Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

57 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Something I've noticed with Gerrard when he speaks about his playing career is how much he rates Benitez in hindsight, despite not having a good personal relationship with him. I think he's realised that some players need to be pushed and criticised to get the best out of them.

You should watch on YouTube the Gary Neville Overlap interview with Jamie Carragher who says the same thing about Benitez and looking back at his (Jamie) and Benitez working together.

7 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Why does it have to be either? It could just be people who have lost that extra bit of drive. It doesn't have to be personal either way or vindictive. 

Shades of grey. 

True.

Similarly.to how sometimes good players will actually go " stale " at a club, and just need new surroundings or impetus etc.

Doesn't have to exclusively be Dean.

I think it was a combo of both, and other things.

Maybe his " style " just couldn't get it out of them anymore, and vice versa. Everyone might have just needed new drive and impetus.

Either way, it's only one game.

Palace will be a very tough test.

We could all be back here moaning about the walls crashing down in quick time 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

A few folks mentioned it when Gerrard was made Head Coach, like him or not he's a winner.

That winning mentality will feed into the players (hopefully), we have a good squad and we can compete. Gerrard gives us a little extra now...

I was always indifferent to him as a player although I acknowledge he was World Class, that is going to have a positive effect on the players.

Three points was massive today, confidence is so important for the next game.

Loving the Gerrard Fist Pumps, oh err!

giphy.gif

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A few folks mentioned it when Gerrard was made Head Coach, like him or not he's a winner.

That winning mentality will feed into the players (hopefully), we have a good squad and we can compete. Gerrard gives us a little extra now...

I was always indifferent to him as a player although I acknowledge he was World Class, that is going to have a positive effect on the players.

Three points was massive today, confidence is so important for the next game.

Loving the Gerrard Fist Pumps, oh err!

giphy.gif

Most elite sportsman are winners, doesn't make them good coaches.

It was a positive reaction from the squad, the next few games will tell us whether the club is back on track.

Not convinced at all today but then I didn’t expect to be he only had half the players for a couple of days and we had out most important midfielder out too.

3 points is what mattered and it’s what will matter next Saturday too.

if we can managed to win against palace we will be hanging off the coat tails of mid table and have given some belief to the players before playing, city, Liverpool and Leicester.

I think after those games have passed we can judge the initial work the manager and coaches have done

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Me for one couldn't be happier with the manager. Think he has a really high ceiling. 

None of us know how high his ceiling is but all the signs suggest it could be very high. This is a REALLY EXCITING time to be a Villa fan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villanmac said:

Absolute shite reception for a new manager. Pretty shite atmosphere full stop. After the sacking of Deano it seems like our fans need some winning over, hopefully today went someway towards it 

Gerrard said he didn't want a wicked reception, he said he just wanted to come out and get the game done. I have to admire him for the way he wanted that part of the game to be played and our fans were equally resectful of his ask.

Imagine if Villapark had gone all in and made Gerrard to be a titan and then he got something wrong tactically because of the pressure, I preferred it the way it were especially if it brings us wins.

I also honestly felt it were best when the goals came and how much stored energy the fans had saved up all game, they got to see from Gerrard as he couldn't contain himself any longer, was all timed to perfection.

Steven Gerrard thanks for the win but your still a rocket polisher 😉

It's crazy how we used to give him so much grief and now he's here Coaching and managing Villa. It used to hurt bad when Gerrard scored against us, but now I can look at it with ease. 

I think Gerrard will do very good here and if he does manage to be the man to take us to Europe once more, then he'd deserve all the praise he earns. I did like how he said we will do it one step at a time and there's no mission at the moment apart from making this team solid and go from there.

I like how Gerrard talks to the media, he comes across as someone who speak his mind, tells the truth and doesn't bullcrap around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villanmac said:

Absolute shite reception for a new manager. Pretty shite atmosphere full stop. After the sacking of Deano it seems like our fans need some winning over, hopefully today went someway towards it 

I think the atmosphere was reflective of how it has been all season- tense and nervy. We haven’t been playing well and there is a fear of getting sucked into another relegation battle. I wouldn’t say we only sing when we’re winning but the sheer relief when we score/win is palpable. To be fair, judging by his post match comments, I think he got it.

• Like 1

All about the result yesterday, as we had to stop the rot. He did that.

Now, it’ll be interesting to see how Gerrard and the team react when we go a goal down because under Smith, we never really reacted well to it. Under Smith, we seemed to have a plan A from the start, but would then struggle to think of a useful plan B.

When things are going wrong, the better coaches/managers see it and change something in order to turn the result around. We’ve been dreadful for a while at doing this, so will be interesting to see when it happens.

I watched the replay of the game, was expecting it to be a smash and grab going by some of the reactions, yet whilst it wasn't a brilliant performance, but I thought we were the better team and well deserving of the win, we always looked the most likely to score and our attacking players looked the most likely to make something happen, Brighton on the other hand had more possession but it wasn't as if they had that possession because we couldn't get near them and they were passing the ball around us, they had a lot of the ball but in undangerous areas, allowing a team to do that can sometimes be a tactic.

A good start for the new coaching set-up and something to build upon.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, useless said:

I watched the replay of the game, was expecting it to be a smash and grab going by some of the reactions, yet whilst it wasn't a brilliant performance, but I thought we were the better team and well deserving of the win, we always looked the most likely to score and our attacking players looked the most likely to make something happen, Brighton on the other hand had more possession but it wasn't as if they had that possession because we couldn't get near them and they were passing the ball around us, they had a lot of the ball but in undangerous areas, allowing a team to do that can sometimes be a tactic.

A good start for the new coaching set-up and something to build upon.

This is exactly it. Brighton play that way against everybody - even the top teams. You can only try to beat what is in front of you and I think we set up in a way to counter what they were doing, the subs adding to that also. Took until the end of the match but after 80+ minutes we managed to get it in the net. Brighton are a good side and beating them wasn’t down to luck.

• Like 3

Â