Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

I know next to nothing about this guy so can’t comment, always amazes how much some know about people like this…

I said a while back well run clubs sound out targets before pulling the trigger. I believe we did it in 2019 around the time of the Leicester hammering.

I suspect we either have been or will be doing the same now. With 4 loses on the spin and other issues I think that is prudent.

So do I believe we’ve made some form of contact with Fonseca? Yes more than likely.

Clearly though he is a name in the frame at Newcastle a club that leaks more than our defence, Craig Hope certainly gets inside information. It isn’t hard to imagine this is how this has got out, how firm our enquiry has been is debatable and I suspect he has just drawn conclusions on the Villa side as no way is that leaking.

My money is on us having made contact very loosely and it has been leaked to try and apply pressure to Newcastle.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know next to nothing about this guy so can’t comment, always amazes how much some know about people like this…

I said a while back well run clubs sound out targets before pulling the trigger. I believe we did it in 2019 around the time of the Leicester hammering.

I suspect we either have been or will be doing the same now. With 4 loses on the spin and other issues I think that is prudent.

So do I believe we’ve made some form of contact with Fonseca? Yes more than likely.

Clearly though he is a name in the frame at Newcastle a club that leaks more than our defence, Craig Hope certainly gets inside information. It isn’t hard to imagine this is how this has got out, how firm our enquiry has been is debatable and I suspect he has just drawn conclusions on the Villa side as no way is that leaking.

My money is on us having made contact very loosely and it has been leaked to try and apply pressure to Newcastle.

It’s sensible to have replacements in mind. It would be a shambles to go weeks with an interim. Newcastle were linked to ‘bigger’ names - but given their situation, it does deter names. Either way, we are a well-oiled machine, compared to previous years and I do not envision a scenario where a shortlist doesn’t already exist as a contingency plan. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

No you're right, he's elite because win %. Who needs context when a single number can tell you everything you need to know. Hell, let's get Neil Lennon, he's got a 58% career win %. What an hilariously shallow appraisal.

Win % is surface level nonsense, I agree.

Although as soon as he is appointed we can just sack him and appoint a better manager on less wages. Then sack him and appoint an even better manager. Then sack him...

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

No thanks, a footballing conman. Did nothing at Porto and dreadful at Roma especially against the teams around them and just pipped the giants of Sassuolo by goal difference for the conference league spot

I was hoping you'd have posted here as I know you follow Italian football. I don't massively and this disappointed me as I'd be quite excited if he was appointed. How did he end up leaving Roma? There's certainly more 'weaker' sides in Italy so you can finish midtable with a chimp in charge - don't get that luxury in the PL.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It’s sensible to have replacements in mind. It would be a shambles to go weeks with an interim. Newcastle were linked to ‘bigger’ names - but given their situation, it does deter names. Either way, we are a well-oiled machine, compared to previous years and I do not envision a scenario where a shortlist doesn’t already exist as a contingency plan. 

I’d argue that any well run club should at all times have a short list of candidates that would be their starting point in the event they need to make a change.

The average appointment in the PL lasts around 2 years so it is only prudent to have a short list of managers for what is still the most important role in a huge business.

Doesn’t mean you are in contact with them but if I were a CEO I’d have a list of names to turn to that fitted what my club was looking for, the style, the players etc.

I’d argue if you are a CEO/Director of Football and you aren’t doing that you aren’t doing your job.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Win % is surface level nonsense, I agree.

Although as soon as he is appointed we can just sack him and appoint a better manager on less wages. Then sack him and appoint an even better manager. Then sack him...

I was hoping you'd have posted here as I know you follow Italian football. I don't massively and this disappointed me as I'd be quite excited if he was appointed. How did he end up leaving Roma? There's certainly more 'weaker' sides in Italy so you can finish midtable with a chimp in charge - don't get that luxury in the PL.

Tbf @Zatman thinks every manager in the world is crap or overrated :D;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d argue that any well run club should at all times have a short list of candidates that would be their starting point in the event they need to make a change.

The average appointment in the PL lasts around 2 years so it is only prudent to have a short list of managers for what is still the most important role in a huge business.

Doesn’t mean you are in contact with them but if I were a CEO I’d have a list of names to turn to that fitted what my club was looking for, the style, the players etc.

I’d argue if you are a CEO/Director of Football and you aren’t doing that you aren’t doing your job.

In reality though - it's just a list of names.

So purslow may have a password protected document containing:-

Howe 

Lampard 

Fonseca 

Gerrard 

So what ? - it's bit like the mythical "5 year plan" it doesn't actually mean much.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Tbf whoever we appoint someone will post  

"I'm done with villa if it's xxxxxx"

From the names mentioned, Lampard is the worst suggestion I've seen. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

In reality though - it's just a list of names.

So purslow may have a password protected document containing:-

Howe 

Lampard 

Fonseca 

Gerrard 

So what ? - it's bit like the mythical "5 year plan" it doesn't actually mean much.

If you think it is just a list of names, ok. 

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

From the names mentioned, Lampard is the worst suggestion I've seen. 

Tbf none of them are great.

I think everyone is hoping/thinking that CP/JL have a guru we've not heard about lined up. 

Given the decisions made in the summer - I wouldn't be to confident. 

As outside bet - it might be someone who is currently assistant manager somewhere overseas.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Tbf none of them are great.

I think everyone is hoping/thinking that CP/JL have a guru we've not heard about lined up. 

Given the decisions made in the summer - I wouldn't be to confident. 

As outside bet - it might be someone who is currently assistant manager somewhere overseas.

Please tell.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And this link is no doubt his agent applying the squeeze 

Same as player transfers, the last minute link to someone else to give you the upper hand in negotiations 

I see the latest rumour for Toon is Unai Emery

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well I mean, if we change Dean's name to a sexy Portuguese one, will we get better?

The simple addition of one letter so his name becomes Deanho would be worth at least 5 extra points per season I imagine. Quite frankly it’s selfish that he hasn’t already done this, and he should be instructed to change it by deed poll during the international break if he makes it through the Southampton game.

8 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Any excuse for this

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I would be very happy if that is true. Not that it would mean that Smith is on thin ice but if we are talking to Fonseca then we are prepared to pay very very high wages for a PL manager. It is a sign that NSWE and CP are looking to go shopping in Fortnam & Mason

Â