The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I think people are probably reading too much into the Hasenhüttl thing, what I imagine happened is that someone asked The Athletic reporter (for he reports on Norwich and Hasenhüttl has also been linked with them) about him  and without thinking about it the reporter made an off hand comment about him coming to us and then realized what he'd said so backtracked and said instead that he'd come to us if offered the job, and even that was probably just his opinion. As far as I'm aware all this came from a podcast he did, wasn't an article or a tweet that he published and then took back or anything like that.

Edited by useless

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

@Zatman

Sorry, this is off topic but I don't know where to post it. Do Villa fans in Dublin ever meet up for games?

I believe Dublin lions used to run out of Murrays Bar and Buskers

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

I think people are probably reading too much into the Hasenhüttl thing, what I imagine happened is that someone asked The Athletic reporter (for he reports on Norwich and Hasenhüttl as also been linked with them) about  and without thinking about it he made an off hand comment about him coming to us and then realized what he'd said so backtracked and said instead that he'd come to us if offered the job, and even that was probably just his opinion. As far as I'm aware all this came from a podcast he did, wasn't an article or a tweet that he published and then took back or anything like that.

We'll see. Trying to order the shirt now but apparently they're out of umlauts!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

This is also a ridiculous comment unless you know exactly who the connections the Norwich reporter has are.

I know it won’t be hassenhuttl that's for sure  - fact ! but why bother - if Gerrard wants the job it’s his as you will see - and it is clearly believed he wants the job but it’s not worth the hassle posting anything  more - will stay off site until the new manager is revealed - same thing with grealish people were told he was leaving but got dogs abuse  because people didn’t  like it . 
I would prefer potter but whoever it I will get behind as he’s manager of my club - onwards and upwards 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Out of all the names on that miserable betting odds list, Ralph Hasenhüttl easily comes top. Would be quite pleased this.

to be fair, he did a very good job at RB Leipzig, and while at Southampton with only a total net spend of roughly 57m since 2018 (when he joined).

Edited by MaVilla

Just now, Eastie said:

I know it won’t be hassenhuttl that's for sure  - fact ! but why bother - if Gerrard wants the job it’s his as you will see - and it is clearly believed he wants the job but it’s not worth the hassle posting anything  more - will stay off site until the new manager is revealed - same thing with grealish people were told he was leaving but got dogs abuse  because people didn’t  like it . 
I would prefer potter but whoever it I will get behind as he’s manager of my club - onwards and upwards 👍

How do you know for a fact it won't be Hassenhuttl?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If people really want me to believe Gerrard would absolutely be a failure, they kinda have to demonstrate what it is that makes him a bad coach. So far, nobody has been able to do that. 

I think he could be pretty good. Maybe even very good.

But the most expensive player he’s managed is Kemar Roofe. The Scottish league is so far behind the PL these days, and most of our rivals have experienced top flight managers who know what they’re doing.

Loads of bang average managers have won trophies in Scotland.

It’s not that I think Gerrard is shit. He’s just completely unproven.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Elite Journeyman and nothing Smiths level or below will cut it now.

You want results in this league and to starts seeing our youth and senior young team learn some new ways of movements, passes,skills, tactical presence, holding the ball all while doing something with it then I'm sorry but the Owners have to spend in this Area.

I tell you what will happen if we bring another Smith or on par coach is we won't reach a new standard and we will be revisiting the guys sacking in a season or two. At most with an on par guy is we become stable but we won't be a progressive side hurling upwards we will have a coach who just made us survive and I'd like to see more than that and its very reasonable to obtain.

Money is not a factor for our Owners and its honestly now they can bring quality in and give him a nice January transfer kitty which should be appealing.

2 hours ago, dukes said:

Surely we should at least be looking to draw against the top teams, i find your reasoning totally defeatest.

Lol, I'm not saying we shouldn't. Pretty sure Smith himself said numerous times he aimed to win every game. But realistically more often than not the result of games against Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, etc. was going to be a loss for us with our squad last season, even with Grealish. He was missing for 5 of those 8 defeats to top 7 teams.

