The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Having lived in Glasgow throughout Gerrard’s time at Rangers I know how loved he is here. My rangers supporting mates think there’s no chance he makes the move. I wouldn’t be against the it and would have him top of the list of names that are mentioned on here. The clubs here operate on pennies compared to the premier league and Gerrards done a very good job. They’ve had some decent results in Europe as well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

MON was a fairly miraculous moment to be fair. You can debate on how we did with him but that moment he came in for the presser was a big surprise and a great moment at a previously fairly worrying time having been linked to some awful managers.

Yes it was a new dawn 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Why would Gerrard be such an unpopular appointment exactly?

Early 80s - aside of local derbys villa v Liverpool were always feisty affairs. There's a few well documented incidents.

Then of course Houllier who treated the whole club with so much disrespect - topped off with his Anfield antics.

Looked at an online poll today it was a no from 50% of voters. (Would you want Gerrard)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dubliner said:

Yep Rangers topped a group ahead of Benfica in the Europa League last year while going unbeaten in the league. 

Pretty impressive

And went how far after that? Benfica are a poor side now and the rest of the group was weak

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Getting rid of Smith for Gerrard is quite the gamble. 

I'm excited by the prospect but I can also imagine in a couple of years we might be having the same arguments. 

If he gets us into the top 6 then it wouldn't be too much of an argument as then we are in a better position to attract a bigger name imo.

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Here we go with the 'No Prem Experience' line. May I remind you that Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel had no premier league experience either. Stop getting hung up on the PL experience b*ll*cks!

Spot on.

1 hour ago, 1974Centenary said:

Hypothetical question.....If Klopp were to resign today after their latest loss,do you think Liverpools owners would go for Gerrard?

No. They would be looking for someone with more credentials to achieve their current targets.

Villa are nowhere near that stage yet so it's a bizarre comparison.

1 hour ago, 1974Centenary said:

Then hes not good enough for the Villa!

Based on your above comment?

Would you rather we got Eddie Howe instead?

1 hour ago, macandally said:

If this is supposed to excite the fan base I fear Purslow has again misjudged the mood music.  Gerrard is not the "significant step forward" that he promised, I would argue its a significant step back.  Rangers to Villa, what a joke!

Considering what he's done up there with them, I would say it's a good move if he is appointed.

1 hour ago, bose said:

I’d be bitterly disappointed if we appoint Gerrard. Done well with Rangers in a two horse league where Celtic have imploded. Big gamble, not worth it.

Not really, he had a big task of stopping Celtic achieving 10 in a row which was a massive task initself.

Last season Rangers went undefeated for the whole season.

He's also taken Rangers further in Europe than we have witnessed with Villa in the last 20 years.

He has taken an average Rangers team into the last 32.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

That last paragraph sums up why we shouldn’t have sacked Smith…it’s a poor list of names, just poor.

So do we just ignore our form of 2021 Nick?

Should we have just kept Smith and piled more misery onto the club, players and the man himself.

We have been very poor indeed and a changing of the guard is the right call imo.

58 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Gerrard has done ok in a boring pointless 2 horse race in Scotland.

Why does that mean he is tye right person for this job.

See my response to @bose above and what he has achieved with Rangers on a shoestring budget.

I think Gerrard will improve Villa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Gerrard or not, this is an important point.

We've been too nice for far too long in every aspect of the club.  On Friday, Southampton came at us like it was a grudge match.  I was trying to remember what we might have done to piss them off so much, but the reality was that they just really, really wanted it.

The top managers seem to be liked by their players, but equally respected and even feared.  The siege mentality of the likes of Tuchel, Klopp, Guardiola unites the group, and the club, and makes everyone outside the enemy.

We're too **** nice, we've been too **** nice since 1982, and we need someone that's absolutely determined to win football matches, whatever it takes.

Agree with this. We haven’t had a manager with any real grit in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Steve said:

It won’t be Gerrard, Terry, or Lampard I feel. It’s the lazy bookmakers trying to make a quick buck. 

