Pre Match Thread

maqroll

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Should be a win, anything less would be a disappointment.

That should be crazy talk, but honestly after watching their first half today, it’s very hard to disagree. 

• Like 2

I think Nuno will set them up quite negatively, he won't want another defeat and I think he's a naturally cautious manager.

Our selections are increasingly difficult - which is a real sign of progress.

I think we can be sure that Martinez will play in goal, and that we'll have fullbacks, so Targett and Cash will play I'd have thought.

I think we need to play with three in the middle, so Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey are in.

And we'll play at least two centre backs in Konsa and Mings.

----------------------------------Martinez---------------------------------------

Cash---------------Konsa----------------Mings-----------------Targett

-------------------------------------Luiz--------------------------------------------

-----------------------McGinn-------------Ramsey--------------------------

I think that's our base - eight of them - it leaves three other places to be filled.

We have to squeeze; Hause, Tuanzebe, Buendia, Traore, Watkins and Ings into those three places - and in a couple of weeks time we'll also have to try to find room for Bailey and maybe Sanson.

For Spurs I think we'll go with the three centrebacks and for me Hause has earned another go, even though Tuanzebe has done absolutely nothing wrong - I think if Tuanzebe is selected over him, Hause will start looking for the exit.

I think Watkins and Ings up top - so we'll again be leaving our record signing on the bench.

----------------------------------Martinez---------------------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa-------Hause---------Mings------------Targett

-------------------------------------Luiz--------------------------------------------

-----------------------McGinn-------------Ramsey--------------------------

--------------------------Ings---------------Watkins---------------------------

It'll be interesting to see what we do for Wolves though, Bailey and Buendia will be chomping at the bit and we might go with four at the back.

Nice problems.

• Like 4

A bit too much confidence in here. I do think we will win but it’s still Spurs and they’ve got plenty of quality and can cause us damage if they’re on their game. We need to boss it from pretty early on and not let them hit their stride at all. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Spurzzzz after Watkins apparantley.  🤣

5-6 years younger than Kane.  Playing well,  important to the team.

Using the Levy formulae Watkins is worth almost 200 M.

They couldn't give Kane away on current form.  

He'll offer £4m plus Eric Dier 😃

• Like 1

I usually hate having to wait until Sunday for a game but I’ll happily wait this week after the United win. 
Spurs aren’t a bad team and won’t be happy about the manner of the derby defeat. Kane looks uninterested so hopefully that continues for a while longer. 
I’d be surprised if we change either formation or team. Hause has to keep his place after two clean sheets on the trot. The midfield looks a nice balance and I think Ings and Watkins will click soon.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Hause has to start for two reasons.

1) He's done nothing to warrant being dropped.

2) He's actually our player. 

Agreed - in my mind Tuanzebe is our player because I'd be very confident the deal for him to join permanently is already done. I also think Tuanzebe fit this system better. However I'm always convinced EVERYONE should be playing for their place. Hause did that and deserves another start off the back of it. 

Slight worry that Kane has yet to score and we know what happens when a player in a drought plays us...

That said, the level we're played at for the last few matches should be enough to get something out of this. 3 points would be amazing.

On 26/09/2021 at 07:51, Robtaylor200 said:

I would like to see Hause keep his place and change nothing at the back.

This.

And not just because Hause deserves to keep his place but Hause is a Villa player and Axel is a Man Utd player. We should always be trying to prioritise our players into the team ahead of loanees 

• Like 2

Just now, theboyangel said:

We’ll get there! 

Saturday made me dream that it is possible to have it next season. Realistically, I am aiming for a top half finish for Villa (8th to 10th) but the last 3 performances and the result on Saturday has given me a little hope for something better 

• Like 1

I'd like to see a change in the team simply to rotate the players.  We have a decent squad now so there's no need to flog one set of 11 players to death any more.

I think this will be the biggest lesson we will have to learn if we are to be successful in the next step, where more games will demand it.

• Like 1