Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Wow, the mood in here has been lifted somewhat!

Feeling a lot more unified now.  I'm looking forward to getting home and watching this later.

I'm liking the talk of this steely demeanor, seem to remember another scouse manager for us who had that!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, the mood in here has been lifted somewhat!

Feeling a lot more unified now.  I'm looking forward to getting home and watching this later.

I'm liking the talk of this steely demeanor, seem to remember another scouse manager for us who had that!

Following the initial reaction to the news, there aren't going to be many who'll not give him a chance tbf - it'd very unreasonable to act that way - so people are quietly waiting in anticipation of the Brighton game. It was definitely an encouraging interview, though. 

What a first interview. He is so focused and determined. I love the fact that he said we will be aggressive which is something we have really lacked in recent times. I also love the fact that he says there are no excuses for underperforming.

If you are still not sure about Gerrard then please go and watch the interview. I am so excited now. Roll on Saturday!

• Like 1

just seen the video of him walking out to his first training session. big cheesy grin on his face. where was that cold stare from his interview? i bloody knew we'd been sold a lie...gerrard out

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just seen the video of him walking out to his first training session. big cheesy grin on his face. where was that cold stare from his interview? i bloody knew we'd been sold a lie...gerrard out

Where can I find that please?

45 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Absolute winner. The more I hear from him the better he comes across. 

Wouldn't mind him growing the beard back either. I think the Mrs would like him more and stop crying over Dean. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's so obvious from reading the comments who was dead set against this appointment from the start. There's always a "but" attached to any praise due. 

It’s fair though because he hasn’t done anything yet.  If somebody who was dead set against is suddenly pro it would be disingenuous wouldn’t it.  Doesn’t mean people like that (including me) don’t eventually come around, it will just take time and more evidence on the pitch.

• Like 2

I like that he seems to be without ego and to be honest that would not have been my perception of Gerrard, especially as a player. He seems to have a good handle at his strengths, weaknesses and what’s he’s learning himself as he goes on. Unlike Howe, who from the Newcastle clip i seen the other day is very involved in training, Gerrard elects to take a watching brief. Not arrogant enough to assume that because he was a world class player that he can put on sessions. Good sign of a mans confidence when he can task delegate without diluting the message he himself is trying to get through.

Just now, nick76 said:

It’s fair though because he hasn’t done anything yet.  If somebody who was dead set against is suddenly pro it would be disingenuous wouldn’t it.  Doesn’t mean people like that (including me) don’t eventually come around, it will just take time and more evidence on the pitch.

Saying things along the lines of 'nice praise for Smith, but I am sure he will have been briefed to say it' feels laden with bias to me. That has nothing to do with answering the question of whether he will be successful here. 

Â