Bookmakers are not lazy trying to make a quick buck. 

They are clever people who pretty much never fail to make a buck because they know absolutely nothing, totally zero about who is going to be the next manager of anyone. 

They purely manipulate their odds based on what bets have been placed with them to ensure they make a profit regardless of the outcome. 

The number of times the "favourite" hasn't been appointed/signed or betting has been suspended and nothing has come from it. 

They are a mechanism, not a spy network. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

No doubt about it mate I would love it, but it would be short lived. Roma have played 12 this season, won 6 drew 1 lost 5. He won’t be at Roma for long. Has last 3 appointments have shown that things always take a turn, I’d give him two seasons and I’ll be surprised if he’s still at Roma. Spurs had the same idea when bringing him in, the Amazon documentary was a brilliant watch largely down to Jose. 

Sometimes those that  seem lost just need the right place to find their feet again.

I think the level someone like Jose would lift this club to could be far beyond what we have experienced in nearly 40 years. Sometimes cubs just need that spark again. I've never understood why we have never looked for a top manager to move us forward. Always average to low end. Little or no experience of European or top level management. It's one position in the club we've always gone cheaper option.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Purslow didn't say that. It was a line about actively searching for a replacement on the OS. In reality, informal processes become formal now the change has been made.

You’re right. Just read it again and it doesn’t specifically mention the break. So fingers crossed the work had already begun, informally! 

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Gerrard or not, this is an important point.

We've been too nice for far too long in every aspect of the club.  On Friday, Southampton came at us like it was a grudge match.  I was trying to remember what we might have done to piss them off so much, but the reality was that they just really, really wanted it.

The top managers seem to be liked by their players, but equally respected and even feared.  The siege mentality of the likes of Tuchel, Klopp, Guardiola unites the group, and the club, and makes everyone outside the enemy.

We're too **** nice, we've been too **** nice since 1982, and we need someone that's absolutely determined to win football matches, whatever it takes.

Even if all that's true. Stevie G would be straight in the firing line. He would get very little slack / grace period.

Gerrard knows this. I don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Early 80s - aside of local derbys villa v Liverpool were always feisty affairs. There's a few well documented incidents.

Then of course Houllier who treated the whole club with so much disrespect - topped off with his Anfield antics.

Looked at an online poll today it was a no from 50% of voters. (Would you want Gerrard)

When Ron Saunders was appointed nobody wanted him. Everybody wanted Brian Clough. It really doesnt matter what the fans think. 

47 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

We couldn't continue with Smith, something was not right behind the scenes - great bloke, Villa fan but his time has passed.

I don't think it's coincidental that John Terry has emerged on Twitter these past few days and I think everyone knew on Friday what was coming.  Based on the Matt Targett post match interview.

I don't know who's coming in but I'm pretty sure others at the club do.  

You are assuming that Dean was the person who was responsible for stuff not being "right behind the scenes".

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

And went how far after that? Benfica are a poor side now and the rest of the group was weak

They've got to the last 16 of the competition the last 2 years running.

With their budget that's an achievement.

Beaten some decent sides along the way too for example Feyenoord and Porto. 

What more could you really expect? Should they be winning it?

• Like 1

We need someone that will push Lange and Purslow to give them exactly what they need. I don’t know what happened with our summer business but to come out of it with no midfield reinforcements, when everyone could see that it is our weakest area by far, is not good enough.

I feel like Smith was let down heavily in this regard, and it is one of the factors that cost him his job as performances suffered as a result.

• Like 1

Just now, pintpotvilla said:

Won 1 trophy in 3 years in what is pretty much a 2 team league (aided by a complete implosion from Neil Lennon who wasn't in a fit state to be a football manager). For comparison Fonseca won the double in each of his 3 seasons at Shakhtar after Dynamo Kyiv had the upper hand before his arrival. And Fonseca would be an average appointment.

• Like 2