Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Two games two wins, getting us up the table. Most the teams below us are poor with Everton and Leicester probably the only exceptions.

Mid week against Citeh is a free hit,  they way they're playing right now, if we get a point out of the game it's a bonus. Them, Plop and Chelsea are streets ahead so far this season. 

With Gerrard, you can see how he has us set up, midfield has improved massively in terms of work rate and shape. Very early days but, encouraging signs so far.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, allani said:

I love the way that Emi looks so pi55ed off about conceding at the end and that SG and he are clearly talking about things that could be done better.  Shows that SG is thinking about the way we are playing and not just relying on motivating players and getting them fired up.  Using ours brain not just ours heart.

Notice the Palace fans sticking around just to give him some stick  at the end

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Super John the happiest kid in the playground... lol

Almost ran over wanting his handshake and hug like " Did you see what I did dad, I was brilliant! " , ends up getting 2, one at the beginning and one at the end, and couldn't stop smiling.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Only 2 games in so a very small sample size of course, but the one criticism some of our friends from Scotland had with him was his in game management, lack of substitutions etc. 

In the two games so far he has used all 6 substitutions available to him and all to very good effect. 

That 45mins yesterday was very good indeed, if that is a sign of what is to come it’s very encouraging. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Only 2 games in so a very small sample size of course, but the one criticism some of our friends from Scotland had with him was his in game management, lack of substitutions etc. 

In the two games so far he has used all 6 substitutions available to him and all to very good effect. 

That 45mins yesterday was very good indeed, if that is a sign of what is to come it’s very encouraging. 

Maybe he just didn't have the squad depth at Rangers to have the confidence in his subs. Just speculating.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Maybe he just didn't have the squad depth at Rangers to have the confidence in his subs. Just speculating.

Possibly mate, I don’t watch the SPL so couldn’t answer that. His in game management and rotation of the squad certainly doesn’t appear to be a weakness like the visiting posters suggested. 

Again, very small sample size. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

This could be right. The Rangers fans also said he didn't really use their youth players, but in his interview yesterday he specifically mentioned the wealth of youth talent we have. Different club, different resources. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Substitutions. That’s twice in two games he’s made the right subs at the right times and both times it’s heavily influenced the game. We scored the second goal through fine play from El Ghazi and Buendia. 

We’ve got a decent enough squad now even if the first XI aren’t much better than last year (if at all). We need to use our subs to change games, introduce fresh legs because the quality on the bench is arguably the same as on the field. You could argue Sanson, Ings, Buendia etc. should be starting.

Smith never got this aspect of management right. It used to do my f***** head in. Substitutions are a big part of management and one may even argue had Smith been more proactive in this area, he’d still have a job. I think it was the Wolves game where he decided to leave Ings and Watkins on up top when Podence was dominating our midfield. It’s small things like that really make a difference. 

Also - we've now got some variety on the bench rather than just the same style of player but with fresh legs.

• Like 3

Dont forget that in the SPL if he was not playing against Celtic then he probably didnt actually need any subs at all.I mean I cant see Rangers having to bring on 1/2 subs to change the game against P.Thistle,Montrose,Kilmarnock,St Johnstone,St Mirren,etc etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Living in Glasgow my conversations with Rangers fans are now a lot more interesting. Now they’ve got their new manager in I think things have started to settle after an unexpected few weeks for them. I spoke to a few lads in a pub after Rangers cup loss last week and one offered me his £400 6 foot Gerrard cutout lol 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Substitutions. That’s twice in two games he’s made the right subs at the right times and both times it’s heavily influenced the game. We scored the second goal through fine play from El Ghazi and Buendia. 

We’ve got a decent enough squad now even if the first XI aren’t much better than last year (if at all). We need to use our subs to change games, introduce fresh legs because the quality on the bench is arguably the same as on the field. You could argue Sanson, Ings, Buendia etc. should be starting.

Smith never got this aspect of management right. It used to do my f***** head in. Substitutions are a big part of management and one may even argue had Smith been more proactive in this area, he’d still have a job. I think it was the Wolves game where he decided to leave Ings and Watkins on up top when Podence was dominating our midfield. It’s small things like that really make a difference. 

He made the subs, right about the time I started getting worried and wanted to have a moan. lol

Did make me feel a bit of a fickle, impatient prick though. lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Living in Glasgow my conversations with Rangers fans are now a lot more interesting. Now they’ve got their new manager in I think things have started to settle after an unexpected few weeks for them. I spoke to a few lads in a pub after Rangers cup loss last week and one offered me his £400 6 foot Gerrard cutout lol 

Not sure what's more disturbing, the cutouts, or the fact that they cost 400 quid!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â