Match Thread: Villa v Everton

limpid

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

With the injuries Everton are there for the taking and I think Smith has it got it wrong with this formation. 

Well, it's a good thing we have the strongest bench we've ever had in the past 20 years and 3 more subs available...

• Like 2

What annoys me so much about the formation isn’t the formation itself, I actually quite like a 3-5-2, it’s the fact we’re playing it now all of a sudden.

How long have we being playing 4-3-3 and improving? We even played it for the first 3 games of the season because that’s the system I’d argue we’re most comfortable with. Everybody knows their role and we’ve just signed two quality forward players to play behind Watkins/Ings who could just slot into the system to make up for the loss of Grealish. But now we’re playing 3-5-2, why? Because both Ings and Watkins are fit therefore we have to change everything to fit them both in? It’s just daft. 

I absolutely don’t mind changing the formation every now and again if it’s tactical against the better sides but the fact we have played it again today shows it wasn’t really tactical, it was to fit Ings into the side. 

I find it frustrating. We have three flair players on the bench in Buendia, Bailey and Traore and we’re not using them and our wide players are now Cash and Targett. 

Just seems daft to me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My point wasn’t about taking him off, it was about replacing him with a defensive player when we’ve already got 6 defensive players on the pitch and a youngster who never scores and has looked anonymous since the start of the game.

Smith should be ashamed playing so defensive against a weakened Everton team.

Absolutely agree pathetic management from Smith.

Let's just hold out for a point.  Dean Smith frustrates Mr he isn't a fan because a fan as manager would not make so many mistakes that he does.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

With Nakamba and Luiz we don't need 5 at the back. Hopefully we make the change to get some more attacking intent in the team. 

Yes, that is right. 5 at the back with Nakamba and Luiz in front is too defensive at home to Everton.

Need to change it up and go for the win..

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Thus is always the issue with us. I don't remember the last time we actually had a footballing philosophy. 

Nor me.

Although I don't know what that is.

Don't remember one in 1980/81 either... Hey ho !

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Axel shouldn’t be shoehorned in, he’s done nothing in his career so far. 

Watkins I understand but it should be Ings to make way. 

If he keeps persisting trying to play them both he will be under a awful lot of pressure because it ain’t working.

Watkins and Ings have played less than 150 minutes together....

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I don't like the formation at home and I do not like playing with a stupid number of defensive players in the 11. This line up and formation is a Southgate special. At home and no arsehole.

Back 3 was for Steer, not needed here, let's have a beer then we'll all cheer.