The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Certainly think that simply being Gerrard will possibly impress any potential signings into signing. Having a football legend like that on the opposite side of the table, sometimes swings a signing that might not have made it over the line otherwise.

Maybe in some cases. If you’re 20 years old though Gerrard’s best days were when you were 4. That’s not knocking him of course, just always surprises me how few footballers know anything before their time! 

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I mean, that's just made up nonsense. 

The moaning about Smith and wanting him gone, was that he wasn't going to get this squad challenging for European places, either this year or next. So surely the point of replacing him is the next one will do that. The question is, given his record so far, if Gerrard is that man and therefore was it worth getting rid of Dean. 

Nothing about demanding a world class manager. 

I thought we got rid of Smith cause he was having a poor 2021 and we were on a 5 loss run, with flat dire football which he wasn't looking at turning around. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

I found this post refreshing.

I've been on a similar journey, researching all the information I could find on Gerrard since he finished his playing career which was very impressive.

I have to say that I don't recognise the SG that some of you guys are portraying. Have you bothered to read the same info and articles and watched the videos, or have you immediately decided that he's rubbish and that no amount of information will change your minds?

Another aspect that needs discussing as "don't-do-it-doug" has briefly mentioned is the coaching ability of Beale. If he's as outstandingly good as people who know him and have worked with him say, then he adds to Gerrard's management skills immeasurably. I also like Gary Mac both as a person and football man.

This thread has become a less pleasant and interesting place to be this morning as the tone becomes angrier. We still don't know whether Gerrard is the main target or whether NSWE/Purslow are happy to allow the media to run with his name while they go on silently about their business.

I'm also not advocating Gerrard as our next manager, but all the reading and watching I've done over the last couple of days has shown me why he may be of interest to AVFC. There's no real mention of my own favourite (Potter) and this doesn't particularly surprise me due to his lower profile, but there are some good prospects on what we believe to be the shortlist, so I'm happy to wait for a final decision to be made.

Is anyone saying he’s rubbish, though? I think most people are just concerned about the lack of track record in a top league (ie England, Spain, Italy, Germany).

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I hope Villa is where he establishes himself as an elite manager. We all want the same thing ultimately.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thanks for the response.

I agree it doesn’t work like that but imagine you had foresight would you have traded Smith for Gerrard?

Probably not, but between the list of managers who are achievable vs the list of managers named here, there's a pretty small overlap.

2 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

He does indeed and has his private jet available, so would of thought he'd be flown down.  

with the perfectly adequate train line between glasgow and london i'm quite happy we didn't add to the climate crisis for the sake of cutting gerrards travel time down by a couple of hours

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Is anyone saying he’s rubbish, though? I think most people are just concerned about the lack of track record in a top league (ie England, Spain, Italy, Germany).

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I hope Villa is where he establishes himself as an elite manager. We all want the same thing ultimately.

This is me precisely - I have every hope he will do brilliantly but have just said it’s a gamble. As ddid’s post said there is a lot to like aboht his interviews etc so I’m optimistic but obviously still cautious. No point letting football upset you though so as of the appointment I’ll throw myself into it 100%.

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And that’s coming from a Smith admirer. It just felt like i never knew which Villa team would turn up even when we were at full strength.  My biggest concern about sacking Smith is that maybe the players are just not as good as we all think and the manager got the blame for that.  We’ll soon find out in a few months.

Good point about the players.  I think there was overexpectation of the talent we have and we are definitely underachieving at the moment but we arent as good as some think.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Don’t you think backing a manager, as a supporter, is a bit different from constantly trying to undermine him? “Showing our true colours”? What, claret and blue?

FWIW, I’m happy to look forward and would 100% back Gerrard if he joined, but as long as people talk down Smith’s record I’ll defend it.

I don't think that a fan who doesn't rate Smith and seeks to criticize him at every turn is any worse than a Villa fan than someone who defends him from any and all forms of criticisms including the valid ones. They're both fans either way and both want the best for the club. They both just disagree on how to get the best.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

True but why should we be his guinea pig, especially the precarious position we're in ? That's what worries me mostly.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

I warned about DS going for that very reason. The same people who purchased those players in the summer would be choosing our next manager .

Same here. I think the majority will agree that although any manager is a guesstimate, Gerrard does post an increased a risk over Dean Smith.(The business risk being relegation).

As soon as the decision was made to remove Smith, they should have kept him in charge until a suitable replacement was available (perhaps in the summer). Unless of course Purslow made this move with Gerrard in mind all along.