Energy Bills

Genie

1 minute ago, Xela said:

You'll have to stop having those lobster and peacock sandwiches for lunch! 

I wish.

To be fair I should be in credit, I live off them £3 meal deals from Tesco when I'm out and about, although I have been known to have the odd 'grab bag' walkers crisps, so maybe they have put it over the edge. 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

203.9 today 

Mental. 

In a month it has gone from 183.9 - 189.9 - 203.9 (i usually go every fortnight)

Some people will genuinely not be able to put fuel in their car. 

Since the Government  knocked 5p off fuel duty the cost of petrol/diesel has gone up around 30-35p a litre netting them another 6-7p in VAT meaning they have basically done f all and they continue to:

image.jpeg.99ee23f18fd22d61e9421a7cb3f3c702.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Since the Government  knocked 5p off fuel duty the cost of petrol/diesel has gone up around 30-35p a litre netting them another 6-7p in VAT meaning they have basically done f all and they continue to:

image.jpeg.99ee23f18fd22d61e9421a7cb3f3c702.jpeg

You forgot the tax that attracts vat, their the big winners in the price hike, can't believe their not being called out for it tbh.

Noticed the garages by me have stopped displaying the price on their signage outside the garage , you have to pull up to the pump to find out , good mind to pull up to the pump and break down for a couple of hours , that will cost Boris and his boys . 

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

All my fuel goes on like a expenses credit card for work. My manager today. "keep an eye on your expenses, its been noted it was a fair bit higher last month". 

With observations like that, its why they have reached senior management level! :D 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

With observations like that, its why they have reached senior management level! :D 

True.

He's never right anyway, he said the other day, I should start coming to the office more, an surely I miss seeing my work colleagues. Really?  They are not my friends! ( in Kevin and Perry voice) 😂

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

True.

He's never right anyway, he said the other day, I should start coming to the office more, an surely I miss seeing my work colleagues. Really?  They are not my friends! ( in Kevin and Perry voice) 😂

Goodbye, FOREVER!

• Haha 1

Just reading the June 2023 predictions thread and a fair few VTers seem to think the average energy price cap is going to drop dramatically by then to anywhere between 1k and 2k (it is almost certainly going to be around £2800 in October). Any reason for this optimism?

Edited by markavfc40

Did 100 miles today at roughly 25 miles to the gallon. 

So 4 gallons which is 18.18 litres

203.9 per litre = £37.06

'kin ell! 

12 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Just reading the June 2023 predictions thread and a fair few VTers seems to think the average energy price cap is going to drop dramatically by then to anywhere between 1k and 2k (it is almost certainly going to be around £2800 in October). Any reason for this optimism?

It wont drop. Itll stay around the October level for 2023. 

Gas and power 2023 contracts are currently roughly 200, which is four times the historic norm, and about the average of the last six months.

Has anyone got involved in Ripple energy where you buy a share of a windfarm?  Just looking at their latest blogs if seem their savings comparisons are based on the Governments long term energy cost forecasts which haven't been updated since 2020.   If current levels were maintained the payback period would be something like 3-4 years only.

We all hope that the current levels will come down eventually but ..........

Another topic, but saw a farmer in Reddit discussing future food price hikes.

Her example was hay and feed for her cattle, went from $4 a bag to $20 a bag and these pass-on costs will likely hit next year when this year's cattle go for processing.

Maybe becoming veggie will become the norm soon!

42 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There is just no end in sight is there. Where will the line be before the government step in because they have done f all so far as the 5p off fuel duty they have more than made back in VAT.

Wait til people start remortgaging on these higher interest rates too. 

At the moment, people are still paying their fixed rates on whatever mortgage they have and relatively low energy bills because nobody is heating their homes at the minute. 

Wait until December/January when it’s cold and some of those cold people have also remortgaged…

When I come off my fixed rate in Feb next year, my mortgage cost will be £140 higher per month. My energy at that time will likely be £200 more a month too. Pair those with the cost of food, petrol, tax increases and whatever else has gone up, I think in Jan ‘23, I’ll be about £450 worse off than Jan ‘22. 

I can afford it, because I have to afford it. Holidays, new car, eating out, takeaways, coffee, the pub, renovation work, you name it, that’s all finished for me. Now, if that’s what I’m doing, a person that can afford these increases (just), what the hell is a person who can’t afford it going to do? 

I honestly can’t see anything but a major crash in our economy and a fairly lengthy recession. House prices will drop leaving a lot of people in negative equity whilst paying extortionate mortgage rates. People will just stop driving anywhere. Tradesmen will suffer massively as people scale back. Restaurants and pubs will shut as they can’t afford to buy the food in and nobody is walking through the door anyway. 

This s*** is going to get serious. And I think we’re in it for the long run. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Ye this is what i said a couple of nights ago, further up. This isnt a short lived thing, based on forward markets, the high prices are set in for years. E.g. if you bought a five year contract today it would cost you more than triple the historic normal price we were used to. That's very high prices in 2027! Demand destruction can/will undo some of this at some point though, but the problem is supply isnt consistent/dependable the other side of the coin owing to this want to move away from Russian gas. 

Edited by turvontour

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wait til people start remortgaging on these higher interest rates too. 

At the moment, people are still paying their fixed rates on whatever mortgage they have and relatively low energy bills because nobody is heating their homes at the minute. 

Wait until December/January when it’s cold and some of those cold people have also remortgaged…

When I come off my fixed rate in Feb next year, my mortgage cost will be £140 higher per month. My energy at that time will likely be £200 more a month too. Pair those with the cost of food, petrol, tax increases and whatever else has gone up, I think in Jan ‘23, I’ll be about £450 worse off than Jan ‘22. 

I can afford it, because I have to afford it. Holidays, new car, eating out, takeaways, coffee, the pub, renovation work, you name it, that’s all finished for me. Now, if that’s what I’m doing, a person that can afford these increases (just), what the hell is a person who can’t afford it going to do? 

I honestly can’t see anything but a major crash in our economy and a fairly lengthy recession. House prices will drop leaving a lot of people in negative equity whilst paying extortionate mortgage rates. People will just stop driving anywhere. Tradesmen will suffer massively as people scale back. Restaurants and pubs will shut as they can’t afford to buy the food in and nobody is walking through the door anyway. 

This s*** is going to get serious. And I think we’re in it for the long run. 

Yeah I can't help but feel we're on the brink of massive recession again. Things are looking quite bleak. 

Â