The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He does. He doesnt inspire me but I cant deny he has beat us enough times over the years that I respect him. I would be fine with it, we would stabilize, but it would be a bit underwhelming.

He has taken a smaller club than ours to europe in the premier league before with a lower spend tho. But yeah he isnt exciting. Maybe thats what we need I dunno.

I wouldn't be against him either.  Nice bloke too.  Depends on who else is genuinely achievable 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The bookies don't have any inside information though - it's all just guesswork. They were completely flat-footed by Houllier, for example, and were with OGS before we got Lambert.

The stopped taking bets on Moyes too. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I consider Smith better than them so yes the list is underwhelming.  You don’t sack somebody if the person you are likely to bring in is poorer and that list is.  That list has regression written all over it and even trying to look at it optimistic you can’t say any of those match the ambition we have been led to believe we have.

With respect I've missed DS getting us into europe. For all the fawning about last season we didn't actually finish top half in the end. I'd certainly say he's produced more than Lampard who was incredibly lucky to get Chelsea job but I don't see how he can be deemed better than Nuno tbh.

Got Valencia into top 4 a few years back which if you've studied them since 2016 will realise it's not an easy club to work at and regardless of how they sign players his achievements at Wolves were very very impressive.

Poor fit for Spurs but even then they were much the better team in the meeting in early October. Nuno wouldn't be our first choice but I don't really see on what basis in his career he's deemed a poorer manager than DS.

Sean Dyche is a better manager than Smith aswell but I wouldn't want him for his style as just wouldn't excite me. Would love Rodgers but not realistic he'd quit Leicester to join us I'm afraid. He's getting linked with Man. United now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He does. He doesnt inspire me but I cant deny he has beat us enough times over the years that I respect him. I would be fine with it, we would stabilize, but it would be a bit underwhelming.

He has taken a smaller club than ours to europe in the premier league before with a lower spend tho. But yeah he isnt exciting. Maybe thats what we need I dunno.

He doesn't inspire me either. What has he won? If we're aiming for the top 8, and then 6, and then 4, find someone who has been there. Or find someone young who might be the next great manager. Let's not hire from the usual merry-go-round. The managers on the merry-go-round are there for a reason: They're competent but don't win things. We already had that: Dean Smith. If you've let Dean go, you'd better get an upgrade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Calm down he’s only had 11 games! Another flavour of the month manager!

Palace have beaten Man. City and Wolves in last two games. Should've beaten Arsenal aswell who showed v us they're pretty good currently.

Likes of Conor Gallagher and Andersen at the back would massively improve our first 11 currently. He's doing o.k for inexperienced prem manager.

If you take out Dean's first 11 games last season than his prem record is very mediocre so he'd qualify as flavour of the month manager aswell with that criteria.

• Like 1

A lot of the comments coming from Spurs about Nuno makes me think he might struggle for a job for a bit. Apparently basically doesn't 'do' man management, doesn't engage with players, etc. Which sounds like a nightmare in anything but perfect circumstances. Plus at Wolves he had the dodgy Mendes connection and pretty much a Portuguese B team for a squad.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

If I were advising Steven Gerrard, and he came to me saying he wanted to take the Villa job as a stepping stone to managing Liverpool, I might gently remind him that there are absolutely no Villa managers in the last quarter of a century or so who succeeded in using time at Aston Villa as a stepping stone to better things. Not a single one.

I think, to quote Mervin King, that only demonstrates what a "poor decision-making machine' we have been for a long time, if anything.

Very worrying that the leading candidate is not obvious. At the relevant moments: Deano was an inspired choice, O'Neill was a present surprise, Lambert was clear cut. Now, we are hoping for the miraculous permutation manager, who understands the league & the players & the club & the city. I reckon, that leads either to Nuno or a wildcard like the Dane. Not any ex CFC nor LFC wannabes.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Palace have beaten Man. City and Wolves in last two games. Should've beaten Arsenal aswell who showed v us they're pretty good currently.

Likes of Conor Gallagher and Andersen at the back would massively improve our first 11 currently. He's doing o.k for inexperienced prem manager.

If you take out Dean's first 11 games last season than his prem record is very mediocre so he'd qualify as flavour of the month manager aswell with that criteria.

Judging a manager based on 11 games is laughable and you can’t changed my mind on that.  He might end up having a fabulous managerial career at the top end but after 11 Palace games in the top league, I need far more.

We couldn't continue with Smith, something was not right behind the scenes - great bloke, Villa fan but his time has passed.

I don't think it's coincidental that John Terry has emerged on Twitter these past few days and I think everyone knew on Friday what was coming.  Based on the Matt Targett post match interview.

I don't know who's coming in but I'm pretty sure others at the club do.  

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

Judging a manager based on 11 games is laughable and you can’t changed my mind on that.  He might end up having a fabulous managerial career at the top end but after 11 Palace games in the top league, I need far more.

Of course. But DS record in premier league if you take out first 11 games of last season is nothing to write home about either let's be honest. Perhaps Man. City will come calling post Pep to get Grealish happy but I very very much doubt it. Certainly not comparable to Nuno who finished 7th twice with newly promoted team twice. Or even Sean Dyche who finished 7th in 17/18 season with a miniscule budget. So those two are a bit more advanced than "flavour of month"

This CEO & board has credit in the bank for me when it comes to manager selection. They picked Dean Smith and it was a great success in my view.  No manager lasts forever. He got us up and kept us up playing some good stuff. Maybe they know we need someone else to take us forward.

I am looking forward to what they come up with next.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I don't think I can remember a time when a Villa manager was sacked and I was dreading the next appointment. Odd.

Every single time, for me.  That's part of why I rarely rejoice when one goes. Even when McLeish got pied off it wasn't certain they wouldn't replace him with Trevor Francis.