well.

Similar parrallels to our own Deano I suspect.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

When he was talking about players who are currently in his good books but need to perform to stay there I thought that really showed the authority he has already

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah don't think he meant it too negatively. He also said it was Konsa who scored the disallowed goal, don't know what he's doing! ;)

Ye I noticed that to, I have the feeling he just want to get the media stuff over and done with asap and get back to doing real Work

I think it's obvious that a team reflects it's manager's character and attributes.

Dean's team became a decent bunch of lads who could play some good football but were too often playing in their comfort zone without a lot of passion, attitude and aggression and no real desire to run the hard miles over 90 minutes.

Gerard's team consists of the same players who have already started to take on a much more committed persona. The last two matches have demonstrated that the half time team talk has put some real backbone (plus a little bit of fear of consequences) into players who are still willing to take their foot off the gas as they've been used to doing until very recently.

When Gerard said that the first half performance raised issues that need to be sorted it wasn't just talk. You can bet that the players will have felt the force of his displeasure today when watching back that first half stroll.

I look forward to more visual evidence of developing attitude, aggression and energy on and off the ball. It's only been four matches but the signs are that SG will not accept anything less than total dedication to the task by the whole squad.

He and his coaching staff will give it everything, and he will demand the players do the same.

No more 'Mister nice guy'.

• Like 2

With respect to Smith he always played and coached at a lower level, whereas Gerrard has always, since a young age, played with the very best, and of course, was one of the very best at what he did.  Gerrard will never be in awe of any of his players, be intimidated by their lifestyle or by their salary.   He is also not to make friends with them.

Without making him sound cold, i think he will view his players as tools to get the job done, with very little sentiment or need to be liked.

I don't think he would hesitate for a second to drop or sell someone who isn't good enough. And any arm around the shoulder he offers is purely a tactic to get the best out of the player.

And this is what we need and qualities that I think what the best managers possess.

Also, incidentally, qualities that successful CEO's have as demonstrated by Christian Purslow in his entirely pragmatic and dispassionate replacement of Smith.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Without making him sound cold, i think he will view his players as tools to get the job done, with very little sentiment or need to be liked.

Sentimentality does not seem to be part of his personality at all...or at least his on-the-job personality.

I’ve said it before so apologies for repeating myself but the was he has used the squad has impressed me. Different personal in each game and all 3 subs used to good effect in each. 

The improvement in Nakamba itself is worthy of praise, is there a single fan on here that wouldn’t have snapped the arm off any club offering our money back on the guy? (Whatever we paid £8m?) If he can keep up his current form I’m not sure I’d except double that. 

Again it’s a small sample size but he is really impressing me. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I think it will be fascinating to see which areas of the pitch he thinks need upgrading first. I think both full backs might be an area he wants to improve in. 

I agree ... personally I wouldn't be in a rush to bomb Matty cash out of the club ...but I can see it happening.

50 minutes ago, av1 said:

I’ve said it before so apologies for repeating myself but the was he has used the squad has impressed me. Different personal in each game and all 3 subs used to good effect in each. 

The improvement in Nakamba itself is worthy of praise, is there a single fan on here that wouldn’t have snapped the arm off any club offering our money back on the guy? (Whatever we paid £8m?) If he can keep up his current form I’m not sure I’d except double that. 

Again it’s a small sample size but he is really impressing me. 

I think we paid £11m for him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

I agree ... personally I wouldn't be in a rush to bomb Matty cash out of the club ...but I can see it happening.

I cannot see upgrading Cash being a priority. 

I have thought about how Gerrard would handle the Argentinian situation. Where Dean said he didn’t want them to travel and the next minute they’re posting pics on the plane. Wonder whether that would play out the same.

17 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I cannot see upgrading Cash being a priority. 

I have thought about how Gerrard would handle the Argentinian situation. Where Dean said he didn’t want them to travel and the next minute they’re posting pics on the plane. Wonder whether that would play out the same.

I can't see any reason at all why that would be different. Clubs release players for international duties - who the manager of the club is doesn't really enter into it 

• Like 1

I feel like ‘things’ are heading towards a more elite level now that we have someone that has been there themselves. It certainly feels different.

I hope the players continue to have an appetite for learning and trying different things. I also hope they react well to a bit of discipline rather than taking it the wrong way. 

I’m keen to see what Gerrard does in the transfer window, particularly whether or not he goes after someone that he has managed previously. In my view I think we still lack a bit of quality in a couple of areas and this is apparent by the amount of mistakes we make in each game. 

• Like 3

Â