The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

The whole he’ll leave us for Liverpool at the first chance thing should be the least of anyones concerns, there isn’t a manager that wouldn’t do the same.

The whole of my concern is that its a huge gamble based on very little evidence. The risk/reward to sacking Smith for Gerrard is is so lopsided for me, it’s like packing in your job to buy a load of lottery tickets.

1 minute ago, penguin said:

The whole he’ll leave us for Liverpool at the first chance thing should be the least of anyones concerns, there isn’t a manager that wouldn’t do the same.

The whole of my concern is that its a huge gamble based on very little evidence. The risk/reward to sacking Smith for Gerrard is is so lopsided for me, it’s like packing in your job to buy a load of lottery tickets.

In fairness the Liverpool link I think is the least bit concerning for a lot of people. 

I wonder how many of the people who thought it was time for Smith to go would’ve had a different view if they knew Gerrard would be his replacement?  

I know the hardcore on here of Smith Out wouldn’t have changed their minds and if they did wouldn’t admit it but I reckon a lot of fans that were on the fence would be having doubts right about now re Smith leaving given his replacement is looking like Gerrard.  

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not sure if he's the right man for the job and I am desperately trying (and failing miserably, probably) to be sucked into that box. However having done a deep dive on him yesterday, I am intrigued by a few things.

His coaching team, in particular Beale, seem like impressive individuals. I always liked Gary Mac when he was here too, and he would come back with another 10 years experience behind him.

I like the style of football they employ. 3 man midfield, dynamic front 3 built around a focal point, cutting off passing lanes and pressing the defensive line. There's continuity there which I feel is important and I think it suits our squad. He has developed it over a number of years, sticking by his principles in the face of adversity culminating in the Invincibles season and their relative competitiveness in Europe. 

He speaks a good game, I like the cut of his job. He doesn't throw players under the bus as others have suggested, but he is willing to call a spade a spade. 

The aforementioned Invincibles season. I don't think you can underestimate the mentality it takes to go an entire 38 game season unbeaten, even in Scotland. It is a remarkable achievement, even if people seem desperate to diminish it. 

That's all I have for now. I would urge you to go and watch some of his interviews, read about him and his team, immerse yourself. I think he has been poorly represented in this thread. 

100% agree

Just now, meregreen said:

If he reads some of these posts and decides to not come I’ll understand that. If he reads them and says **** it I’m going there to do a job at a club that has ambition to match mine, he’ll do for me.

If he is reading the posts on here to make his opinion then I would be definitely more worried about the appointment 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The gamble is that Gerrard hasn't experience at this level and us unproven i.e. we do not know. With Deano we have had a year of very poor results and we are 11 games into a season and in relegation form. 

We didn't have a year of  bad results without reasons , we had a COVID hit squad , then we hit some form beating , Chelsea , Spurs . We then lost JG and brought new players in that were not fit and had some more.poor form. 

Rangers play one team in that league and have more or less a walk over with the others , they have won one championship. Smith bringing us up from the championship was a miracle compared to Gerrard and the SPL win , which took how many seasons?  

Edited by tinker
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

The worst league form for an entire calendar year suggests his opinion is relatively well founded. 

Now *this* is revisionism.

Here’s the actual table for 2021 calendar year: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/jahrestabelle/wettbewerb/GB1

We’re 14th.

club Matches W D L Goals +/- Pts
1 Manchester City Man City 35 27 2 6 84:26 58 83
2 Chelsea FC Chelsea 33 20 7 6 54:22 32 67
3 West Ham United West Ham 33 20 5 8 62:39 23 65
4 Manchester United Man Utd 34 17 10 7 61:38 23 61
5 Arsenal FC Arsenal 33 18 7 8 52:33 19 61
6 Liverpool FC Liverpool 33 17 7 9 62:33 29 58
7 Leicester City Leicester 33 15 7 11 55:48 7 52
8 Tottenham Hotspur Spurs 34 16 4 14 51:46 5 52
9 Leeds United Leeds 33 13 8 12 43:42 1 47
10 Brighton & Hove Albion Brighton 33 11 12 10 34:33 1 45
11 Everton FC Everton 34 12 9 13 37:45 -8 45
12 Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolves 33 11 7 15 32:43 -11 40
13 Crystal Palace Crystal Palace 33 10 10 13 36:51 -15 40
14 Aston Villa Aston Villa 35 11 6 18 41:52 -11 39
15 Burnley FC Burnley 34 7 10 17 35:52 -17 31
16 Newcastle United Newcastle 34 7 10 17 41:62 -21 31
17 Southampton FC Southampton 33 8 7 18 32:61 -29 31
18 Sheffield United Sheff Utd 22 7 0 15 12:36 -24 21
19 West Bromwich Albion West Brom 22 4 6 12 24:41 -17 18
20 Fulham FC Fulham 23 3 8 12 14:30 -16 17
21 Brentford FC Brentford 11 3 3 5 13:14 -1 12
22 Watford FC Watford 11 3 1 7 12:19 -7 10
23 Norwich City Norwich 11 1 2 8 5:26 -21 5

But carry on lecturing people about revisionism 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

If Gerrard had proven himself or shown significant potential as a tactician, coach or manager, there would be very little argument.

The simple fact is he has proven none of the above and that alone is what makes this a huge risk, we need to take risk, however I'd hope for a more calculated risk.

Tim Sherwood had PL experience when we hired him...

Gerrard could be exceptional and if he's at villa, I hope he is, however there is very little evidence of that, and with our focus on statistical football now, I'd hope for a more imaginative hire.

I’m not a huge fan of the appointment, but I think he’s definitely shown significant potential. Arteta had never had a significant managers job in his career before Arsenal and look at how they’re doing now. Would you take him over Gerrard? I wouldn’t 

17 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

You think Favre wouldn't leave us for Liverpool if they offered him the role in 18 months time? 

Maybe, maybe not but he at least wouldn't have it as his main aim when he took the job, he hasn't stated that it is his "dream" and he won't have a tedious love in about taking that job the entire time with their sycophantic, overbearing presence in every media outlet.

Derby being exclusively referred to as Frank Lampard's Derby for his entire time there and the constant mentions of him moving to Chelsea was **** irritating for me and I don't even like Derby. And they weren't even in the same league!

Edited by YouUnastanFren

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

If he reads some of these posts and decides to not come I’ll understand that. If he reads them and says **** it I’m going there to do a job at a club that has ambition to match mine, he’ll do for me.

I'm not a fan of Gerrard in any way shape size or form. But I doubt he would be stupid enough to read sites such as this.

Seeing the Rangers fans worrying about losing their manager made me think how we haven't had that concern here since Graham Taylor part 1.

Also, if Gerrard were to leave us for Liverpool to replace Klopp then you'd have to assume he'd be leaving us in a better position. 

• Like 1