Energy Bills

Genie

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yep. Wear a beanie hat indoors. Means I don't really need the heating on anymore apart from the odd blast.Very rarely gets below 16 degrees in my flat and thats in the middle of the night when its below freezing out. A hat, t-shirt, joggers ( @mottaloo - slazenger specials), and socks is all I need now to keep toasty. 

Same, In previous years I'd just have the heating on all day at 23 degrees! Much more disciplined now. 

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

My small home office has central heating but I just use a quick 10 minute blast on a halogen heater and it stays warm for hours. 

If most people in the UK are doing similar, the UK must be using a lot less gas compared to previous years!

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That code took me longer to work out than it should have!

My first thought was that you were saying L changes to S and TV changes to F, so LCD TV becomes SCDF. 

FFS

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

That code took me longer to work out than it should have!

My first thought was that you were saying L changes to S and TV changes to F, so LCD TV becomes SCDF. 

What on earth does your TV have to do with French Railways?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

What on earth does your TV have to do with French Railways?

As it seems to have caused some confusion, I will ask my question in another way. How cold does it need to be to bost my telly?

26 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

As it seems to have caused some confusion, I will ask my question in another way. How cold does it need to be to bost my telly?

Samsung LCD TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your LCD TV.

Samsung LCD TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° Fahrenheit (-20° to 45° Centigrade). Storing your LCD TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV.

Samsung

There are wider temperature range LCD TVs so check vs your make and model I guess

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heard today fuel (Diesel) should be around £1.50 a litre now. A few motoring organisations are looking to investigate how some fuel companies are holding the prices. Still around £1.80 at most, Supermarkets £1.70ish, EG fuel stations £1.85+.

Profiteering yet again is the answer.

• Like 2

Adjusting my central heating flow temperatures, went down to 55 degrees but it was too low and struggled to raise the temp of the house to 19 degree so raised it to 60 degrees, seems better now but it's a bit warmer outside so it maybe related to that. 

My gas usage is less than half it was last year, after a boiler change in the spring. Last year's usage would have been at least £500 a month in winter, that's a 3 bed semi , 1930's . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tinker said:

Adjusting my central heating flow temperatures, went down to 55 degrees but it was too low and struggled to raise the temp of the house to 19 degree so raised it to 60 degrees, seems better now but it's a bit warmer outside so it maybe related to that. 

My gas usage is less than half it was last year, after a boiler change in the spring. Last year's usage would have been at least £500 a month in winter, that's a 3 bed semi , 1930's . 

I spoke to my plumber about that, he was saying that in his view it’s a bit of a false economy. The water isn’t as hot so then it takes longer for the house to get up to temperature = boiler running for longer.

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

I spoke to my plumber about that, he was saying that in his view it’s a bit of a false economy. The water isn’t as hot so then it takes longer for the house to get up to temperature = boiler running for longer.

I can see his point , hence me raising the temp. A condensing boiler runs better with a low return temp so the lower you can get the flow temp the more efficient it becomes, unless is can't raise the temp of the house to level you require in a decent time.

Incidentally once the flow temp gets to 55, 60 or whatever you set it to the boiler heat exchanger stops and just the pump runs, so it's not using that much gas, just electricity to run the pump but obviously it runs the pump until the room stat hits it target. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

One reason why it's   it a false economy is that higher flow temps are more likely to add to wear and tear on the boiler, so higher maintenance/shorter time before replacement  needed

First day the market fell below 200 for any meaningful forward period today. Since before the Ukraine Russia conflict started. So 10 or 11 month price low. That's a huge cause for optimism as price is seriously being undermined if we continue to see demand destruction and adequate supply.

Â