2 hours ago, dukes said:

Football is a squad game, and Smith (Villa) spent

In the last 5 seasons we have the 5th highest net spend of any club in Europe, Smith has overseen the lions share of that spend (Euro 330M over the last 3 seasons). Without the Grealish money, we'd have the highest net spend in Europe over the last 3 years.

Sure it is, but if the best players in that squad, the ones you've spent that money on (plus the one we ended up selling for £100m) end up consistently unavailable, then how much has been spent is kind of irrelevant. As has been pointed out before Bailey, Ings and Buendia have had 35 mins together this season. Pretty sure Smith had earnt the right to be given an opportunity with these players actually available and fully match fit (which I'm certain Bailey and Buendia haven't been for much of their limited playing time this season).

3 hours ago, dukes said:

After Christmas, Barkley was a crock of Sh1t and we were generally better without him.

Sure he wasn't good and had a crap attitude for much of second half of season. Not sure the injury that clearly affected his form or his bad attitude can be put on Smith. And even still we literally were not better without him, we lost fewer games with him than without him in the same number of games in 2021, and the losses we did have were top 6 teams and the Burnley game (see below). His replacements in the side until Grealish was back last two games were Nakamba, an inexperienced Ramsey or an unfit Sanson.

3 hours ago, dukes said:

Are you saying that we should just accept losing to Burnley (for example), because we had 4 players missing ?

I didn't say that and we didn't have 4 players missing either. As I said in my post, the Burnley loss was one of the few times we had what I'd argue was probably our strongest XI last season starting the game (Emi, Cash, Targett, Konsa, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, Barkley, Traore, Grealish, Watkins). My point with that game was that the score line wasn't really reflective of the overall performance, as the xg stats would seem to suggest.

3 hours ago, dukes said:

all too often form dipped, injuries happened and Smith (and his team) failed to get the most out of the players available to him.

I think it tended to be the injuries happened first, then the form dipped. And it's possible he did get the most out of the likes of Hause, Nakamba, Elmo, Davis, etc. it's just the gulf in quality between them and the likes of Grealish, Cash, Mings, Luiz, etc is actually quite big and would have an impact whoever the manager. However much we've spent, we clearly still don't have a full squad on PL starter level players like the top teams do.

Another interesting thing about the 2021 games of last season I just realised - if we'd taken the same ppg from our 2020 games in that season as we did in the 2021 games, where would we have finished? The answer is 11th. Where we ended up anyway. Hardly a disaster.

Why are some of us getting excited over a manager thats been annihilated 9-0 TWICE!! over the last season and a half 🤯 I Dont want managers with that on their CV at villa park 😤 and everyone needs to acknowledge this 

No Hassenhult ❌

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think he could be pretty good. Maybe even very good.

But the most expensive player he’s managed is Kemar Roofe. The Scottish league is so far behind the PL these days, and most of our rivals have experienced top flight managers who know what they’re doing.

Loads of bang average managers have won trophies in Scotland.

It’s not that I think Gerrard is shit. He’s just completely unproven.

All reasonable, except to say he isn't completely unproven. If he were, I could understand the point of view of some that he would be a disaster. 

His Europa League record for such a dogshit team from an amateur league where Kemar Roofe is a star is exceptional too, based on what you're telling me about the standard of player at his disposal. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If people really want me to believe Gerrard would absolutely be a failure, they kinda have to demonstrate what it is that makes him a bad coach. So far, nobody has been able to do that. 

Reasons given so far

He's scouse

He has a squeaky voice

His heart will always be Liverpool and cheer for them when we play them rather than his own team

Scottish Prem League is pub standard level and he tanked in Europe repeatedly

He will just use us as a stepping stone to get the Plop job as soon as Klopp does one.

He has no Prem management or even Championship management experience

He's scouse

He's not one of our own and Dean was

He looks a bit cheeky

Sky will care more about Gerrard managing Villa than the actual club and players itself

He scored against Villa several times

His great great great great great great grandad's prison bunk mate supported Birmingham City

He has a Kenny Dalglish tattoo on one testicle and Robbie Fowler on the other

He's a bit scouse

• Like 1
  • Haha 3