Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry @Tayls but I’ve read some shit on here.  But you’ve taken the biscuit with that comment: Have you already forgotten we were 7 points off safety with 4 games to go 2 seasons ago yet managed 2 wins and 2 draws to stay up. 

seriously get a grip. 

Well, let’s see what happens. 14 games. How many wins are you saying? 

• Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

Blimey. I’ll say 2 wins, and 5 draws. 11 more points to put us on 38 for the season. Hope it’s enough! 

You said a second a go you couldn’t see another win! As long as we stay up which I have no doubt we will, its all good. It’s a transition season.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You said a second a go you couldn’t see another win! As long as we stay up which I have no doubt we will, its all good. It’s a transition season.

It was 3 hours ago, and I was being over dramatic. I do think we are a bad side though… 

Yes it is a transition season. Been far too many of those lately. 

• Like 1

Its not easy to see where the next wins coming from but hopefully on the law of averages we should get one. But to actually name who it's going to come against isn't easy...... Burnley, Leeds? Hopefully it's Brighton.

19 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Blimey. I’ll say 2 wins, and 5 draws. 11 more points to put us on 38 for the season. Hope it’s enough! 

Given where we finished last season, while 38 points may keep us up, it cannot be seen as anything other than abject failure this season. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont agree that we are a bad team and no way this thread should be even relevant. Currently we are being poorly trained or coached but the players are there

Agree, it blows my mind that a team this strong on paper is performing so poorly. The only question I have: is it the coaching/training or is it the players mentality?

19 minutes ago, tinker said:

Its not easy to see where the next wins coming from but hopefully on the law of averages we should get one. But to actually name who it's going to come against isn't easy...... Burnley, Leeds? Hopefully it's Brighton.

There's this psychological phenomena. Lots of people don't think they  will change a lot in the next few years. But when looking back, they also say that they have changed a lot compared to how they were a couple of years ago. People tend to underestimate how much they will be able to change in the future, naively expecting their current self will always largely be their future self.

I think this phenomena extends to more than just towards people and their perceptions of themselves but to everything. Such as expecting the bad form of a football club to always continue on. That's why the law of averages works, it helps maintain people's perspective towards the situation. An exceptionally bad time is not likely to continue on, there is likely(although not always) to be a regression to the mean.

• Like 1

This thread is probably relevant given how poor we have been, but it shouldn't be. We should be nowhere near the drop.

Some people say the players aren't good enough, let's examine this:

• Coutinho - OK not the player he was, but still a top international player
  • Martinez - honestly, at his best, he is one of the best GKs in the world
  • Digne - over 40 caps for France, who have been one of the best national teams in the world for the last 5-10 years
  • McGinn - one of the most frustrating players in our squad because of how bad he can be, but he is a world beater for Scotland, can't be coincidence, won Scotland player of the year last 2 years beating likes of Robertson, McTominay and Tierney
  • Watkins/Ings - both been rubbish this season but Watkins 14 goals last season (more than Gabby or Carew ever got for us) and Ings is proven PL goalscorer and got over 20 goals for Southampton a couple of seasons ago
  • Buendia & Bailey - our 2 big signings last summer were bought after their best ever seasons and they got multiple goals and assists last season, why we can't get the best out of either I don't know (particularly Bailey) but if we were to sell both I am sure they would flourish somewhere else
  • Ramsey - one of the best young players in the country without a doubt

I would say we have weak links in the team (as do most teams in this league other than City and Liverpool), like Cash and Luiz (and Mings when he has his brainfarts), but they're still all international players so must have something about them. Konsa is hyped by our own fanbase (a lot of people say only he and Martinez are the players they would NOT sell) so the fact we are struggling so badly really isn't because we have to have a huge overhaul of our players.

Those who are saying we are going to struggle to get to 40 points, let's see if you're right, things definitely look bleak right now, but I can tell you for certain if that does become the case and we're in a battle to reach 17th like 2 years ago I do not know how Gerrard can survive and if he isn't sacked in the summer or before then for such a dire run of form then you would have to question what the hell is going on because we shouldn't be finishing below midtable with the players we have. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tinker said:

Just beating Norwich and Bunrley at home will be enough to keep us up. 33 points and then you get 2-3 draws on top of that given our GD is o.k compared to a few below us.

Have to say though given we usually struggle v them Burnley will be looking forward to playing us twice in the closing weeks, exactly the sort of team they'll be expecting points off in the run in.

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

I can’t see us picking up another win this season, we just don’t have the desire to win and teams are all starting to fight now. I’m wondering if maybe 5 more draws would give us enough points to survive this season? But saying that, when was the last time all three relegated sides finished with less than  32 points? 

When is Gerrard getting sacked in this equation though....I mean we could sack him after 10 winless games for example and put Gary Mac in charge and he could win a couple like he did back end of 10/11 and that would keep us up.

That needs to be factored in as I can't see how Gerrard could go double figures in terms of winless run and no big pressure from NSWE...already we're not happy on here and it's only been three games without a win although big warning signs in how we've played.

17 hours ago, Icarium said:

Agree, it blows my mind that a team this strong on paper is performing so poorly. The only question I have: is it the coaching/training or is it the players mentality?

If it is the coaching/training then that applies to both the present and the previous coaches. The same applies to the system SG is now trying to play, the way DS had been playing, had not been working prior to his dismissal either. The constant is the players and only a few of them have been consistently performing at the level they are capable of during this season. 

Spurs being spursy again. Beat top of the table Man City then trailing to bottom of the table Burnley (with 15 minutes to go) in the next game.

If things remain the same after 90 mins then we will be 7 points from the relegation zone, having played one more game. Getting a bit too close for comfort! 

Edited by Made In Aston