Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The extremes will never go away mate. Couple of defeats and a lot of the same fans getting over excited will probably be the same ones attacking him. 

But you have to admit there definitely seems to be a bit of a feel good factor slowly returning to the club.   Get a good performance / result against Palace and the players will be going in to the city game with a lot of belief. 

You’re definitely right about the feel good factor and I really enjoyed the win on Saturday. I also agree that those building him up like a hero will be the first to take him down after a couple of iffy results/performances. I’m fully behind him but maybe don’t feel the need to get carried away just yet. I also won’t knock him if we falter at various points.  

I tell you what tho, if he can take even a point off City next week or Liverpool at Anfield, even I will be waxing lyrical.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

We will obviously lose some too under Gerrard. But if he gets us playing with better pressing and passing and defensive shape over the next few games I'll be happy. No manager is a miracle worker, but it's ok to be a little excited no?

Agree.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That is so true. We were all buzzing after Old Trafford! 

I will say second half of the season was still in a lot of peoples minds though. You’d like to think if we lose 2-3 games during the tough run most fans will stay behind Gerrard and the team. 

You’d like to think that but sadly we know the truth!

• Like 1

I'm absolutely determined to remain rational and objective, but will also make the following claims:

1 - We've just had our Roberto Mancini moment

2 - Gerrard will be the first English manager to lead a team to a Premier title. Hopefully us, but if not he'll do it somewhere.

UTV.

I just put a slightly tongue-in-cheek post in Other Football, comparing Gerrard's current situation with that of Xavi at Barça. They're both saying the same sort of things, too. 

37 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

I'm absolutely determined to remain rational and objective, but will also make the following claims:

1 - We've just had our Roberto Mancini moment

2 - Gerrard will be the first English manager to lead a team to a Premier title. Hopefully us, but if not he'll do it somewhere.

UTV.

Our last manager born in the Merseyside is arguably our most successful manager ever  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

You’d like to think that but sadly we know the truth!

I just replied to this but now I cant find the post and also forget what I said.

I did mention that now I'm on a laptop I can see your avatar is the Night King in a Villa Shirt and love that.

I think I'm losing it.

• Like 1

What was his reception like when he walked out of the tunnel for the first time? Did the entire stadium applaud? Was there an actual announcement for when he was walking out?  Can’t quite tell how good it was from the Gerrard Cam footage…

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

What was his reception like when he walked out of the tunnel for the first time? Did the entire stadium applaud? Was there an actual announcement for when he was walking out?  Can’t quite tell how good it was from the Gerrard Cam footage…

Was decent and was also an announcement. I filmed it but footage too large to post.

edit: just watched it back and it wasn’t the largest of cheers to be honest.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Think we need to calm down. Our December fixtures are extremely tough, we desperately need something from the Palace game before we go into a run of City, Leicester and Liverpool in the space of 12 days, with Chelsea on Boxing Day. I’m cautiously optimistic about how he will do for us long term and I do like him but he’s not a miracle worker, Rangers were more than capable of dodgy results and performances under him.

So many people, mostly on social media, acting a bit starstruck it’s embarrassing and small time. If we finish December no lower than we are now, he’s doing well. If we’re higher, I’ll be v impressed. If he gets us playing consistently good football, I’ll be delighted and might then buy into a bit more of the hype. I’ve never known the fan base get so giddy over a manager. 

I'd fancy getting something from Leicester game tbh 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was tipped to make it until I discovered Ketchup. 

yeah me too. Like so many promising footballers before me it was downhill when i started hitting the bottle (on the underside with a firm slap at a 45 degree angle to the plate)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The extremes will never go away mate. Couple of defeats and a lot of the same fans getting over excited will probably be the same ones attacking him. 

But you have to admit there definitely seems to be a bit of a feel good factor slowly returning to the club.   Get a good performance / result against Palace and the players will be going in to the city game with a lot of belief. 

I'm already dreading the posts if/when we lose to Liverpool. lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm already dreading the posts if/when we lose to Liverpool. lol

I'm sure they will be well-reasoned, humble and fair.

Edited by osmark86
  • Haha 2

Â