The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whilst i agree with the sentiment the danger is that we are a club with owners who will put money in but a top class academy

any manager coming here to make a 2 year audition will pick the former over the latter and im not sold on where that could leave us, look at say rodriquez at everton, as soon as ancelotti had gone he wanted out

we need a manager that even if he does leave due to being successful after say 2 or 3 years he leaves us with the academy lads looking like the next decade of the club

i would say that any new manager needs to buy into the academy. i trust the board on that much. and considering gerrard was liverpool's youth coach before becomming a manager, i trust him to buy into it too

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely this.

We can chuck another £100m at the squad in January and still go down if we try to cut corners with the managerial appointment.

The recruitment aspect is an interesting one. I assume there will be money in January for the new manager, and it would be nice to have a guy in charge that players relish the chance to play for. Many players around the world would have grown up hero-worshipping Gerrard through the TV. The chance to play for him at a big club with money and ambitions, especially if you're a quality midfielder, would be quite the lure I reckon. 

I'm not saying that he'd be my no.1 choice necessarily, but I also don't think we should lump him in with Lampard and Terry just because they were players of the same era. He's now managed over 190 games for Rangers, and coached the youth at Liverpool.

"In November 2016, days before retiring as a player, Gerrard had an interview for the vacant managerial post at League One club Milton Keynes Dons, but said that he was not ready for the job.[175]

In January 2017, he was appointed youth coach at Liverpool, effective from February.[176][177][178] On 11 April, it was reported that Gerrard would be taking charge of the Liverpool Under-18 side ahead of the 2017–18 season after impressing Jürgen Klopp and Alex Inglethorpe with his work ethic, knowledge and attitude towards academy coaching"

Wiki

I can't say I know too much about his style of play, but I bet Lange and Purslow would know enough. Purslow in particular will know about his character on and off the pitch. I've long detested Gerrard as a player as I always thought he was a nasty piece of work, can't stand Liverpool and all the "Stevie G" media gushing bullshit. But that nastiness would have played some part in driving his talent and ambitions to become a winner. We need some of that if truth be told. He could've easily joined Neville and Carragher earning millions on Sky, but chose to take-on a pretty broken Rangers which I guess says something. 

A lot will hinge on the coaches, and I guess we'll have ample resource for the next manager to try and hire the best. If Gerrard is to be the new man, then I think he stands a good chance of attracting good players in January, as well as getting a tune out of the ones we have. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, macandally said:

My only worry is his age and the fact he has backed out of a couple of roles recently (think Spurs and Newcastle?).  Is his heart still in it?

He is only 63/64 I think. He is young enough to get sacked before age becomes an issue :) We could easily get a good 5 years of management

• Like 2

Just now, tomav84 said:

i would say that any new manager needs to buy into the academy. i trust the board on that much. and considering gerrard was liverpool's youth coach before becomming a manager, i trust him to buy into it too

see i dont

i cant shake the thinking that because he will eye the post klopp liverpool job he will be on the clock from the minute he lands at VP and will therefore go with older heads, not quite steve bruce buying jedinak and whelan and **** us long term as long as he got his promotion but that kind of thing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Dear god do not sack Neil Cutler.

aside from sentimental value, why not? the coachng staff are all responsible for the bad year we've had and in fact cutler is the one remaining coach that has been here since the start of the year where we've been largely poor.

Just now, tomav84 said:

aside from sentimental value, why not? the coachng staff are all responsible for the bad year we've had and in fact cutler is the one remaining coach that has been here since the start of the year where we've been largely poor.

Neil Cutler is the GK coach. 

• Like 1

As shit as Lambert was, didn’t we have problems getting some of his backroom team out of Norwich?

I could’ve sworn that we had to bring in coaches that hadn’t worked with Lambert before. At least 1 or 2.

One of my biggest concerns is that we keep Danks and MacPhee and stop a manager bringing in all of his own team.

Edited by jacketspuds

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

It could also be argued that Martinez' form has dipped since he joined Villa. He was excellent at Arsenal for the half season before we bought him and just won the FA Cup. So he joined us on a really good run of personal form. As we have got our coaching hands around him his form has deteriorated 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Neil Cutler is the GK coach. 

i know?

he's still part of the coaching team and has input with tactics. you see him stood up chatting to deano during games. think they're chatting about goalkeeping?

9 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

From this thread, bits taken from The Athletic

Let's not forget it's Gregg Evans behind this info in the Athletic. Knows as much about dealings at the club as a witch doctor knows about open-heart surgery.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

One of my biggest concerns is that we keep and Danks and MacPhee and stop a manager bringing in all of his own team.

I agree, the new manager must be allowed to select his own backroom and he should have zero pressure on him to retain any of the incumbents 

• Like 2

Just now, est1874 said:

Let's not forget it's Gregg Evans behind this info in the Athletic. Knows about as much about dealings at the club as a witch doctor knows about open-heart surgery.

evens is a crafty one. last one to put his article out there. comes across well written, but actually is just pieced together info taken from the journos that actually know what's going on

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

From this thread, bits taken from The Athletic

I'd be amazed if the Athletic knew anything at all. They might have a contact, a player maybe but I doubt they have anyone on the inside that would have a real idea of whats going on. Probably been fed a few tit bits and fabricate the rest for hits.

• Like 1