Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It’s sensible to have replacements in mind. It would be a shambles to go weeks with an interim. Newcastle were linked to ‘bigger’ names - but given their situation, it does deter names. Either way, we are a well-oiled machine, compared to previous years and I do not envision a scenario where a shortlist doesn’t already exist as a contingency plan. 

I'd like to think the 'shortlist' emanates from pre-lockdown form when Smith was allegedly "on the brink"....

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Win % is surface level nonsense, I agree.

Although as soon as he is appointed we can just sack him and appoint a better manager on less wages. Then sack him and appoint an even better manager. Then sack him...

I was hoping you'd have posted here as I know you follow Italian football. I don't massively and this disappointed me as I'd be quite excited if he was appointed. How did he end up leaving Roma? There's certainly more 'weaker' sides in Italy so you can finish midtable with a chimp in charge - don't get that luxury in the PL.

He was pretty much sacked mid season as Roma had a dreadful season. They even appointed Mourinho while he was still in charge 😂

The football looked good as Roma beat the lesser teams in Serie A and had good players but were dreadful against the teams he was supposed to challenge. They won one game out of 14 against the other teams in the top 8 and got a few beatings along the way. Last season wasn't really a title race in Italy either 

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So Steve Bruce has the highest win percentage since Taylor's first stint. That's a long time ago...

Respect.

He also managed exclusively in the 2nd Tier probably the most in Villa history 

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So Steve Bruce has the highest win percentage since Taylor's first stint. That's a long time ago...

Respect.

That shocked me too. I appreciate that most of the games were in the Championship but still it was a surprise. More surprisingly is that we have never had a manager that has over a 50% win rate. It is strange that a manager that has exceeded 50% at 5 different clubs in three different countries and has got Shakhtar Donetsk to the knockout stages of the CL is dismissed by Villa fans as being just a sexy name. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That shocked me too. I appreciate that most of the games were in the Championship but still it was a surprise. More surprisingly is that we have never had a manager that has over a 50% win rate. It is strange that a manager that has exceeded 50% at 5 different clubs in three different countries and has got Shakhtar Donetsk to the knockout stages of the CL is dismissed by Villa fans as being just a sexy name. 

Which were the 5 clubs he got a 50% win rate and when did they happen?

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Hi Captain Obvious! I was going regularly to Villa Park back then and I remember it well thanks.

Yeah and...

So was Taylor's stint in the Championship.

...and win % in the lower leagues should not be compared to % in the top flight IMO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd like to think the 'shortlist' emanates from pre-lockdown form when Smith was allegedly "on the brink"....

I’d hope so. I honestly thought he’d walk after the draw with Everton or they’d sack him. Given how quick we’ve seen investments in youth etc, NSWE don’t mess around. If Smith doesn’t know how to resolve the replacements for Grealish and how they fit makes you wonder how much input he had. A clean break is good for both parties

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Hi Captain Obvious! I was going regularly to Villa Park back then and I remember it well thanks.

Yeah and...

So was Taylor's stint in the Championship.

One season of Taylor’s was in the Championship so not the same as Bruce at all. Comparing Bruce’s win percentage to those who managed us in the top flight is utterly flawed and pointless.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Looking at that table it seems above 40% is quite respectable for the top flight. Any ideas what Smith‘s win percentage is since promotion. 

As for Fonseca. I don’t know anything about him. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

...and win % in the lower leagues should not be compared to % in the top flight IMO.

But it will though as it's there in black and white whether we like it or not.

You have to be in it to win it after all...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Just now, TrentVilla said:

One season of Taylor’s was in the Championship so not the same as Bruce at all. Comparing Bruce’s win percentage to those who managed us in the top flight is utterly flawed and pointless.

I'm not comparing, it's there in black and white and cannot be changed...

Like it or not, it's a high percentage.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

But it will though as it's there in black and white whether we like it or not.

You have to be in it to winter after all...

Sure, sure, but it should also be taken into account when looking at those stats. As I'm sure we both did.

Â