Energy Bills

Genie

Shits about to get real with all this isn't it. I am sure there will be help for those with next to f all, there simply has to be, and I think there will be some help for your average Joe but I have a feeling the Tories won't freeze bills at their current average (£1900), as opposition parties and the sector themselves are calling for, and people are going to be left trying to find a couple of thousand this winter and twice that come April.

It is not just domestic bills where this is going to be felt though is it. Hospitality sector is going to be destroyed. Your local boozer is either going to have to increase the price of a pint by two or three fold or shut so expect plenty to close over the coming months. Then you look at your local shops already barely making ends meet they will simply go under. Add in the care sector, schools etc. It is going to be carnage unless this government act now with really radical policies and tens of billions to back them up. I won't be holding my breath. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s starting to be reported that her plan for the Energy crisis is to freeze bills. Not sure what level, or how it will be funded yet.

She only wants to get in, after that whatever she says will be worth as much as when she said we'd build 250k social houses and ended up with 0. 

It's doesn't matter though, no one will notice.  AS LONG AS SHE GETS POWER.

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

She only wants to get in, after that whatever she says will be worth as much as when she said we'd build 250k social houses and ended up with 0. 

It's doesn't matter though, no one will notice.  AS LONG AS SHE GETS POWER.

She can’t hide anymore, unlike in her previous roles. 
It will make for fascinating viewing.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s starting to be reported that her plan for the Energy crisis is to freeze bills. Not sure what level, or how it will be funded yet.

This would be great. I’d want a way out of the fix we booked into at 40% above the current cap though if so, if that’s not possible then people will be punished for trying to avoid the coming price hikes.

8 minutes ago, chappy said:

This would be great. I’d want a way out of the fix we booked into at 40% above the current cap though if so, if that’s not possible then people will be punished for trying to avoid the coming price hikes.

I did wonder this a little while ago, will people who took the plunge and fixed be able to access the new cap price? Or will they be punished for being proactive?

Ideally this government will state that nobody pays over x amount, regardless of contract… but then, it’s this government.

• Like 1

They need a massive and fundamental long term plan to switch from fossil fuels. Heat pumps, wind farms, battery farms, huge roll out of  EV on and off street charging points, sustained and significant investment in public transport. However none of that will happen. Might get a sticking plaster for now. 

This is the tory party which is incapable of long term strategic thinking. We now have no UK industrial strategy.  The planning reform bill is a mess and nowhere near enough social housing is being built.  HS2 was hacked  to pieces.  Huge shortage of skilled labour. They put politics over wealth creation, division over unity. That is why we left the common market as it is a self inflicted gunshot to ourselves.

India has now overtaken the UK as the world's 5th largest economy and the tories haven't finished yet unless they finally get thrown out.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, choffer said:

Not a perfect analogy but this is a good thread for those trying to get their heads around the issue of gas supply and cost. 

I haven’t read the replies, but he’s only half right. There are two different forms of pricing electricity. The method he talks about and also a method (newer ) where the contract between government and energy generator is essentially “cost plus” - basically the cost of generating it ( e.g. wind , or solar) plus a bit of profit. It needs all the contracts to be migrated to that model. It doesn’t help gas prices directly, or electricity generated from gas, but it will further speed up transition away from gas, reduce demand for gas and lead, you’d assume to reduced gas prices too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I haven’t read the replies, but he’s only half right. There are two different forms of pricing electricity. The method he talks about and also a method (newer ) where the contract between government and energy generator is essentially “cost plus” - basically the cost of generating it ( e.g. wind , or solar) plus a bit of profit. It needs all the contracts to be migrated to that model. It doesn’t help gas prices directly, or electricity generated from gas, but it will further speed up transition away from gas, reduce demand for gas and lead, you’d assume to reduced gas prices too.

Surely supply and demand shouldn't be a thing. Baked beans 25p selling like hot cakes, so they go up to 90p. Wrong in every way, blatant profiteering and no need!!

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Just shake the magic money tree again!

david-brent-brent.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Surely supply and demand shouldn't be a thing. Baked beans 25p selling like hot cakes, so they go up to 90p. Wrong in every way, blatant profiteering and no need!!

Well yes I completely agree when it’s heating, but how do auctions work?

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I did wonder this a little while ago, will people who took the plunge and fixed be able to access the new cap price? Or will they be punished for being proactive?

Ideally this government will state that nobody pays over x amount, regardless of contract… but then, it’s this government.

I went with the British Gas fix in June/Jul. While there were exit fees for a different supplier it is possible to move to another British gas tariff without charge. So I'm presuming you can change to the standard variable. Although I didn't look further into it. So hopefully if it turns out to not be a good move on the fix I can move back to variable and the only damage will be the 3 months paying the currently higher than variable fix. 

Who knows whether it will go like that, if that ends up being the situation. 

Is it ok to mention insulation and energy efficiency yet?

Or are we still sulking about that day the M25 was rubbish and it made all the polar bears extinct?

Imagine the cost of sufficient nuclear energy, but spent on needing less energy…

• Like 1

Â