Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

£60 million for January supposedly, which you can easily see being true due to the Grealish profit that massively pushed back our FFP limits.

Ignore that, just a random faux ITK twitter account. I feel he may get a tad more if needed.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I like the coaching ticket he brings with him. The formation he used at Rangers fits our squad very well which is good. Also he has an aura about him which hopefully can bring the best out of players. That will also be of help in growing the club's revenue and also in attracting new players to Villa. 

It also cements that NSWE are going to continue to heavily invest in the squad

What is his preferred formation

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree, this is a meaningless thing that fans demand of each other, vaguely cult-like.

IMO you are giving sufficient 'backing to the manager' if you don't boo him or the team at games, dunno what else anyone needs to do really. Certainly demanding that people stop being skeptical of an appointment they feel skeptical of is not going to work; the way skepticism disappears is if results start coming on the pitch, and when that happens nobody will need to be going around demanding 'backing to the manager'.

I agree with this entirely. People are entitled to be as skeptical as they like, or indeed go as far as to wish the new manager of Aston Villa failure before we have even kicked a ball during his reign. 

I’m entitled to think this is what differentiates between a ‘fan’ and a ‘supporter’, two words I don’t personally believe are interchangeable. 

I’ll continue to support Steven Gerrard up until the point I feel he can take us no further. At that point, I’ll still wish him all the success in the world on the pitch, because it’s good for Aston Villa. Other ‘fans’ are entitled to do whatever they wish from the off. 

Edit - I should say my opinion above applies almost exclusively to those ‘fans’ wishing him failure. Critical thinking on the other hand is essential. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sign wasn't the issue. It was the whole attitude that night. We got smashed by Hodgson Liverpool and didn't lay a glove on them live on Sky then he treated it as his testimonial

This...  It wasn't just the sign...  Lots of disrespect from the man toward us that night.  

• "Forgetting" to go into the away dressing room after the game and walking into the Liverpool dressing room instead
  • Cheering/waving to the Liverpool fans when we were getting our teeth kicked in
  • Telling the press in his after match interview that he didn't mind losing to Liverpool "because [he] likes Liverpool"

TBH, I find it hard for any professional today to replicate Houllier's behavior that night, regardless of their connection to the other club.  

• Like 3

Honestly, I am surprised.

If only because we haven't gone for more experience, I think sacking dean makes sense if their was a manager we KNOW would improve us, was available, and wanted the job.

This for me is a gamble, at least right now, and it just makes me question the sacking, yes we were on a bad run and looked poor, but we know absolutely nothing of what Gerrard is capable of as a manager in a top league.

Good luck to him, but thank **** McAllister is coming with him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

This...  It wasn't just the sign...  Lots of disrespect from the man toward us that night.  

• "Forgetting" to go into the away dressing room after the game and walking into the Liverpool dressing room instead
  • Cheering/waving to the Liverpool fans when we were getting our teeth kicked in
  • Telling the press in his after match interview that he didn't mind losing to Liverpool "because [he] likes Liverpool"

TBH, I find it hard for any professional today to replicate Houllier's behavior that night, regardless of their connection to the other club.  

Cant see Gerrard making any of these mistakes. They’ll probably be a little acknowledgement to the fans that will no doubt cheers his name but that’s as far as it will go I’m sure.   He’s a very serious moody looking guy. Cant see him getting all emotional.

1 minute ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Honestly, I am surprised.

If only because we haven't gone for more experience, I think sacking dean makes sense if their was a manager we KNOW would improve us, was available, and wanted the job.

This for me is a gamble, at least right now, and it just makes me question the sacking, yes we were on a bad run and looked poor, but we know absolutely nothing of what Gerrard is capable of as a manager in a top league.

Good luck to him, but thank **** McAllister is coming with him

This is where I'm at with it. Slightly perplexed but will give my full backing. 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree, this is a meaningless thing that fans demand of each other, vaguely cult-like.

IMO you are giving sufficient 'backing to the manager' if you don't boo him or the team at games, dunno what else anyone needs to do really. Certainly demanding that people stop being skeptical of an appointment they feel skeptical of is not going to work; the way skepticism disappears is if results start coming on the pitch, and when that happens nobody will need to be going around demanding 'backing to the manager'.

Exactly how I see it. The same thing happens every time. I guess we fans are often like a cult. I remember writing this after people didn't like me not welcoming Steve Bruce's appointment, at the time.

On 12/10/2016 at 16:29, blandy said:

I can only speak for myself, and yes, I am just thick.

So, being something of a retard, I had to ask, because I didn't understand what constituted the grounds for people saying essentially "get behind him or eff off" on this messageboard. For example, is hoping he does well as manager but not specifically saying it on here a failure to "get behind him"? or is that OK? what exactly was Stefan (and others) complaining about or advocating I and other do? and what is it that I'm not supposed to do if I want to remain in the correct aspect with regard to Spudface, sorry, his excellency?

Can I say that I've never liked the bloke? is that a bad thing? or have I to put aside my dislike of him and type something such as "Potato head is glorious" every third post? and at what point am I allowed to stop?

What are the rules of this get behind him regime? Is it going to involve little models of him, it is isn't it? I can see the way it's going. Tiny little potato head figurines and sort of altars of King Edwardy worship.

Good luck spudface.

But unlike with Steve Bruce, where I definitely didn't think he was the right choice, this time I'm still kind of bemused really. It's a heck of a gamble and it feels like Purslow has basically been wanting Gerrard for 6 months or so, and was essentially waiting for the chance to get him. I massively hope he is a success here. He'll have a decent chance of it, I'd guess because he will be given plenty of backing from the board and from the supporters and players, too.

We're all just humans with opinions and doubts and fears and hopes and ambitions for our team. We've got a new manager with many qualities that are needed and some aspects where there is reason for a little scepticism. Good luck and welcome Steven Gerrard. UTV.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

and you are still talking about it. Time to let it go I'd say. Gerrard won't be doing that, its a mute point 

Â