Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Purslow has worked wonders to get a manager looking at his next league title and giving up champions league football.

I'd say gerrard would have run down to Birmingham to get the job. It's miles better than he could have expected given the experience he has and the level he was coaching at. Rangers are in a two horse league that's league 1 level. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Purslow has worked wonders to get a manager looking at his next league title and giving up champions league football.

To secure all his backroom staff too, is a coup.

The timing of mid season was even more challenging....well done to him.

This will be a watershed moment.

Gerrard obviously wanted to come down south sooner rather than later. I think he had tensions with the board in regards to further signings and the Villa job was too tempting to turn down. Celtic could well win the league this year so his stock is at its highest. Had he waited longer he might have ended up with a Championship job.

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im looking forward to seeing if some of the old "untouchables" get a kick up the a*** now, and if they dont do the business, actually getting dropped.

I am expecting a huge mental shift, won't happen day1, but it will creep in.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am looking forward to see our players get their mojo's back.

I think they lost their collective mojo because Dean had lost his. Not because he didn’t care, of course he cared, but I think he lost his clarity of vision. I don’t think he really knew his best team or formation, a sort of fog of war. This of course affected the players and would explain the increasing number of brain farts on the pitch. It could probably explain why we came back so much better after lock down. Games come so quickly that managers just don’t have time to step back and look at what’s going wrong. The Covid lockdown gave Dean that chance and it’s great credit to him that he took it. 

Gerrard will pretty much know exactly what he wants and transmit that to the players. You often see players that look lazy or disinterested but that’s not always the case, they sometimes just aren’t sure what to do. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kevpants said:

I'm depressed about this because I'm now older than the Villa manager for the first time. I was just about coming to terms with being older than all of the players, this is a new low.

I actually had this thought myself and looked up his date of birth, thankfully I'm safe, but only by a matter of months. Condolences my friend.

21 minutes ago, jim said:

Are they whinging man babies as well?

Get over it, Smith has gone. His performance clearly wasn’t hitting the targets set by the board and they believe Gerrard is the man to meet them. Let’s get behind him.

Amazing lack of self awareness from a small group who did nothing but criticise the last manager for years over every little thing he did. 

I really hope Gerrard gets full support from the off. He deserves it and he deserves patience in the near future. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jim said:

Listening to a Rangers fan earlier. He was saying the pressure up there is huge and the expectation is to win every game. The crowd get restless at misplaced passes.

Stevie will be fine here and shows he can work under massive expectation.

Won the league without fans in the grounds ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Amazing lack of self awareness from a small group who did nothing but criticise the last manager for years over every little thing he did. 

I really hope Gerrard gets full support from the off. He deserves it and he deserves patience in the near future. 

Oh man, another year of this but with roles reversed! 🤣 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I don't think we will see massive changes overall, gerrard in many ways does not seem that different from Smith, one change in style that I do expect, which was one of my greatest annoyance under Smith, is that we tried, at times, to play passing football but our players were a million miles away from each other, all midfielders except luiz were up with the striker and our wingers/fullbacks hugging the side lines, I expect us to be much more narrow under Gerrard. Also I am expecting Buendia to be turned into a left winger and play in a similar role as to Coutinho did at liverpool. As in who starts in our first XI, I don't expect many changes (not as we have that many choices to make).

Gerrard was not my first choice but wish him well and hope he works out, should at the very least be interesting ;)

but in some ways, he is very different from Dean...Hence the appointment.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

The big difference I think we’ll see is Gerrard playing narrower, more compact, and pressing more aggressively.

Thing is, though, that usually means *more* injuries as the season wears on. The lack of depth in certain slots is going to be an issue. I hope we have a good January window, and I hope fans are patient with him if the injury crisis continues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

Video on Michael Beale here: 

I like how he targets winning the ball back in the middle third.   His reasoning makes sense, but more important, it means we're likely to have more players crowding that area and hopefully stopping other teams from playing through us so easily when we lose the ball in attack.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Precisely.

Â