Energy Bills

Genie

Paid for by borrowing. So the state is taking on more debt to fund the profits of the energy companies. Marvellous. Usually there are at least a few extra steps of obfuscation before shovelling taxpayer money into private profits.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Paid for by borrowing. So the state is taking on more debt to fund the profits of the energy companies. Marvellous. Usually there are at least a few extra steps of obfuscation before shovelling taxpayer money into private profits.

The news will no doubt spark the creation of a load of “energy companies” sprouting up with addresses of 2 bed-semis in places like Swindon. 

• Like 1

The right thing to do would have been freeze the cap at £1971 and let people keep the 400 pound so bills would be under 1500 pound technically with also the green energy levy gone.

Instead they are letting the cap increase 27% from £1971 to 2500 but what happens when that 400 pound runs out next April or whenever it is?

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The right thing to do would have been freeze the cap at £1971 and let people keep the 400 pound so bills would be under 1500 pound technically with also the green energy levy gone.

Instead they are letting the cap increase 27% from £1971 to 2500 but what happens when that 400 pound runs out next April or whenever it is?

It'll be spring and they don't really need to think about it until winter 2023 by which time there might be a different Prime Minister so they can deal with it.

But seriously, £2,500 price cap plus £400 rebate seems ok.  Better than what the price cap was going to be in 3 weeks time and much much better than market price in January.

Also with the probable NI tax cut, possible VAT cut to come, that will assist with energy bills. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Energy companies absolutely loving it - sell the same amount of energy at double the price with guaranteed payment for the extra they are selling.

Although they have to buy the energy in at much higher prices, so they're not really loving it. Then they've got the people who can't or won't pay, which hits them (and us). The ones loving it are the ones who dig the gas and oil and are selling it into the European market at huge margins, for no extra costs to them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It'll cost us 100 billion. Where's that coming from?

Me, you, the bloke next door. We'll be paying it off as an additional charge on our bills for the next 20 years

Shoukd prove popular with the masses… er not

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Me, you, the bloke next door. We'll be paying it off as an additional charge on our bills for the next 20 years

I only plan to live for 10 more years so the jokes on them! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I only plan to live for 10 more years so the jokes on them! 

I'm thinking about topping myself next year just to spite them. That'll teach them! 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shoukd prove popular with the masses… er not

Why did Labour have to sell off our gold and nearly bankrupt us in the last recession, if all we have to do is borrow??

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why did Labour have to sell off our gold and nearly bankrupt us in the last recession, if all we have to do is borrow??

Labour didn’t sell off all the gold in the last recession. That is just not even close to accurate, amazing how it’s a line you often hear from Tory MPs talking shite and repeated in the media

Brown sold off the gold at he bottom of the gold market. If we were in recession, it wouldn’t have been the bottom of the gold market.

Half the Gold in reserves was sold between 1999 and 2002. The recession was some 6 years later

Please check the facts… pretty please

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Labour didn’t sell off all the gold in the last recession. That is just not even close to accurate, amazing how it’s a line you often hear from Tory MPs talking shite and repeated in the media

Brown sold off the gold at he bottom of the gold market. If we were in recession, it wouldn’t have been the bottom of the gold market.

Half the Gold in reserves was sold between 1999 and 2002. The recession was some 6 years later

Please check the facts… pretty please

I kinda asked the question, you answered it, thanks.

Â