The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I reckon Lampard would be great for us done a great job at Derby and for me was a bit hard done by at the blues.Dont forget he had transfer bans there was it 1 or 2 seasons and still got them in the champions league signed players and didn't have much time to gel the squad.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

I reckon Lampard would be great for us done a great job at Derby and for me was a bit hard done by at the blues.Dont forget he had transfer bans there was it 1 or 2 seasons and still got them in the champions league signed players and didn't have much time to gel the squad.

I see you. You're just trying to make us feel good about Gerrard.

• Haha 2

Voted Potter.

Just my opinion. Knows the league, has a clear philosophy and has had Brighton playing structured, attacking football from the jump with a modest squad. Seems tactically very intelligent, could be a big success. I remember that first game he came to VP when Targett scored at the end, they went down to 10 and still we couldnt get the ball off them. Ive seen Brighton dominate a lot of the top teams without necessarily winning, but if that translated to Villa we can always be encouraged by performances. We havent been able to say that since before the Grealish injury.

I think Gerrard is the number one choice of Purslow though and seems more likely.

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

A source close to the club has told me the 2 top candidates are Allerdyce and Gerrard. So if we end up appointed Gerrard I hope everyone is very relieved and grateful it wasn’t big Sam.

If it’s Allardyce I think the pitch forks will be well and truly out for Purslow and Lange.

Can’t see it happening. Might as well bring back Bruce.

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There’s always that argument but once it’s done we need to accept it. My fear is fans will be ready with pitchforks to turn on him and Purslow as soon as we lose a game.

That’s my downside to his appointment if it happens. I like Gerrard and I actually think he’ll become a successful manager. The problem is the fans will be straight on his back. 

10 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

So who do you rate better out of the 2 ?.

I don't really rate either of them but with Lampard there is proof that he wasn't up to the task he was given in the PL. At least with Gerrard there is the chance he might surprise us.

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The average tenure for a PL manager is 1.8 years I believe. So 3 to 5 years would probably mean whoever it is has been a success. On the Gerrard debate, I understand why people question the value of any achievements in the SPL but being successful in Scotland doesn’t make him a bad manager. It may not be sufficient proof that he’s good but it certainly isn’t proof that he’s bad. The irrational dislike for the bloke is nothing to do with his ability, which is at worst unproven.

Finishing 15th and 16th as Brighton manager, for some reason appears to be excellent credentials to take us to the next level. I’m not denying that Brighton have play attractive football, but scoring goals seems to be a problem. Purslow releasing Dean for not showing continuous progression is hardly likely to view Potter’s record at Brighton as a reason to employ him. I don’t think he’s in the frame but he seems popular in here  

Whoever we get will be a risk, it always is but surely getting behind the bloke for a reasonable amount of time until we find out, is the only sensible way forward. How many people would have been overjoyed with Rogers when he was at Celtic? Moyes after he left Man U? All those years ago, had social media existed, I can only imagine the arrival of Ron Saunders from Man City  being greeted as pretty underwhelming. Let’s see eh, we don’t even know who it is yet. We might even get Klopp and leave Liverpool with a clear run to get Stevie G themselves. Although I’m not sure if I’d want the smiling idiot, can’t stand the bloke.  🤣

Saying you don’t want a manager, and saying you wont get behind them are two very different things, and I think that most would support SG if appointed. That’s not to say that I don't think it’s a massive gamble, and a wasted opportunity to appoint a proven manager.

No one is saying SG is a bad manager. Ok a minority maybe, but it’s mainly that he is unproven. That’s the point.

Whilst you make a good point about Purslow’s recruitment criteria, I cannot agree about Brighton and Potter. He has done a great job to build a squad snd culture there, and they impress pretty much every time I see them. They have been a quality striker away from being a top, top side for a year or so.

1 minute ago, picicata said:

I don't really rate either of them but with Lampard there is proof that he wasn't up to the task he was given in the PL. At least with Gerrard there is the chance he might surprise us.

To be fair to Frank Lampard (there’s a sentence I didn’t think I’d ever write) the Chelski machine has never been happy with any manager for more than a couple of seasons, as soon as they lose a couple of games then it’s off to the gulag with them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently it’s 4-3-3 high press with large use of full backs. Sounds like how everybody wants to play these day.  

So first game in charge, what’s his midfield 3 gonna be, and will they be good enough to win?

7 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

Well, Lucien Favre currently leading the poll by some margin. Whilst I'm keen, the way his last season went at Dortmund is a massive concern. With the quality of players he had, most pundits seemed to point to a poor mentality amongst the players that eventually resulted in him getting the sack.
Anywhoo, here's another vid:

Klopp nearly got them relegated as well. 

Well having spent the last couple of days listening to pundits trash our clubs ability to challenge to win things and dismiss our owners aims of getting to the top of football I suppose it is upto the owners to truly show that the ambition is not a pipe dream and get in a candidate that is capable to achieve their aim, and then back him properly. At the moment the pundits are right, they don't see Villa challenging for anything soon. Can't wait to see who they bring in.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Saying you don’t want a manager, and saying you wont get behind them are two very different things, and I think that most would support SG if appointed. That’s not to say that I don't think it’s a massive gamble, and a wasted opportunity to appoint a proven manager.

No one is saying SG is a bad manager. Ok a minority maybe, but it’s mainly that he is unproven. That’s the point.

Whilst you make a good point about Purslow’s recruitment criteria, I cannot agree about Brighton and Potter. He has done a great job to build a squad snd culture there, and they impress pretty much every time I see them. They have been a quality striker away from being a top, top side for a year or so.

That’s fair enough but quite a lot of people in here, me included, have the opinion that we are only a quality CM away from being a top side. If ever there was a sideways move it would be swapping Dean for Potter. 

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Roy Keane is a serial Winner.

Roy Keane is the Irish Robbie Savage. Just there to be outlandish and get hits on twitter/facetube. He's an absolutely rubbish manager, he's terrible record speaks for itself. Also he lasted about 5 minutes when he came here under lambert. Says it all.

• Like 1