Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

Just now, sne said:

Sure, sure, but it should also be taken into account when looking at those stats. As I'm sure we both did.

Obviously the years in the Championship I did not forget....

Like I said it's the facts, it's a high percentage regardless.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

So only judge him on the 51.96% at Roma? What about CL games, do they count?

Taking about Steve Bruce at Villa here. Shakhtar, Braga, Porto, Roma, Pacos de Ferreira are all top flight. The Championship isn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Looking at that table it seems above 40% is quite respectable for the top flight

It does but that table is restricted to Villa managers only. Rogers is over 51% at Leicester and at the extreme end Pep has a win % of over 70% and Conte is in the high 50s and 60s

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

It does but that table is restricted to Villa managers only. Rogers is over 51% at Leicester and at the extreme end Pep has a win % of over 70% and Conte is in the high 50s and 60s

Yeh but realistically we had good times under Little, Gregory and MON and it’s that kind of relative success we all wish to return too.

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So only judge him on the 51.96% at Roma? What about CL games, do they count?

It's a different kettle of fish. His overall performance as a manager wasn't good enough for Roma and his second season saw him and the team regress - so is underperforming at a club of that stature a good sign? 

The jury's out with Fonseca - I don't rate Gerrard either, to address your point before, but you can't laud what Fonseca did with Shakhtar and dismiss Gerrard's achievements at Rangers, as they're both easy gigs for any manager who isn't mental. 

• Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I think the argument against is that they are not in the top leagues. 

Maybe but they are leagues that regularly produce teams that goes for in the CL and the other European cups. The Russian war in Ukraine obviously halted this to some extent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh but realistically we had good times under Little, Gregory and MON and it’s that kind of relative success we all wish to return too.

I agree we have. I just want to see our club push forward and try and be the best it possibly can. A manager that has won just about everything at club level as a player and has had a very successful managerial career with Champions League experience and getting an unfancied side to the knock out stage would be great for Villa. The fact that his footballing philosophy is to play nice football and keep the ball on the ground is something I like too. But hey, if people think that is not good enough for Villa that is their prerogative, we all have differing views on what we want. 

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not comparing, it's there in black and white and cannot be changed...

Like it or not, it's a high percentage.

If not comparing what relevance does it have to anything? It is in black and white but it needs to be viewed in context otherwise it is utterly misleading. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree we have. I just want to see our club push forward and try and be the best it possibly can. A manager that has won just about everything at club level as a player and has had a very successful managerial career with Champions League experience and getting an unfancied side to the knock out stage would be great for Villa. The fact that his footballing philosophy is to play nice football and keep the ball on the ground is something I like too. But hey, if people think that is not good enough for Villa that is their prerogative, we all have differing views on what we want. 

Are we still talking about Fonseca?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's a different kettle of fish. His overall performance as a manager wasn't good enough for Roma and his second season saw him and the team regress - so is underperforming at a club of that stature a good sign? 

The jury's out with Fonseca - I don't rate Gerrard either, to address your point before, but you can't laud what Fonseca did with Shakhtar and dismiss Gerrard's achievements at Rangers, as they're both easy gigs for any manager who isn't mental. 

Fonseca has done it in 5 clubs across multiple countries and got SD to the knockout stage of the Champions League. That is more than Gerrard has achieved

We can go on about winning percentages, but ultimately it comes down to the quality of players available, resources to buy new players and experience in elite European leagues.

Not a fan of Fonseca personally, we should be looking for a manager who is hungry and capable of taking us to that next level of the Top 6. For this type of manager, you will be taking some risk, but if the risk pays off…

Theres one or two managers in the Bunsesliga as well as the Austrian league who could be that type, but there’s smarter people than me at the club who can assess whether they could take the club forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well I mean, if we change Dean's name to a sexy Portuguese one, will we get better?

He’d be foiled at his first press conference conducted in that fine Great Barr tone. Unless he could borrow Bielsa’s interpreter. 

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 08.55.05.png

Edit: Win% is obviously the last column

3 of those 5 teams already had at least a 50 percent win percentage the season before he came in. And one of those(Roma) was only one win short from getting 50 percent. 

He's managing good teams, that's the main reason he has that win percentage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

3 of those 5 teams already had at least a 50 percent win percentage the season before he came in. And one of those(Roma) was only one win short from getting 50 percent. 

He's managing good teams, that's the main reason he has that win percentage.

Yeah that's usually the case for most managers thf.

Â