Energy Bills

Genie

32 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I don't get why energy companies get to hold a surplus. It's my money, I'd rather have it in my account than sitting with a massive energy company. It's 100% to cover their risk. They get an accurate reading from my smart meter, I've never defaulted on any bill, so why do they think holding 500 quid of my cash against future use is ok? I'll pay them when I use the energy thanks very much. 

Most smart meters will update the supplier every 30 mins on usage. So as you say why we should pay estimated monthly amounts across a whole year is bonkers. I don't have a few hundred quid in credit with EE for my mobile bill, I pay for what I use. The choice should be there for customers, pay for what you use exactly every month, or go for the smoothed out over the year approach.

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Most smart meters will update the supplier every 30 mins on usage. So as you say why we should pay estimated monthly amounts across a whole year is bonkers. I don't have a few hundred quid in credit with EE for my mobile bill, I pay for what I use. The choice should be there for customers, pay for what you use exactly every month, or go for the smoothed out over the year approach.

I think the difference is that energy usage is much higher in the winter than the rest of the year. The suppliers would like to know you’ve budgeted for it and spread the cost out over 12 months. If not then people will get to January, have built up no balance and say they can’t afford to keep the lights and the heating on.

Supermarkets dropped fuel prices diesel around £1.72 petrol £1.44. Most bp esso's etc still at £1.87 for deisel that's around 15p more a litre same with petrol it's disgusting they are not also dropping prices, I'm boycotting them, we all should. Still £1.95 at services too.

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

. Still £1.95 at services too.

Ah yes, the good old service stations with their "haha, where else ya gonna go for fuel, Mr Running On Fumes ?"

Words removed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Supermarkets dropped fuel prices diesel around £1.72 petrol £1.44. Most bp esso's etc still at £1.87 for deisel that's around 15p more a litre same with petrol it's disgusting they are not also dropping prices, I'm boycotting them, we all should. Still £1.95 at services too.

It’s all very similar here, supermarkets and the garages that were always about 10p a litre higher all doing diesel at or close to 1.78

Petrol on the decline with falling oil. Petrol should be 145 max now really.

UK and european energy still a huge issue going forward and not really in the press right now in terms of forward price and cost projections/impacts.

The energy prices went to 600 700 800 late summer last year and so government stepped in for the winter and billed businesses 200. The problem is that the support stops from end of March next year, and the current price for the next 12 months from apr23 is 350. So industry will see a near doubling again on top of the 200 which was already quadruple historic normal. Will government intervene again and support from April. The costs and debt to do so would be rediculous.

18 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Petrol on the decline with falling oil. Petrol should be 145 max now really.

UK and european energy still a huge issue going forward and not really in the press right now in terms of forward price and cost projections/impacts.

The energy prices went to 600 700 800 late summer last year and so government stepped in for the winter and billed businesses 200. The problem is that the support stops from end of March next year, and the current price for the next 12 months from apr23 is 350. So industry will see a near doubling again on top of the 200 which was already quadruple historic normal. Will government intervene again and support from April. The costs and debt to do so would be rediculous.

The annoying thing is that they have options, but don’t want to take them.

1) Properly tax the gas/oil producers, and redistribute this money in terms of support for the public.

2) disengage electricity from the cost of gas.

• Like 1

159.9 unleaded

185.9 diesel

That’s what the prices of the BP garage I’m currently parked by say anyway.

As an aside, anyone else constantly wearing a wooly hat indoors at the moment? I take it off when going to sleep (and in the shower, obvs) but otherwise I’m basically living in it.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

We pay electric monthly (and LPG gas as and when a bill arrives) and the electric used to be between £38-50 per month.

After it went up I've been pretty careful and have managed to keep it at around £85-90 per month.

We had visitors for a week and this month it was £107. I'll have to charge the words removed next time they arrive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

159.9 unleaded

185.9 diesel

As an aside, anyone else constantly wearing a wooly hat indoors at the moment? I take it off when going to sleep (and in the shower, obvs) but otherwise I’m basically living in it.

£1.72 at Asda earlier, on the same road BP £1.87. Its wrong!!

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

159.9 unleaded

185.9 diesel

Me too. I wear two jumpers and a jacket inside now. My wife refuses to put the heating on and it's -5 outside where I am. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Me too. I wear two jumpers and a jacket inside now. My wife refuses to put the heating on and it's -5 outside where I am. 

I've been wearing ski socks everyday for the past 3 weeks plus a base layer thermal under my normal top. Heating still comes on when it gets extra chilly but in previous years i'd be blasting the heating all day. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yep. Wear a beanie hat indoors. Means I don't really need the heating on anymore apart from the odd blast.Very rarely gets below 16 degrees in my flat and thats in the middle of the night when its below freezing out. A hat, t-shirt, joggers ( @mottaloo - slazenger specials), and socks is all I need now to keep toasty. 

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

I've been wearing ski socks everyday for the past 3 weeks plus a base layer thermal under my normal top. Heating still comes on when it gets extra chilly but in previous years i'd be blasting the heating all day. 

Same, In previous years I'd just have the heating on all day at 23 degrees! Much more disciplined now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

At what temperature do I have to worry about the L in my LCD TV becoming S, and my TV becoming F'ed?

That code took me longer to work out than it should have!

My first thought was that you were saying L changes to S and TV changes to F, so LCD TV becomes SCDF. 

• Haha 2

Â